• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XP Suspension Setup - 09 154" Everest

M
Dec 11, 2008
I need to ask this question because I have been reading alot about setting up the suspension on my sled and there seems to be many opinions out there on how this is to be done. I am not about to spend a bunch money on my suspension, but am willing to purchase the stronger rear springs.

With the stronger rear springs, how tight should the limiter strap be and how should I set the center and front springs?

I do mostly hill climbing and boondocking so I need to know what is the best suspension setup for this type of riding.

Any help would be appreciated.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Boondocking/climbing setup:
Limiter all the way out (loose). Rear spring to your liking.....#3-5 depending on rider weight.
Lose the sway bar, ski shocks loose.

K

khaddon2110

Aug 17, 2006
Idaho
Boondocking/climbing setup:
Limiter all the way out (loose). Rear spring to your liking.....#3-5 depending on rider weight.
Lose the sway bar, ski shocks loose.

won't it become a wheely machine?:confused: or am I missing out by not trying it?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
won't it become a wheely machine?:confused: or am I missing out by not trying it?

No...we have found it to have LESS ski lift with the limiter out. This is not the case with most chassis, but with the XP, if you suck up the limiters it places more load on the rear springs and the skis. When you hit a hill and weight transfers to the rear, the springs tend to collapse and it's "skis to the sky". Letting the limiter out takes some load off the almost too weak rear springs. Going with HD spring smay help, but you have to go so stiff, then you lose ride quality.
We have ridden with many XP's with a variety of setups and are often asked "what did you do to your susp??" How come it doesn't wheelie? susp setup and keeping track speed up are critical to keeping it from trenching/wheelieing. :beer;

M
Dec 11, 2008
WinterBrew,

Thanks for the help with this, much appreciated. Do you think for my weight (~175lbs) that the HD springs would be required?

M
Dec 11, 2008
Also,

When you say to let the limiter all the way out do you mean to the very last hole that can be used? (so when on flat ground the limiter as alot of free play).

How do you set your center spring?

K

khaddon2110

Aug 17, 2006
Idaho
No...we have found it to have LESS ski lift with the limiter out. This is not the case with most chassis, but with the XP, if you suck up the limiters it places more load on the rear springs and the skis. When you hit a hill and weight transfers to the rear, the springs tend to collapse and it's "skis to the sky". Letting the limiter out takes some load off the almost too weak rear springs. Going with HD spring smay help, but you have to go so stiff, then you lose ride quality.
We have ridden with many XP's with a variety of setups and are often asked "what did you do to your susp??" How come it doesn't wheelie? susp setup and keeping track speed up are critical to keeping it from trenching/wheelieing. :beer;

that makes sense......some chasis just setup differently.

Mine was setup for my weight (170lbs without gear) and if I ride side by side with my XRS vs my XP, the XP stays pretty much skis down whereas the XRS are up in the air. I'm thinking with a few of the dealers actually setting up sleds the way they should be, this is a fix for some, and others may not be seeing the problem. either way, it is an easy change for people to play with on the hill to see benifits....thanks:beer;

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
WinterBrew,

Thanks for the help with this, much appreciated. Do you think for my weight (~175lbs) that the HD springs would be required?

IMo no....I am 220 ready to ride and find the stock springs to be fine. It seems most guys get the HD springs to try to get rid of the "sag" when it is just sitting there....the sag is completely normal and part of how the susp is designed to work.
And yes, last hole on the limiter. It will let the shock go full-extension. I elevate the sled, back the front coil spring adjuster off until spring is loose, then apply 1/4-1/2" preload.

M
Dec 11, 2008
Thanks WinterBrew.

Now that I think about it I rode my sled all last year with the spring set to 3 and really did not notice that it sagged that much. I think I will try 4 and go from there.

Thanks again.

S

Sako7STW

Nov 6, 2003
Evanston, WY
What about for a guy that is 270? I have thought about getting the heavier springs. I want to get rid of some of the ski pressure as, right now that thing witll wear you out on the trails. I was bottoming out the suspension when I hit something hard.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
yes....heavier guys need heavier springs....but you say the steering is heavy. Heavier rear springs will put more weight on the skis. You may need to go to a heavier middle spring or tighten up the stock spring some more to get weight off the skis.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
I agree 100%...I just like the heavier springs ASAP...the advantage of the heavier springs is you can set the "PRE-load" soft (#1 or #2) and as the you compress the skid the stiffer spring keeps the skis down/skid in the snow...

The softer stock springs cranked up (#4 or 5) only max's out the "PRE-load"...once the spring has past the "PRE-load" its a soft spring all the way down to rails...BJ

FYI- ALL 163 need the next stiffest spring..even if your a 105 lb girl IMHO...

Premium Features