• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Diesal vs gas

Ford428CJ

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
Klamath Falls, Oregon
As mentioned above if you don't NEED a diesel don't get one. I have a Cummins now but my next truck will be a gasser for sure because I don't tow real heavy anymore. For just toy hauling a gasser is fine and much cheaper to operate!!

I will agree with that 100%! Cruise around town and pulling your trailer and going back and forth to work. Gas rig would be right up town for you.

Jan 29, 2008
I have a diesel now and will probaly never get another gas truck (except for a **** bagger truck)....regear???how big of tires do "these" people have?i have friends with lightly modded trucks with 15" wide 38's and they still pull just fine. The reason poeple buy diesels is so they can lift them and NOT have to worry about gearing and still be able to pass people (some trucks take a little bit of modding to do so).
My last truck was a gas got 12 mpg empty, my cummins gets 24 mpg unloaded and doesnt drop very much towing. Its also a good feeling pulling 12% grade hills in 6th gear with 2 sleds on deck and when pushing the skinny peddle being able to accelerate and pass people.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I have people using a gas 8.1 litre. They tell me mileage is 8-10 mpg with or without a trailer.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I have a diesel now and will probaly never get another gas truck (except for a **** bagger truck)....regear???how big of tires do "these" people have?i have friends with lightly modded trucks with 15" wide 38's and they still pull just fine. The reason poeple buy diesels is so they can lift them and NOT have to worry about gearing and still be able to pass people (some trucks take a little bit of modding to do so).
My last truck was a gas got 12 mpg empty, my cummins gets 24 mpg unloaded and doesnt drop very much towing. Its also a good feeling pulling 12% grade hills in 6th gear with 2 sleds on deck and when pushing the skinny peddle being able to accelerate and pass people.

What year is your truck?

Snorider

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2008
I have people using a gas 8.1 litre. They tell me mileage is 8-10 mpg with or without a trailer.

I have a diesel and a 8.1, they both pull like crazy and the unloaded mpg's of the 8.1 for me at least is around 13 +/- a little bit.

but not quite sure on the leaks of an 8.1 though. haven't had a single leak yet with 200k. but they do go through a qt of oil about every 1800 miles of hard pulling.

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
I have a diesel and a 8.1, they both pull like crazy and the unloaded mpg's of the 8.1 for me at least is around 13 +/- a little bit.

but not quite sure on the leaks of an 8.1 though. haven't had a single leak yet with 200k. but they do go through a qt of oil about every 1800 miles of hard pulling.
I saw an 8.1 with no leaks once, it had 34,000mi

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I have ~70,000 miles on my 05', no leaks ... I do go through a quart of oil in warmer weather every 3,000 miles .... for some reason in cold weather it doesn't seem to use as much oil.

I
Sep 6, 2008
A D5 espar installed on a diesel will solve any winter starting issues. No need to plug in this unit will heat up the antifreeze in about an hour. The 7 day timer will allow you to pre-program when you wish to start your vehicle.

D
Jan 17, 2010
Colorada
Diesel all the way

I just purchased an 08 Duramax. it is by far the best towing vehicle I have ever owned. I can pull a 22ft trailer with 4 sleds in it with no problem. Going up passes loaded down i can still blow by cars and trucks. I did some work on the truck-intake, exhaust, 6 gun tuner, and programmer and it flys up steep hills. Good luck finding a gas truck that can do that and be reliable and still get decent gas mileage. Remember when you go to purchase a diesel it is going to be more expensive but it will last twice as long as a gas truck. Any cold starting problems are worth the gain. Newer diesels have no problem starting in the cold.

W
Jan 9, 2008
MN
I will try to save you some time here. I am looking at this strictly based on a fiscal perspective...so don't get mad at me....the numbers do not lie!!!

As with most snowmobile riders, I am a contractor and go thru Pick-up Trucks like most of you go through girlfriends (a lot)!!! As a landscape contractor we haul 10,000lb trailers daily. And I have tried all makes of Pick-up Trucks....gas and diesel.

