• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016-2018 AXYS Shocks vs. 2019+ React Shocks

T

tb123

Oct 27, 2023
MT
I have a 2018 AXYS 800 with OEM piggyback Walker Evans and a 2019 850 with OEM Walker Evans monotubes. From my understanding, the 2019+ React geometry uses a longer shock. Is this true?

Ideally, I'd like to swap the 2018 shocks onto my 2019 as the 2018 chassis has lower miles. Are the front and rears both different length on the 2018 vs. 2019? Is it recommended to shorten the 2018 shocks if I want to use them on the 2019? Does anyone have any links to a writeup describing this procedure or link to similar discussion? Thanks!

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
19+ REACT front shocks are shorter than 16-18 non-REACT front shocks. Rear shocks are interchangeable 16-20 (and I believe newer) as long as not Khaos geometry. Then if you throw in aftermarket a-arms, there can be differences, you have to know what the arms were designed for regardless of whether they are narrower or stock width arms...

T

tb123

Oct 27, 2023
MT
19+ REACT front shocks are shorter than 16-18 non-REACT front shocks. Rear shocks are interchangeable 16-20 (and I believe newer) as long as not Khaos geometry. Then if you throw in aftermarket a-arms, there can be differences, you have to know what the arms were designed for regardless of whether they are narrower or stock width arms...

Thanks for the info. I have the Alternative Impact 36" kit that I believe mimics the React geometry. Alternative Impact says that this works for either set of shocks. If I use the 2018 shocks on the 2019, will the front ride height be higher? Will this negatively impact the steering? Are the piggyback shocks considered to be "better", or are there advantages to the monotubes (like weight)?

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Thanks for the info. I have the Alternative Impact 36" kit that I believe mimics the React geometry. Alternative Impact says that this works for either set of shocks. If I use the 2018 shocks on the 2019, will the front ride height be higher? Will this negatively impact the steering? Are the piggyback shocks considered to be "better", or are there advantages to the monotubes (like weight)?
If you have the narrowed arms (Alt Impact or otherwise) that were made for the 2016-18 "stock" setup, then they were engineered for the longer shocks, putting 2019+ REACT shocks on them will lower the front end with all the handling side effects (for good or bad depending on what you want, lighter steering but maybe skittish / no bite on corners on trails?). Likewise, REACT a-arms (or replacement specifically made for the REACT geometry sleds) are engineered for the shorter shocks, and putting the longer (2016-18) non-REACT shocks on them will raise the front end (I have heard some people say it works find but others say it will bind at full extension at the full left or right steering position). That also would put more pressure on the skis without a corresponding change in the skid position...
Piggybacks are better, I prefer them myself, but monotubes are lighter, and my buddy used them for years with no ride complaints.

T

tb123

Oct 27, 2023
MT
If you have the narrowed arms (Alt Impact or otherwise) that were made for the 2016-18 "stock" setup, then they were engineered for the longer shocks
After discussion with Alternative Impact, I have learned that they only have one 36" RMK kit for 2016-2024 Axys/Matryx. The kit is the same, regardless of sled year (pre/post React). The kit mimics the React geometry. Since I had this kit installed on my 2018 with the pre-React piggybacks, I assume that my new 2019 will handle the same as my old sled if I swap the 2018 shocks onto my 2019.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
After discussion with Alternative Impact, I have learned that they only have one 36" RMK kit for 2016-2024 Axys/Matryx. The kit is the same, regardless of sled year (pre/post React). The kit mimics the React geometry. Since I had this kit installed on my 2018 with the pre-React piggybacks, I assume that my new 2019 will handle the same as my old sled if I swap the 2018 shocks onto my 2019.
Can't hurt to try it, but shorter shocks vs. longer shocks are going to have different affect on front end ski pressure regardless of what a-arms are on there. I personally was not about to use my longer OEM shocks from my 2017 with a REACT geometry set of a-arms. Don't want that kind of added ski pressure since I wanted the REACT handling characteristics... the longer shocks will give more ski pressure than the shorter shocks with the same a-arms...

Premium Features