• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 E-Tec Turbo - Rave Valve Position Code

S
Jul 29, 2016
2021 Summit 850 Turbo expert 154
900 miles, sea level

First time the problem arose, it was the first time I did a significant amount of trail riding with the Summit. at 6000 RPMs it would feel like someone hit pause on my power band then the sled would unload the power. I could repeat it over and over for the next 5 miles headed back to the cabin.

Bring it home, store in garage and take it to a shop. Shop cannot replicate the issue and ECU had a number of stored codes, cleared codes and gave it back to me.

took it on a 3-day trip in Thompson pass, 3500ft-5000ft and was running great for first part of the first day, then began but it was Intermittent. Pulled the code since there was a dealer set up in the parking lot, RAVE valve position error but could not replicate the issue on the spot. second day halfway through problem got worse, mid-range power would come and go, sometimes couldn't get above mid-range especially under a pull or when we were riding two up (snowboard access). by myself and across the glacier it would skip a second than pull as normal.

Before I tear into these RAVE valves, what should I buy? currently planning to buy springs, gaskets and spark plugs.

Should I be looking at anything else?

U
Mar 22, 2022
sterling, ak
I had the same issue on my 2022 turbo 850 up here in Alaska and have heard of several others. There is talk of calibrating them and I know there is a way it can be done but it seems to me more like an ecm issue or a bad rave valve motor. Mine is at the dealer for warranty right now. The dealer said my aftermarket can exposed the ecm to too much heat and fried it. I had bought a used second rave valve servo and it worked for a few days before new issues popped up. For me the next thing to die was an injector and it started running on one cyclinder. According to dealer the ecm and injectors are being replaced and this should fix my issue. I will be using my stock can moving forward just in case. I also have te ability now to calibrate rave valve servos with my maptune tool and a spare rave valve servo. I think the problem could be stator related though or something else causing our ecms to have issues that start with rave valve servo postion codes. Let me know what you learn and I will share with you what I find.
Thanks
My sled should be done and ready for me to pick up mid month here. I am just hoping everything wrong is caught on the first trip to the shop.

S
Jul 29, 2016
That doesn’t sound good. I just put an aftermarket can on my sled and if it comes to taking it into the dealer, I will put the factory one on. My sled is without warranty, can you share more on the map tune tool?

U
Mar 22, 2022
sterling, ak
Maptuner X If you google it they are a tuner box that plugs in for uploading performance tunes or you can use it to do some diagnostic work and activate things like injectors or servos for testing or work. Pretty cool tool and there turbo tunes are the best in the industry!

Premium Features