• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I need everyone's help, how do we send Polaris the Message?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
So the OP and everyone else wants more power and more reliability for the same (preferably less) money. Who doesn't?

Coming from an automotive background, I think the reliability (i.e. lack thereof) of sleds in general is completely whack. So far I've had MUCH better luck with my Polaris than my last Doo, so on the personal level I am satisfied. But I still think it's whack that sleds in general are time bombs.

On the Polaris, there are obviously some issues with either the motor design, build quality/tolerances or a combination thereof. The true extent is virtually impossible to guage as even on this site in this thread we have heard anywhere from 2% to 15% failure rates. IF you could pin down a true rate....how many of these are due to mods and half-baked DIY tuning/tinkering? We'll never know, but safe to say the same variables exist for all brands.

I agree that IF Polaris had come out with a new motor, with class leading HP in the Pro chassis....it would be an insane combo. Unfortunately, there's a reason you don't see knockout punches like that from large manufacturers these days.....and it looks a lot like $$$$. It seems you either get a recycled motor and new chassis, or vice versa, or a more generic chassis. I don't think anyone thinks any of these scenarios are 100% ideal.....so then the choice is up to you.

Last edited:

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Beamslayer, go to McCall. Ride your sled.

If you stay home because of what you have read on this forum might happen...... I may be forced to reconsider my opinion of you and call you a dumbass:p

If your sled is running, go ride it!

2600+ (abusive mountain) miles on my 2011
1500 + miles on GF 2011
900+ miles on my 2012

S

summithd

Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman, MT
www.summithdfilms.com
HEY POLARIS: I have a 09 Turbo'd Cat with almost 5000 miles on it, haven't done a daammmnn thing to the engine - NOTHING - and it just keeps running! But I really like the PRO chassis, handling and light weight - fix your engines issues and you'll have another customer!!

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
So the OP and everyone else wants more power and more reliability for the same (preferably less) money. Who doesn't?

Coming from an automotive background, I think the reliability (i.e. lack thereof) of sleds in general is completely whack. So far I've had MUCH better luck with my Polaris than my last Doo, so on the personal level I am satisfied. But I still think it's whack that sleds in general are time bombs.

On the Polaris, there are obviously some issues with either the motor design, build quality/tolerances or a combination thereof. The true extent is virtually impossible to guage as even on this site in this thread we have heard anywhere from 2% to 15% failure rates. IF you could pin down a true rate....how many of these are due to mods and half-baked DIY tuning/tinkering? We'll never know, but safe to say the same variables exist for all brands.

I agree that IF Polaris had come out with a new motor, with class leading HP in the Pro chassis....it would be an insane combo. Unfortunately, there's a reason you don't see knockout punches like that from large manufacturers these days.....and it looks a lot like $$$$. It seems you either get a recycled motor and new chassis, or vice versa, or a more generic chassis. I don't think anyone thinks any of these scenarios are 100% ideal.....so then the choice is up to you.

Some good points Jay. One thing is undeniable, all mechanical things break. Lets just put that to rest. Polaris engines seem to do it more often than others on a whole. I am basing this not off the forums, just from others that I know that ride (or have ridden) Polaris sleds. I don't see why asking Polaris to step it up is asking too much? If you have a great chassis, and the best selling mountain sled on the snow, why not re-invest your sales revenue into some engine quality control and testing. I think the weight vs. engine reliability argument is ridiculous. Unless you are talking about just plopping a Yamaha 4 stroke motor into this chassis, it doesn't make sense. Step 1, identify the problem. Step 2, fix it! Engineers need to ask the questions. Why are cylinder skirts breaking? Why are pistons flaking? What can we do to fix these issues? We are talking about sled engines here, not jets and rockets. I guess I just have high hopes than an American company would WANT to strive for perfection, not just crunch some numbers and come up with an acceptable failure rate. It's not like these things are inexpensive. Have you seen the video of the manufacturing process? It takes about 10 minutes to put one together on an assembly line. They are making money, no doubt about it. Sure, I am being a little idealistic. But hell, I think forking out $25,000 in the last 4 years gives me the right to be.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Some good points Jay. One thing is undeniable, all mechanical things break. Lets just put that to rest. Polaris engines seem to do it more often than others on a whole. I am basing this not off the forums, just from others that I know that ride (or have ridden) Polaris sleds. I don't see why asking Polaris to step it up is asking too much? If you have a great chassis, and the best selling mountain sled on the snow, why not re-invest your sales revenue into some engine quality control and testing. I think the weight vs. engine reliability argument is ridiculous. Unless you are talking about just plopping a Yamaha 4 stroke motor into this chassis, it doesn't make sense. Step 1, identify the problem. Step 2, fix it! Engineers need to ask the questions. Why are cylinder skirts breaking? Why are pistons flaking? What can we do to fix these issues? We are talking about sled engines here, not jets and rockets. I guess I just have high hopes than an American company would WANT to strive for perfection, not just crunch some numbers and come up with an acceptable failure rate. It's not like these things are inexpensive. Have you seen the video of the manufacturing process? It takes about 10 minutes to put one together on an assembly line. They are making money, no doubt about it. Sure, I am being a little idealistic. But hell, I think forking out $25,000 in the last 4 years gives me the right to be.
Very much agreed....was not trying to defend, just illustrate. Although I do think it is silly that people are afraid to ride their sleds because of bad news on the internet. If you are that scared of a breakdown.....mountain sleds are not the thing for you; any brand besides maybe Yamaha. The word "reliability" in this sport is strictly relative.

Premium Features