Here is what I know:
Diesel trucks I have owned : 05 duramax, 03 7.3 F350, 02 3500 dodge cummins, and an 06 6.0 F350
-- First of all, you had to even ask the question "Gas or Diesel"?
-- Diesels are a pain in the ***. They can haul the piss out of whatever is behind them, which is nice, don't get me wrong.
-- Diesel fuel seems to cost more now (don't know why, but it does). So to recover the cost of a diesel option you would need to drive your truck approx 200,000 miles to pay for the difference in diesel versus 87 octane (based on a Diesel engine at a $4,000.00 option, diesel at $3.00/gal and regular unleaded at $2.75/gal. That does not include $100 oil changes or diesel 911 at $9 to treat 50 gallons of diesel. (resale is better for a diesel right now, but that seems to be changing in our neck of the woods).
-- Trust me on this....a diesel out of warranty is going to cost you!!!! Sell it at 100k miles.
-- Diesels are great for work trucks, not for your personal vehicle. You step in diesel fuel at a pump, you might as well throw your shoes in the bed of the truck.
-- Every diesel I have owned, pulling a enclosed snowmobile trailer cross country average 10 to 14 mpg at 75 mph. (diesel dudes lie all day about fuel mileage or they drive 55 mph)
-- My current 2007 - 6.0 GMC 3/4ton gasser, pulling the same enclosed snowmobile trailer, gets 9 to 11 mpg at 75 mph.
-- A diesel dude will say he gets better mileage than above. He may get 16 or 17 mpg after he spends another $3k on a programmer, exhaust, and intake.
-- All of the additions are great, but there goes your 100k warranty.
-- I loved the pulling power of all of the diesels I owned for my personal pick-ups, but if you are only pulling a enclosed sled trailer go with the gas. You will save a ton of money and a ton of worries.
You may not have to drive all the time either, because the diesel dudes always seem to want to drive!!!!

Ford428CJ

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
Klamath Falls, Oregon
I will try to save you some time here. I am looking at this strictly based on a fiscal perspective...so don't get mad at me....the numbers do not lie!!!

As with most snowmobile riders, I am a contractor and go thru Pick-up Trucks like most of you go through girlfriends (a lot)!!! As a landscape contractor we haul 10,000lb trailers daily. And I have tried all makes of Pick-up Trucks....gas and diesel.

Here is what I know:
Diesel trucks I have owned : 05 duramax, 03 7.3 F350, 02 3500 dodge cummins, and an 06 6.0 F350
-- First of all, you had to even ask the question "Gas or Diesel"?
-- Diesels are a pain in the ***. They can haul the piss out of whatever is behind them, which is nice, don't get me wrong.
-- Diesel fuel seems to cost more now (don't know why, but it does). So to recover the cost of a diesel option you would need to drive your truck approx 200,000 miles to pay for the difference in diesel versus 87 octane (based on a Diesel engine at a $4,000.00 option, diesel at $3.00/gal and regular unleaded at $2.75/gal. That does not include $100 oil changes or diesel 911 at $9 to treat 50 gallons of diesel. (resale is better for a diesel right now, but that seems to be changing in our neck of the woods).
-- Trust me on this....a diesel out of warranty is going to cost you!!!! Sell it at 100k miles.
-- Diesels are great for work trucks, not for your personal vehicle. You step in diesel fuel at a pump, you might as well throw your shoes in the bed of the truck.
-- Every diesel I have owned, pulling a enclosed snowmobile trailer cross country average 10 to 14 mpg at 75 mph. (diesel dudes lie all day about fuel mileage or they drive 55 mph)
-- My current 2007 - 6.0 GMC 3/4ton gasser, pulling the same enclosed snowmobile trailer, gets 9 to 11 mpg at 75 mph.
-- A diesel dude will say he gets better mileage than above. He may get 16 or 17 mpg after he spends another $3k on a programmer, exhaust, and intake.
-- All of the additions are great, but there goes your 100k warranty.
-- I loved the pulling power of all of the diesels I owned for my personal pick-ups, but if you are only pulling a enclosed sled trailer go with the gas. You will save a ton of money and a ton of worries.
You may not have to drive all the time either, because the diesel dudes always seem to want to drive!!!!

Sorry but I will disagree on a few things!

