• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is the Coquihala safe this weekend?

P
Jan 25, 2008
I found some friends to go with finally (first time out!) and we're planning to go to the Coquihala tomorrow. I've heard some avalanche warnings for the area so just wanted to see how concerned I should be, or if there are some spots out there that should be safer than others to ride. If anyone's been up there and can let me know (or how the roads up there are too) that would be much appreciated.

Thanks, can't wait to try this out!

jrcactus

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Winfield BC
Avalanche forecasters also issued a special warning about hazardous conditions in the North Shore mountains, all the way from Howe Sound to the Coquihalla summit.

S
Dec 22, 2007
Coquitlam
I hope too ride there sunday

Avy risk is way high ! so stay off the hills, it is way deep up there a newbe will have there hands full if you go off trail....... your going to have a bad time lol. Becarefull and ride safe

Teamdog

Premium Member
It really depends on where you plan on going.

The Coq has several areas.

We were up on henning on thursday and yes it was very deep. Heavy snow and lots of fun.

10K will be very deep as well and the Avy danger is listed as Considerable. If you don't know where you are going be careful.

I would suggest you try henning first and follow the signs once you are up top. You could go out to the peanut bowl and the non to the cornice.

Later...

F
Dec 4, 2007
Abbotsford
first exit east of the toll booth on the south side. Rest area parking lot. My bro and my buddy were up there today, went up over the saddle, chest deep and all kinds of stuck. Buddy said it took them all morning with about 15 other sleds to break over the saddle, just taking runs at it 1 at a time... I worked last night so I said I was too tired when they called.:mad:

Teamdog

Premium Member
The 10K Trail can be access by going thru the toll booth if you are coming from the coast and then go to the rest area about 2km north of the toill booth. I believe it is called Britton Creek rest area.

Then go thru the wildlife gate east of the parking lot and follow the pipeline south untill you reach the road then turn left and follow the road untill you come to a Y at about 7Km. At the Y keep to the right and follow the KM signs untill you pass the 10K sign. You will see a trail heading up hill to your right. Follow it up to the clearing and follow the trails to the tree line. Here you will enter the bush follow the trail thru the bush untill you reach the open area and hills.

You are at the beginning of 10K.

Ride safe

Later....

Teamdog

Premium Member
I was there and there were about 8 or 10 sleds at the saddle and it took us about 20 minutes to get over the top. A good bunch of guys working together to make a trail. The problem was visibility not just the snow. We could have gone over in a 3 or 4 tries except you could not tell where you were going because of the fog.
There was a lot of snow and it was a great day. Probably the best snow conditions that I have seen at 10K.

Later....

F
Dec 4, 2007
Abbotsford
I was there and there were about 8 or 10 sleds at the saddle and it took us about 20 minutes to get over the top. A good bunch of guys working together to make a trail. The problem was visibility not just the snow. We could have gone over in a 3 or 4 tries except you could not tell where you were going because of the fog.
There was a lot of snow and it was a great day. Probably the best snow conditions that I have seen at 10K.

Later....

I figured he was exaggerating a little. Are you with the "Ice Goats"?

Premium Features