• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

When Buying A Used Rev Summit.... What Problems Should I Be Looking For

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Posting this for a friend....

"I'm looking at buying a 2005 REV Summit.... what kind of problems should I be looking for.

I know the nun can have issues, but how to check? Other things that bend?

What about bushings....loosening of parts, things that just wear out etc.....

I want to give this thing a good once over?"

Last edited:

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Make sure that the bolts are tight that connect the Y pipe to the engine. All except 2 or 3 came out on my 06'. I replaced them and put loctight on them

That is a common problem with these sleds, but I wouldn't consider that a deal breaker on buying or not buying the sled.

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
I think the most important thing to look for is a Bent NUN!! The rest is all Fixable.

H20SKE...

It's all fixable...

As for the recoil, a friend went through 3 while I am still on my first.

It is in the way you engage the rope before you pull.

Pistons might be fine, you might need rings though.. It is best to disassemble and check, or look throught the rave valve.

D
Dec 5, 2007
Rocky Mtn House
definately check the drive chain and gears. The chains are a weak spot, the best thing is to remove the cover, and inspect for missing or broken/cracked links. I just bought a used 06 800 x and the previous owner had replaced the chain once, when I pulled the dipstick there was a small piece of link on it. I pulled the cover and the upper gear had some wear, so I replaced both gears and the chain..apparently there is an updated chain?? This at 900 miles..Also a good idea to blow the belt dust out of the primary clutch..

K

khaddon2110

Aug 17, 2006
Idaho
A couple of other problems you might encounter will be having to return to the truck before you are out of gas because everyone not on a rev is. And always breaking trail can get a little old. You will almost always be ridiculed if you don't get the highest mark from now on and don't get me started about what will happen if you get stuck, Once.

revrider

Lifetime Membership
Oct 26, 2003
Randle
You might want to check crank runout, my 06 had 3-4 thousands so I had it trued and my sons 04 had 22 thousands so I got a rebuild.

skippyh2o

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2005
Bonney Lake
www.hidsource.com

"I'm looking at buying a 2005 REV Summit.... what kind of problems should I be looking for.

The "nun", pull the airbox and look for NOSS holes, look at the intake boots and see if anyone siliconed them for any nitrous applications, check compression and check the tie rods (if they are not adjusted close to the same, something is bent and they had to adjsut the steering to compensate).
Otherwise ride it like a rental! I do. :eek:

M

MOONMAN

Sep 26, 2001
North Bend, WA.
WWW.EASTSIDEHARLEY.COM

Make sure the shocks both are in the center of the a-arms, look at the metal behind the muffler. if any of this is bent RUN AWAY!

Premium Features