• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belts/clutch/oil/heat??????

S
Dec 1, 2007
first time posting and not really sure where to begin with this topic but ive been reading all the posts about belts, clutch heat and oil on the belts and clutches so i thought i would shared my expirence. i have a new 800 xp 146 with zero miles on after reading all the posts about issues mentioned above i started mine up last night on the stand in the shed ran it about 5-10 minutes turned it off and found oil on both the primary and secondary clutch. while wiping off the oil the secondary clutch was very cool to the hand, the outside side of the primary was a little warm to the hand, but the inside(engine side) part of the primary was very hot(to hot to leave hand on), i hate to see how hot it gets when i go up and down a few hills or through some deep snow. Maybe this is normal i dont know ive never looked at my belt and clutches so much before and im just trying to avoid some of the pitfalls others have expirenced. ive had a '97,00,03,05 and now an 08 summit and never blown a belt so if i do on this one makes you wonder if something is going on.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Great first post glad to have you aboard! I don't have the XP but if I did I would be taking my clutchs apart and cleaning them!!!! HV

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Yes, there is something going on. Doo did something "not too smart" somewhere in the process of building these '08's that resulted in some sort of lubricant or corrosion inhibitor getting on the clutches.
Clean them thoroughly and don't use the same belt, use a new and clean belt.

L

LRD

Mar 27, 2002
Some of the oil if not all of it on the clutches is coming from the oil lite bronze bushings in the secondary. I put hundredes of these into yami pahzers, exciters, and v-max 4 secondarys many years ago. When these bushings are new they go anywhere rom full to super filled with oil. When you spin the secondary up in rpm the oil gets slung out onto the sheeves and belt and inside of the clutch cover. It will do this for the first few rides. You have to keep cleaning them until they settle down and quit doing it. I use lots of paper towels and lots of acetone until the paper towels start showing clean after wiping everything down.

Good Luck

G
Nov 27, 2007
Mount Vernon WA
What is interesting to me from that great first post is the heat on the motor side sheave. I know Doo runs water through the block in a different way now than the older 800 and am wondering if it is enough to cool that sheave which is transfering heat from the block somehow. Worry worry worry. :) Goose.

Premium Features