For one, I bought a used Edge Juice with Attitude and a (new) cold air intake cost me $650. NOT 3k+. I havent done the exhaust (another $400 for 4" turbo back). I do 65mph and get 18mpg out of my Diesel with 35" tires and 4" lift empty. Towing my 26' enclosed trailer doing 65 and get 12 to 14. No faster then what I just posted. Exhaust is in the works in the future. 6.0L Ford, mind you.

#2) Here in Oregon, Diesel is $.10 more then 87. That was last week when I filled up. Might have changed

#3) Buy 911 that treats 250 gallons, not 50! Waste of Money for the 50gal treatment for $9. About $16 for the 250gal treatment @ Wally World.

#4)Oil Change.... Less then $60 for the Factory Motorcraft oil and filter @ Wally World. Not a $100+ Unless you live in Alaska!!!

I think your figures are a little off (unless you live in Alaska). Especially if you do it yourself! Like I do. Or your getting bent over the counter when you go to the shop too get all that done (lower 48 states)!!! Numbers dont LIE!!!! OUCH:eek:

Last edited:
C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
Sorry but I will disagree on a few things!

For one, I bought a used Edge Juice with Attitude and a (new) cold air intake cost me $650. NOT 3k+. I havent done the exhaust (another $400 for 4" turbo back). I do 65mph and get 18mpg out of my Diesel with 35" tires and 4" lift empty. Towing my 26' enclosed trailer doing 65 and get 12 to 14. No faster then what I just posted. Exhaust is in the works in the future. 6.0L Ford, mind you.

#2) Here in Oregon, Diesel is $.10 more then 87. That was last week when I filled up. Might have changed

#3) Buy 911 that treats 250 gallons, not 50! Waste of Money for the 50gal treatment for $9. About $16 for the 250gal treatment @ Wally World.

#4)Oil Change.... Less then $60 for the Factory Motorcraft oil and filter @ Wally World. Not a $100+ Unless you live in Alaska!!!

I think your figures are a little off (unless you live in Alaska). Especially if you do it yourself! Like I do. Or your getting bent over the counter when you go to the shop too get all that done (lower 48 states)!!! Numbers dont LIE!!!! OUCH:eek:
Great post, and hilarious.

I work in a shop. in ALASKA, and for you stroker fellas a full service synthetic oil change is gonna run you 135 bones. OUCH! Diesel here is 3.30 with my small discount from Fred Meyer. Rotella oil and a filter from Walmart isnt expensive, man up and change your own oil! The only people who have a somewhate difficult oil change are the cummins guys, but even thats easy with the intake off.

You gas guys probly do get great mileage in your NEW gas engine, but going over hills at rediculously high RPM when the diesel rolls it at 2200rpm doesnt make it worth it too me. (minus the 8.1L) which pulls like a tank, but from MY experience with the motors, is its a fuel pump thirsty hog.

Diesels arent that expensive too fix, once again, depends whether your willing too wrench on your own rig or not. Diffrent strokes for different folks.

Ford428CJ

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Great post, and hilarious.

I work in a shop. in ALASKA, and for you stroker fellas a full service synthetic oil change is gonna run you 135 bones. OUCH! Diesel here is 3.30 with my small discount from Fred Meyer. Rotella oil and a filter from Walmart isnt expensive, man up and change your own oil! The only people who have a somewhate difficult oil change are the cummins guys, but even thats easy with the intake off.

You gas guys probly do get great mileage in your NEW gas engine, but going over hills at rediculously high RPM when the diesel rolls it at 2200rpm doesnt make it worth it too me. (minus the 8.1L) which pulls like a tank, but from MY experience with the motors, is its a fuel pump thirsty hog.

Diesels arent that expensive too fix, once again, depends whether your willing too wrench on your own rig or not. Diffrent strokes for different folks.

Thanks!

One more thing I needed to add, too the above post..... If your hauling 7,000 to 10,000lbs all the time. Lets say 10,000lbs. You would be luck if that gas engine lived to be 80,000miles old! It would be wore out! Exhaust valves, seats and guides would be shot! Gas makes alot of egt unlike a diesel. That's why you see diesels live for 500,000 miles or more! Depending if they are treated good and have the proper maintenance done. Like they should with any engine (Gas or Diesel).

