• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need honest opinions- Nytro

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
Okay fellas, here's the scoop. I currently ride an 03 Poo Vertical Escape RMK, 800 with a 159" track. I really like the sled, it works well for where I ride and my (lack of) skill level. What I like most about the sled is the fact that its paid for :D
That said, I have a chance to get into a brand new 09 Nytro MTX for a really low out-of-pocket cost. I have never ridden or ridden with a Nytro, and just looking at the specs of the machine I'm worried that it will be disappointing for me (a little less power and a little less track than my current sled, with more weight). The sled would have to stay stock for a while, no turbo option unless I win the lottery or get an inheritance from a distant rich relative or something along those lines. The up-side is if I'm not happy with it, I should be able to sell it again and not lose money on the deal.
So, realistically, how is a stock Nytro going to compare to my sled now? One of my buddies, who has a friend with a turbo Nytro, says based on what he's seen I should expect performance close to a 700 2 stroke with a 136" track, and if that's the case then it's a definite no-go. Fire away, let me know what you think.

P
Sep 16, 2008
Idaho
Depends what you have done to your sled, but I went last year with a totally stock 153" Nytro and it would eat RMK800s alive in the deep powder. Similar to an M7. The M8 would get the Nytro and the 800 XP would as well, but it was close with all the 700s and the older 800s did not stand a chance.

Turboed......well thats another story.

B

brutis

Nov 26, 2007
Lethbridge , Alberta
If you are an agressive rider you will have fun on a stock nitro.
I you are a mid level rider you will hate the stock 153 nitro,
the weight and lack of floatation will make you work too hard.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
if time is taken to set them up right and maybe put a little bit of cash into it like clutching, and either a better track or skid, you will be happy with it performance wise. Better test ride a nytro before buying as going from a vertical escape to a nytro will be like learning to ride again

H

hotliner23

Nov 28, 2008
Billings,MT
I had an 04 800 rev when i bought my 09 nytro thinking it would be a close comparison, well i should have just kept my rev it would have kicked it *** but the nytro handles a bit like a rev but it just under powered and heavy and if i was in your shoes if your not going to turbo it i wouldn't buy one. I just dumped a bunch of cash in mine to make it be able to blow by the m8s xps,and assaults.

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Mine is currently not turbod and im very happy with it. Even my friend with an M8 is impressed. Straight up shoot climbing he will win but everywhere else im right there with him. Honestly just a different track helps SO much. Id say get the nytro knowing you have to spend money on another track and you will be happy.

ntm_08

Lifetime Membership
May 21, 2009
Hi, you are going to have fun on the stock nytro, drove all last year stock and it was ok. Not under powered at all. But to make it awsome, you have to change the track, shocks, skid, clutch and mabye gearing. But the thing i hate the most on the 08-09 mtx, is the wide boards and angle. when you are boondocking the wide boards will tuch the snow early, and you will loose your grip. So i`m just wondering if you will be better off spending some xtra cash on the 010 mtx. That sled has it all.

ntm

T
Dec 14, 2007
Alamosa, CO
Mine is currently not turbod and im very happy with it. Even my friend with an M8 is impressed. Straight up shoot climbing he will win but everywhere else im right there with him. Honestly just a different track helps SO much. Id say get the nytro knowing you have to spend money on another track and you will be happy.

I agree. Rode mine pretty much stock for a season and was fairly happy. Did a few mods last year (exhaust, track, rear skid) and was even happier. Turbo for this year. CAN'T WAIT!!!

Stock for stock, you aren't going to be able to outclimb the new 800s but you should be ahead of the game against the older ones IMO. I used to have an 03 700 RMK 151 with a few mods and my stock Nytro performed better most of the time. Lots easier to manuever too

I do think you are going to need a better track at a minimum or you probably won't be happy with a Nytro. A better rear skid makes a world of difference too. However, IMO the reliability a Nytro offers compared to two-strokes is a huge factor too. Lots of things to look at. Just my 2 cents

X
Nov 20, 2009
Bend, OR
I have had your sled and have ridden many Nytro's stock and boosted. I think you would regret your decision getting rid of your paid for sled. The Nytro's are a great sled boosted, stock they are fun but will not hold a candle to your current sled in the deep snow. Save your dough until you can afford a nytro+turbo.

On another note I saw a lightly modded Vertical Escape with a 174x16x3 track running with and beating a few good running XP's last year. The Edge chassis 800 sleds are still tough to beat when set-up.

M
Jan 14, 2004
That edge sled was designed in what 2000 basically or even earlier by the time it got to production. You ride the old school and new school sleds differently, any true rider forward sled like a Nytro or Rev or XP is going to feel different to you but once you make the switch you'll never go back. The Nytro is heavy and somewhat underpowered out of the box but it has a huge upside in potential from simple mods to full on animal sled. In a straight pull up a bowl it probably won't mark your Edge but I'd rather ride it in the trees any day than any old sled out there. When I get on an older sled and look out over the mile long hood it makes me kind of laugh, it's like driving an old Caddi or a Chrysler New Yorker. Don't let the weight scare you off but be prepared to spend some time and $$ making it just that much better.

