• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How are the 2010 D8 Turbos working?

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
I have a friend that just bought a 2010 D8 and is looking for a Turbo. We have ridden the Boondocker Turbo and know it works well but just want to see what else is out there before he buys one. I'm a Cat guy so I don't really know whats out there for the Dragon. How's the Sibler 2010 kit running? Twisted? I saw that Twisted and Sibler had a kits out now but I haven't heard about anyone riding them on the new Dragons. Any out there? How do you like them? Any others worth looking at? Thanks!:beer;

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
Have you looked at the TNTK

I think that is what it is called. My buddy took his new 09 800 RMK boondocker turbo to cooke this weekend....not so good. I think he is hoping it was bad gas. Has your buddy rode his 2010 yet? I have an 09 with the update and it has been terrible. I am being told it takes a few hundred miles to break it in, but it has been really frustrating. Sorry for the misinfo at the title. It is a MTNTK Big Boost turbo.

Last edited:

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
Rode with at buddy with a 09D8 with a boondocker pump gas turbo over the weekend. Between the Boondocker programming and the Polaris reflash, it will intermitently flood itself out when starting, but other than that, it runs great. Very impressive sled. No lag at all, great boondocker and unbeliveable on the hills.

J

jfield

Dec 2, 2007
Bozeman, Mt
Rode with at buddy with a 09D8 with a boondocker pump gas turbo over the weekend. Between the Boondocker programming and the Polaris reflash, it will intermitently flood itself out when starting, but other than that, it runs great. Very impressive sled. No lag at all, great boondocker and unbeliveable on the hills.

I had the opposite happen to mine, 09 rmk 800 pump gas, started right up no flooding, rode for an hour or so and then it started detonating on me. even when i was boondocking it would detonate, spent the rest of the day in the parking lot in Cooke. long way to drive for an hours ride.

Talked to Justin @ code red when i got back in to town said it was an octane problem, said he would come by Sunday and go over it with me, 2 messages and 4 phone calls and he still hasn't gotten back to me, i am a little frustrated to say the least.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Justin at Code Red has the best customer service of ANY vendor I have ever dealt with.

I'm sure he'll be getting back to you soon. Have faith... he is one of the very few GOOD GUYS.

Jkinzer on the forums here had all kinds of DET problems as well... I suggested he run the 2009 flash... cleared up the problems for him.

I have a feeling that with all the last min changes to the mapping that POLARIS made with the updates... there will be plenty of fine tuning for the 2010 turbo people and those with the update running the 2010 map... It will be hit and miss... some with no probs... some with lots...

If I were running a T D-8... I'd run the 2009 flash ... I dont know of ANY turbo owners from last year that had problems running with/because the 2009 flash.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
like Eric stated the 09 flash was the answer to my problems. first ride out with the new update and flash i couldnt get over 1/3 throttle with out the DET light flashing and then kicking into limp mode. i was at 7k ft running 4lbs of boost and it still kept "detonating", as soon as i flashed back to the 09 map, which we all know works very well i have never had a problem since. have put on a little over 200 miles since the first ride and it is has been spot on perfect every mile.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
So Kinz what your saying is : I have a new out of crate 09 D8 w/ the new pistons and head, the BD pump gas turbo installed but waiting for the EBC to show, I should not do the new map just go as it is? I haven't started the motor yet but will this weekend.

T
Jan 19, 2008
Hinton
Ok I had all the 2010 updates done on my BD pump kit and had it blow up first ride out. Now can the dealer reinstall the 2009 program or do I have to send it somewhere else?

S
Nov 28, 2007
Utah
Have you considered the SPS Racing kit? I have one on my 2009 Assault with the 2010 reflash and my cousin has one on his 2010 D8 155. I have put about 200 miles on mine with no complaints. Its a great quality kit and the customer service has been awesome!

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
so what this sounds like to me correct me if iam wrong, since they put the lower comp head on there trying to gain power by puting in a ton of timeing????? thats just what it sounds like to me lots of time and boost on automotive stuff or diesels leads to blown headgaskets and broken parts

T
Mar 3, 2008
burnsville mn
Hey Kinzer or MH, you guys are talking about the stock 09 fuel map right, not the reflash they came out with mid year, correct? Also any dealer should be able or be willing to flash back to the old map?

Thanks

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
i am using the superceded 09 flash, which is the one they came out with mid year last year. any dealer can flash you back to this map, most charge a half hour labor to do so. as far as trying the sps turbo instead, it is not a turbo issue it is a ecu mapping issue and sensitivity of the DET sensor. RMK727, i would run the mapping that is in your sled, the new pistons and head are nice but the new mapping doesnt work that well. THERE ARE some 2010 sleds that are just fine and a few 09's that got flashed to 2010 and are just fine as well, however, there are a ton of issues with most of the 09's that got flashed to the 2010 mapping. as MH explained it to me run the new lower compression head you will be able to pull more boost on adequate fuel with the 09 mapping. its no different than putting a low compression head on last year.

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
so are they adding a bunch of timeing to compensate for the hp loss from the lower compression

B

bighole1818

Dec 18, 2009
Big Hole valley, MT
Hm turbos has a map on there fuel box that works great with the 09 reflash and the 2010's. Most people are saying its a more liner power with no flat spots. Just call shane at hm turbos.

N

nocandoo

Dec 11, 2007
08 800 too?

are you guys see:confused:ing this same issue with the o8 800 dragon bd pg turbo set up too?? same correction needed, swith to 09 mid year mapping, or not?????

I

Impatientforsnow

Nov 29, 2007
Gods Country

Rode my 2010 dragon 800 Boondocker turbo for the first time today (45miles)set up by Justin at Code Red Performance.. wow it really rips only had a couple minor issues the DET kick in once and the track was ratcheting , and the intake screen on the turbo popped off all minor issues ,,and theres a new 2010 mapping comming out this week sometime..but as for customer sevice from Justin was great called him from the hill and answered all my questions ..glad to have him to lean on .. since im real new to this Turbo stuff..:rolleyes: also whats up Polaris? NO TOOL KIT???WTF??Couldnt tighten the track since I didnt have a 9/16 with..:mad:

T
Jan 19, 2008
Hinton
Hey jkinzer do you know if there is a reference or reflash number for that mid year 2009 reflash? So I can be sure my dealer loads the right map.

Premium Features