• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help sell me onto a Nytro

C

Chern_889

Nov 30, 2007
SK, Canada
Hey guys, im seriously considering getting onto a nytro for next year, It would most likely be a MTX 153. I currently ride a 2007 RMK 600 155 with a 660BB and your usual 2 stroke mods.

My main draw towards the fourstroke is the power possibilities, i really want to give the turbo thing a try, and the majority of my riding is done around 1500ft, the last thing i want to do is have to deal with racegas(2stroke turbo). We do a fair amount of long distance riding from gas pump to gas pump.

I spent an afternoon on a bone stock 2010 XTX to get an idea of how they ride. I was fairly impressed with the power, but i was having a tough time getting used to the engine braking, and mostly the noticable nose darting on off throttle. My plan is to try and find a deal on a left over 09 or 10 MTX, and run an MCX 180 or possibly 240 kit, as well as the timbersled Mt.tamer skid and barkbuster front.

I love the way my IQ chassis handles in all conditions, from trail riding to boondocking and hill climbing, im just worried that i wont be as happy with the way the nytro will handle, but i know i will love the power.

Basically i just want your opinion, and i need that extra confidence to make the jump to a yamaha, as ive only ever ridden Polaris. Also which year you suggest is best to pick up, either 09 or 10.

Thanks for your time, Jay

S

Swelly

I went 4 stroke in 05 and have not looked back. I love my 09 MTX that is stock in power form.

Me personally, I want a blower. But there are lots out there with turbos running on pump fuel. I know Impulse does a kit that does us the Premium which is a whole lot easier.

If you buy a 09 Look at doing a rear suspension upgrade. Like Timbersled or something along that line. If you add boost, it is a must do. Also adding boost you will need to change a track. Even if you get a 09 and ride it stock, the track sucks. I went to a Challenger Extreme and it is like a new sled. Another is removing the sway bar and adding some floats up front. This makes carving much easier.

Also the OFT Steering relocator kit on any Nytro makes a world of difference in the riding experience. Lots of post here on modded Nytro's. Also look at TY4 Stroke for some more info. Everyone on both sites are very helpful with sharing information and tuning them.

Here is a link.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/index.php?sid=dec9763b2542038fc6c9177cdc93cfbe

Good luck, I really think if you go 4 Stroke you will love it. They are the future whether the other manufactures want to admit it or not.

1badcowboy

Oct 26, 2008
Elko NV
i ride a turbo dragon. i also have rode T nytro t apex those 4strokes kick *** i was impressed with the power im sure you wont regreat going with a nytro or apex

J

j_w10

Mar 8, 2009
nytro

i would say if your planning on modding it that much then i would find an 08 or 09 as they are much cheaper. power plant is the same in all of them its suspention that is changed. also dont go timber on the front end as i have read they are not very strong (just what i have read no personal experience), the rear skid seem to be doing alright now wht all the updates they have. the sled itself will not handle as well as a two stroke does however once you get used to using the throttle to steer the machine and not let off the throttle all at once when coming off so it doesnt nose dive youll like it especially with it under boost just my opinion.

dexter

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
i would say if your planning on modding it that much then i would find an 08 or 09 as they are much cheaper. power plant is the same in all of them its suspention that is changed. also dont go timber on the front end as i have read they are not very strong (just what i have read no personal experience), the rear skid seem to be doing alright now wht all the updates they have. the sled itself will not handle as well as a two stroke does however once you get used to using the throttle to steer the machine and not let off the throttle all at once when coming off so it doesnt nose dive youll like it especially with it under boost just my opinion.

nytro is a great handling machine, though it will take more rider input than your current sled. if lightweight is what you want, the nytro is not it. I have taken 80+ lbs of mine and i love it, but it still doesn't feel near as light as a m8 due to the rider forward position and heavy front end. if you ride it aggresive it will feel light and nimble (great in the woods). as for the timbersled front end its great and its strong, the bushings and balljoints are lasting much longer than my stock ones did. but if your running into stuff somethings gonna give

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I own a Tnytro with a bark buster front and mtn tamer in the rear. If you are going timbersled, just save the money and get an 08. I'm down about 60 pounds from stock and just finished my install of a boondocker turbo. Your average guy can run 10 pounds of boost all day long, and in most cases its going to be overkill. When I crank mine up to 15lbs of boost it just gets out of hand. Actually my arms and hands are killing me from just hanging on to it!

Go 4 stroke and you'll never look back. Fuel and ride.

DooTraxx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Calgary, AB
I thought guys said riding a 2010 MTX SE compared to an 08 or 09 was like riding an Apex compared to an RX1. Huge improvement in handling. I am also considering switching from Doo all my life to a turbo Nytro and because of the handling was leaning towards a 2010. Is this not the case?

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
If you leave it stock then it will handle a lot better, but if you plan on swapping the skid and A-arms then you might as well get an 08 or 09 since that is most of what changed.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
I've got an 09 MTX with an MCX 240 kit and absolutely love it. I also have an 08 XP X154 as a back up. Hands down I prefer the Nytro. Handles way better. Put the turbo on it and it is insane. I don't know if I would ever buy a stroke again. I love the power and even more, the reliability. Just a good sled.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Centennial CO
Have loved my stock powered 2008 since I first jumped on it.... 1,700 miles of powder and tree bashing, gotta love the torquey 4 stroke power... :face-icon-small-hap Engine braking is tough to get used to but there are times you can use it to your advantage... Good Luck..

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
selling

Had a baby last fall and the turbo has to go.

I would love to get a new one, we'll see.

This thing is almost too much for me, I rarely have a chance to wind it up.

Even if there is a new RMK, even with a turbo, it wouldn't touch this thing for pull and power........

If you want a sled with pure horsepower,,,, turbo a 4 stroke!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what do you think of the price?

T

torqmonster

Dec 2, 2007
Fairview, Alberta
Buy the 2010, much better sled IMHO compared to the 09's and 08's. Buy simmons gen 2 skis for stability and flotation and put a 180 kit on and your set to go. I have over 2k on mine and still on my first belt. Make sure you buy the wide ski's. The sled needs the extra flotation in the front. Very cheap to operate. Last year I would spend approx. $65 - $75 for gas and oil and $120.00 every 250 miles for belts on my cat. Now I spend about $25 -$35a day on gas, no belts so far, and one oil change per season. The reliability of the motor is unreal. Buy one and have fun watching your buddies rebuild their motors, replace belts, etc.

Last edited:
O
Dec 13, 2009
Stillwater, MN.
Oliver

I just went through a sad divorce with Yamaha after 42 years of riding em.
I have a 2008 FX Niro RTX all dialed in for the trail and I realy liked it but on my second season It dropped a exhaust valve Yamaha isn't being very helpful, you buy one and you might find your self like me with a pile of parts and a payment book for the next 3 years nothing to ride.

Premium Features