• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XM track clicking noise

D
Nov 6, 2011
I picked up my new sled friday (2013 summit sp 163) and rode it for the first time saturday and put on 27 miles. about halfway through the day i started noticing a clicking noise in the track while going down hills. Has anybody else noticed this noise or is there something i can adjust to make it stop??

SledGuru

Lifetime Membership
May 9, 2008
WY 307
I have the same issue also was going to adjust track a little and see but interested to see what u guys come up with

P
Nov 17, 2008
What is the correct tightness of the tracks for the XMs? Would it be the same as an 2008 XP Summit. I have the shop manual for my old sled the 2008's but do not have the shop manual yet for my new 2013. Does the flex edge track need a different tension?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
With the teater-totter rear suspension you guys will need to keep the track tensioned properly. If you don't, the clips will miss the rail tips and try to derail. What you are hearing is the guide clips hitting the bottom of the hyfax instead of sliding down the sides. That is why it goes away when you tension it properly, it takes the rotationally induced belly in the track out coming off the drivers.

Yella Belly

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Yakima, WA
With the teater-totter rear suspension you guys will need to keep the track tensioned properly. If you don't, the clips will miss the rail tips and try to derail. What you are hearing is the guide clips hitting the bottom of the hyfax instead of sliding down the sides. That is why it goes away when you tension it properly, it takes the rotationally induced belly in the track out coming off the drivers.

This is plausible however when on a flat, straight, downhill the twist should be minimal, and as the design allows the rear to pivot, the front is still held in place by the two piece h arm, which would transfer the rear "twist" to the more up and down motion at the tip of the rails. The noise does not seem to change from a freewheel down hill to one applying the brake, or under clutch engagement and compression. I noticed this on the first hill I went down after only 10 miles, I don't think the track would have stretched much after that short a distance. It does sound like a "normal" ice build up, but after inspecting the tunnel, and not finding any, it's something else. Under power, the top of the track is pulled tight as we are sort of pushing the track under the sled. During braking, or downhill, the bottom of the track is tight, as we are dragging it against the drivers, and the top is allowed to float if you will. Is it possible that the taller lug is hitting the tunnel as it's being loose on the top, and sort of being flipped into it? Which would indicate a tighter adjustment should correct it. I know most of us like to run things on the way loose side, and perhaps with the taller lug, this will not be possible. Did the in-season versions have the shorter lug? If so are they seeing the same noise?? Wow, that's more thinking than I normally doo on a Monday night. I figured on running it up in the shop to look for the noise, however not having the ability to maintain the same suspension loading on the rack may not produce the noise. ???? Hum....

Yella..:face-icon-small-dis

Aug 26, 2012
Does anyone get a feeling of something hitting their feet on the right side? Feels like something is getting knocked around down there. i checked all the bolts but everything is good. haven't adjusted my track or limiter strap yet.

M
Nov 27, 2007
Does anyone get a feeling of something hitting their feet on the right side? Feels like something is getting knocked around down there. i checked all the bolts but everything is good. haven't adjusted my track or limiter strap yet.

with a 16 wide track the track runs very close to the tunnel . any ice build up will cause strange noises. causing your heart to skip a few beats as well .:face-icon-small-coo

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
The 2.5" Powder Max II track on the 12s was very noisy too. I call my Doos T34 Russian tanks from all the track clatter. It is normal and you can ignore it. I finally got a chance to ride my 13 XM and the track is just as noisy. I think you hear it going downhill more because the engine is not making enough noise to cover it up and the track is not slipping in the snow. Seems to be louder in heavy wet snow too.

montanasledder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2001
Butte Montana
Ive had to tighten my track twice already. Lots of stretch. and still needs more. i thought the noise was from the track being to loose

sledhead455

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
My 12 did the same thing. Sounds like a d8 going down hill. I think its just the way the track is designed. My xm makes the same noise, track tension doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm saying its normal I wouldn't worry about it.

B
Jan 2, 2008
seattle

Yes, I felt that too many times yesterday. Not sure what it is, but it kept making me think something was jumping up from the ground and hitting the bottom of my foot.

My track also feels loose, sure its stretching out and needs to be tightened.

Premium Features