• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SummitXods for small begginer rider

W
Dec 8, 2007
oregon
I am a first year sledder who just bought a REV-XP SummitX 146. I have only spent one day on a snowmobile in my life before I bought this, I have two days of mellow trail rides on this thing.... 50 miles. I have however been riding quads/motocross for 8 or 10 years as well as snowboarding for 15 years, so I have some snow/ extreme sports expierience. The one day I spent on rental sleds was on 03 Arctic Cats in 3-4 ft fresh pow. I struggled greatly carving the Cats, I mean i could not get them on edge period! Keep in mind I am 5ft7in, 135-145 pound depending on gear. I bought this XP because it was the lightest mountain sled avaialable, figured it would be easier to carve/throw around. So far from dipping off of the trail a bit on my two break in rides, I am dissapointed. I am wondering what mods I can do to make this thing easeir to handle/carve in the pow, I am not very concerned with trail handling. I am willing to spend up to 2k making this sled what I want, I just want to be able to throw around the end product a little better; I no I need to learn how to ride.... that of couse will help:cool:. Thanks for the input:D.

Nov 26, 2007
Kent,Wa.
What he said! Also ride with some people who can give you some tips. You will learn more riding with people more skilled than yourself. Deep snow also helps!

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
IMO it's not the sled, it's the lack of seat time. You can't become a good mountain rider in a weekend.

W
Dec 8, 2007
oregon
I think alot of you misunderstood me...., I dont expect to become an expert in a weekend. I was just wondering if there was anything smaller guys were doing to there sleds to make them easeir to handle...., as in easier to learn. I have no problem spending the time to learn how to ride; I would just like to no anything guy's are doing to these sleds to make them a handle a little better than stock. I know from motocross that new machines are rarely "buy and go", so what are guy's with these sleds doing to them? Thanks.

Make sure your skis are set in, and throw that baby over!! dont go spending 2K on it.. just practice..

First find some decent snow 6+ inchs of pow. want to lay it over on the left side? pull your right hand towards you a bit (countersteering) while giving it a little gas and throw your weight to the left. opposite for the right side, but laying it over on your right side will be harder for you becasue of where the throttle is. work on the left first then try the right.. good luck..

H
Nov 26, 2007
Vernon BC
Finding the right snow conditions will make learning the easiest, it will also take you awhile to get used to the way the xp chassis works, and its balance point. If you've ever ridden a street-bike its the same concept on a sled, you have to initiate the turn by counter-steering.

Premium Features