M5

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
I think you will be disappionted in the nytro. Like you said you don't have much cash to put into the nytro and most of the guy's responded with....... you have to put a track into it and clutching and gearing.
The nytro will have to be turboed to be a better performer than your escape...... if your escape is dialed in.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
I had an 04 800 rev when i bought my 09 nytro thinking it would be a close comparison, well i should have just kept my rev it would have kicked it *** but the nytro handles a bit like a rev but it just under powered and heavy and if i was in your shoes if your not going to turbo it i wouldn't buy one. I just dumped a bunch of cash in mine to make it be able to blow by the m8s xps,and assaults.

Did you ever actually get to run it against your old rev?? I had the exact same year rev and I would bet the Nytro would be right there with it, if not pull it. The Nytro's don't feel as fast cause they are very smooth.

IMO a Nytro should eat an old vertical escape up no problem.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Did you ever actually get to run it against your old rev?? I had the exact same year rev and I would bet the Nytro would be right there with it, if not pull it. The Nytro's don't feel as fast cause they are very smooth.

IMO a Nytro should eat an old vertical escape up no problem.

I can tell you head to head, a Nytro completely stock on a lake race, will hang with and in most cases out pull a 04 Rev 800 (and my rev, was FAR from stock)...in the hills The Nytro would keep pulling, and the Rev would stick...

I could easily take my Nytro places I couldnt take my Rev...The torque is the biggest issue...the Rev gets out of its torque curve and it is dead on the hill...the Nytro has peak torque almost at the engagement, so you can regain speed better...

slap a timberlsed under the Nytro, and it is a COMPLETELY different sled...stick a lightweight battery in it, and then change out the exhaust and you have now dropped nearly 60 lbs. and the sled is again, a completely different sled...

I only rode mine one season without boost, and would not hesitate to do it again...they are great sleds...and allow you to keep tweaking things to add more and more fun...I was bored with my Rev after year 2...I am still permagrin at year 2 on my Nytro...

Like you I came off of a 04 800 Vertical Escape 159" the first day out with my Nytro was very expensive (Toasted all 4 A-arms Both Spindles and sub frame) but I loved the sled it would go places my 04 would never take me. if all your buddies have 2 strokes with pips/cans/reeds and so on they will beat you on the hills but you will love: Not packing in fuel, the E-start, No more oil, less belts and parts to pack in, and a sled that can be a chute killer with a little boost.

X
May 11, 2009
Edgewood,wa
My honest opinion is a well set up 600 will take a stock Nytro and any well tuned 800 will eat it alive on the hill. Simple power to weight ratio. Now with that said the nytro is a very fun sled, reliable and when you realize its to slow a simple turbo will make it kill just about anything out there! Im building a t Nytro myself but would take a newer 800 over it stock anyday. Just my opinion though:D

T
Dec 14, 2007
Alamosa, CO
Just my experience but I have a very well set up 2007 600 RMK and it will stay fairly close to my nytro (even stock) but it won't take it... not by a long shot. Again, just my experience.

P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
I feel like a bit of a goober chiming in here, since I do not own a Nytro, or a vertical escape.

But, I'll share with you that I too, went through this similar thought process. My first sled was a M7. Loved it. I am spoiled to learn on such a great chassis. After a couple years, I found that in certain conditions, I ran out of power before I ran out of desire. I'd like to think I had the ability, but there is a strong argument that if I was a better rider, I could have taken that sled more places.

I'm not huge, but I am a larger guy. I go about 210 before any clothes or gear, and being a bit of a 'boy-scout', I tend to pack heavy when I ride.

When my wife and I each had our M7s, my long term plan was to ride them (mostly) stock (no hot-rod mods, just set-up stuff) and then upgrade to a Nytro for me, and we were hoping another 4-stroke would be available (the Phazer didn't really count) for her.

The challenge with our plan, was that mfgrs were finding ways to make the 2-strokes more emission compliant, rather than jumping to 4-stroke. In principle, I prefer the 4-strokes. I place a high value on longevity, and reliability.

This fall, I decided to upgrade sleds. I sold my M7, and bought a D8. I've only got one slushy trail ride so far, so I really don't have any quality input on that sled. I could have put a turbo on my M7, for about the same $$ I spent in upgrading to the D8, but I wanted the reliability of stock power. (back to my value on reliability)

I have a friend who has a boosted Nytro. That thing is a monster. I've gotten to take it for a spin a couple times, and WOW! But, he is a great rider, and he's considering coming back to 2-stroke, (likely a D8) because most of the areas we have close to us, have a lot of trees, and the lighter 2-strokes are easier to flick around.

When I rode his Nytro, I noticed that when you were going, it was nimble, light, and well balanced, but when you slowed down, man, did it start 'feeling' a lot heavier. And, his sled has a LOT of lightweight components on it, and the 162 track.

If you can keep your Polaris, and buy the Nytro, you could get your Nytro figured out, while you ride your Polaris. And, then start accumulating parts for your Nytro to put it on a diet, and add some power. The nice thing about the 4-strokes, is that the sled won't require major maintenance, likely forever. And, depending on snow conditions and where you want to ride, decide what sled to bring.

PE

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
Thanks all for the input, I really appreciate it. Long story short... short of picking up a 2nd job I can't swing the payments on a new anything right now, so sticking with the paid for sled and going to try to set it up as best I can to make the best out of what I've got.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
I own a 08 XP X 154" and a 09 Nytro MTX and would much sooner ride my Nytro in stock form over my Rev-XP. I have been a doo guy for years and have owned a new one every year since 01, I love my Nytro that much.

Premium Features