As for price of Diesel fuel creeping up. Its winter time and a lot of people still heat there homes with Stove oil (Diesel). So the demand goes up in winter time.

B
Jul 6, 2001
Watrous, SK
A cummins doesnt leak or burn oil like an 8.1 ;)

EDIT: or go through fuel pumps & AKyeti on heres 06 powerstroke STOCK out pulls the 8.1 we had

I'm not sure either. I traded my '01 with around 175K on it and the only leaks that truck ever had were those chitty GM trans cooler lines.

As for oil consumption, big whoop. Big blocks use oil, period. I originally ran Castrol Synthetic 5w30 in it and was going through a quart every 1500 miles. Switched to a semi-synthetic 5w30 and that dropped to nearly half of that.

Maybe I got a good one, or changed my fuel filter often enough, or didn't constantly run my fuel tank low, but my fuel pump was still original.

W
Jan 9, 2008
MN
Dont get me wrong, I love my diesels for pulling my equipment around that makes me money!!! Most of my trucks stay with us up to 80,000 to 100,000 miles. I have a full time mechanic and very nice shop for him to maintain the vehicles and equipment. He will not even let me keep any truck past the factory warranty. Maintenance on any vehicle is a snap. Repairs on the newer diesels are a *****!!!

Example as follows: 6.0 powerstroke injector replacement. First try to figure out which injector is bad. (that is a joke in itself) Lucky for me I have a $1,500.00 snap-on scanner with a $1,000.00 a year software upgrade. Takes me 10 minutes to find the bad injector. Lucky me!!! It was the left side of the engine, only 3 hours labor time to remove and replace. If it was the right side add another 1.5 hours to that time. After new parts (not used from a junkyard) I can change an injector out for about $300.00 parts only...no labor counted in. Not bad, like I (or my mechanic) had nothing better to do. Dealer cost on that repair $600 to $800. Had to do this 2x at 112,000 miles and 126,000 miles....sold it 2 weeks later to gung ho snowmobiler. He has 155k on it and has had no problems...yet!!!

I am not bashing Ford here, loved the truck, just learned the hard way...sell at 100k.

Every Diesel I have had each made multiple trips to the dealership under warranty. Most of it minor computer issues and a random radiator replacement. Gelling issues, and a computer problem with my duramax, still a pain when you need to use them however.

I still use diesels in my trucks 15,000 lbs and up. But if I were buying a pick-up to tow a 4 place enclosed sled trailer and that is about all. Go with a gas! If you need more power...think like a snowmobiler....add a vortec supercharger with 6psi for $5,000.00 (Like it cost for a sled...go figure??!!!) viola....450 hp and about the same for tourqe. You still come out about 5 grand cheaper than a diesel, and your pick up will scoot the quarter mile a bit faster than most smokey diesels.

I could go on for hours about my real life experiances with diesels and gas, but it is a personal decision, buy what you like. Been there, done that, Financially, you can not beat a gas pick-up.

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
I'm not sure either. I traded my '01 with around 175K on it and the only leaks that truck ever had were those chitty GM trans cooler lines.

As for oil consumption, big whoop. Big blocks use oil, period. I originally ran Castrol Synthetic 5w30 in it and was going through a quart every 1500 miles. Switched to a semi-synthetic 5w30 and that dropped to nearly half of that.

Maybe I got a good one, or changed my fuel filter often enough, or didn't constantly run my fuel tank low, but my fuel pump was still original.
Fuel filter changed often enough, by that i mean yearly. On a pick up that is used to drive a man too work and back, 3miles a day. Who runs 30+ gal. tanks empty? ha, it ran out once, when the fuel guage wasnt being truthful..

BEELs, might i ask if your truck pops engine lights constantly? Now has evap system codes and the MAF codes again. I dont at all doubt that this particular 8.1 and 3 customers who come through with the same problems are lemons. Not al ltrucks are created equal i guess. They are all within the 02-04 range BTW.

Synthetic was never ran in this truck also. Obviously cooler lines leak and can be fixed, but the front main seal, rear, oil pan gasket, and valve covers leak.

LEMON!!

Anybody have MPG numbers or EGTs, water temps, trans temps, on a blown gasser pulling a 4 place through a pass????

Premium Features