• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shock Question

Randman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2010
Billings, MT
Concerning the front shocks only,
I have a 16 Axys Snow Check with clicker WE shocks and I am getting ready to sell my 15 Snow Check PRO with WE clickers...The 15 clicker shocks have a much larger shock shaft than the 16"s. Both sleds have similar low miles. Is one shock type better than the other?

Thanks

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
I thought the 15 and 16 snow check Pro RMK's had the same shocks? And the Assaults etc got the needle/heavier setups?

Have a 15 and 16 snow check tandem, never looked at them, might need to steal the kid's front shocks off the 15 haha :face-icon-small-ton

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The 2015 PRO RMK LE (600&800) came with the 5/8" shaft needle shocks. PN 7044137
This was the only year and model with these shocks on it.

The 2015 assault needle shocks were much longer than the ProRMK shocks.

The 2015 PRO RMK shocks are a better shock, if the valving and oil are optimal... Also, the needle shocks, by design, resist bottoming better without being harsh... a really good combo with the clicker... compliant with adjustability... and bottoming resistance without having to stiffen the compression too much.

A 5/8" shaft will have more control with the clicker/piggyback than a 1/2" shaft shock with a clicker/piggyback..

The 5/8" moves more fluid...more fluid movement past the clicker valve = more control over the fluid.

rernst220

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2009
Chaska, MN
I have a RTS off a Pro-ride Assault, I want to put in on my 16 Axys Pro RMK, It looks to me like the only difference (other than valving) is a longer eyelet on the shaft side? Is this true? and where I could get the correct eyelet?

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
I have a RTS off a Pro-ride Assault, I want to put in on my 16 Axys Pro RMK, It looks to me like the only difference (other than valving) is a longer eyelet on the shaft side? Is this true? and where I could get the correct eyelet?

That is my understanding too. Zbroz are converting one of their RTS from a 2013 PRO to a 2016 AXY said all they had to do was change the eyelet. So shouldn't be hard with the right tools. They sell the tools to do it just not sure if it uses the same tool for the Walker Evens.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The aftermarket shocks may have some more flexibility in setup with just an eye change.

As for the ProRide RTS on the AXYS... The AXYS has a longer stroke than the PRO by .25"... the numbers don't "crunch" with just an eye change.

Yes you can do it... and the ride height will be the same with the shock extended... but compressed... the shock will bottom out before reaching full travel.... at least on paper.

The AXYS Assault-RMK rod eyes (1800747 ) look longer than the 2015 ProRide Assault-RMK..but by how much? They also use a jounce bumper where the 2015 does not.
The cost is only about $10 for this eye though.

The AXYS-MTN RTS, compressed, is only .05" longer than the Pro Ride compressed, so adding the .25" to the compressed length of the ProRide shock may cause some issues...

ZBroz has WE shaft eyes available that are +.5"... but thats on the IFS shocks.

But hey...try it and get back to us.

attachment.php

combo.jpg

Last edited:
A
Great info MH.
Just for fun, I puller my Proride assault front shocks for for a comparison and to see if it's worth the efforts to convert them to my Axys.
Well after enough time looking it over I will not be going this route.
The assault is for sale and I figured I'd swap em before I gave them needle shocks away.
The assault measured 18.5" eye to eye.
The Axys measured 16.5" eye to eye. I do believe I could slug my assault shocks and they'd fit just fine on the Axys, but it'd lower the assault front end to much to feel right about selling it that way.
Ohh well.

image.jpg

Premium Features