• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

new 2009 d8 163

IDPOLARIS

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2008
Blackfoot Idaho
I just bought a new d8 163 it was a hold over and i got a dam good deal. He told me that i will have to bring it back for a recall. But looking at some of the post on the web site i hope it run dam good. I run it across the grass and it don't seem to pull as hard as my old sled . At least it has to out run my old sled if you read my signature you will now what i'am talking about. Now what about up grade's exhaust, clutching, vent kit's,. I do ride in idaho around 4500 up 9000 ft. If anybody has commet's or sudgestion let's have them .:D

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
on the roads your 700 will out run the 800's but when you get it vertical you will know the difference for sure. I just put a cpi can on mine because I got it cheap. but I think the biggest upgrade I am making this summer is the challanger extreme. But I think in Idaho you will like the stock track in the powder.

A
Dec 11, 2007
I went from exactly same sled 01 700/151 CPI twins, etc, etc.

While the D8 doesn't have the same snap as the 7 w/twins, it does have tons more torque. I think the track is prob part of what you're experiencing, it's taller and folds a tad more than a 2" on hard pack.

The sled will be night and day better. The 7 w/twins will make you be on your toes at all times anytime you're in the power (pulls like a train). The D8 lets you be a little lazy and stay steady on the throttle. Also you will no longer be required to move around on the machine as before, you pretty much stay put and counter-steer all day long. This made all the difference at the end of the day, before I would come home beat, and now I've still got some left in the tank. The sled handles WAY better than the GenII, gives tons more confidence.

Last, the track will take a little to get used to. About the time you belive it is going to get stuck the track will pop back ontop of the snow and continue to pull. The downfall to this is the window to turn out is smaller because you're staying commited to the climb longer.

Mods: Work on the clutching first, get it right and your belts will love you and this thing will pull harder than now!!!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I too had an older RMK 700. No way that sled holds a candle to the D8. The D8 doesn't hook up well with the crappy 5.1 track and you do have a much longer track. But that doesn't mean the 700 has better power. I think the 700 back then had like 118 HP. Not a good comparison. But when you get in the steep and deep, the D8 will shine.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Look up anything that f-bomb says on his posts, he has a great track mod, also has good clutching and other ideas.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Who did you buy it from and where do you live?

For guys that are new to the model I sometimes prefer to have them ride it as is prior to fixing it up. That way you can really feel the modifications and gives you a higher hapiness factor when you finally do the add ons.

Have you ridden or spent much time on the dragon model? Huge difference from the other Polaris chassis in handling (some good some bad all easy to personalize). The power from an EFI is smooth and will feel lazy in comparison to your previous sled with the mods I see (I assume it's in good running tune). The way the chassis tranfers is the start of that feeling and then combine that with EFI and alot more track and you'll feel like this thing is a slug in comparison. But you go ride them heads up and if your 800 will hook up it will kill that 700 in everything except a hard pan drag race (and if you want to drag race we can make it go better there as well). More as you comunicate your experiences and expectations.....from mild $...to wild $$$$$$!

If you are going to any of the western sled shows you can stop by our booth (SNOWMOBILE BETTER BOARDS) and I can show you an excellent example of "wild" and offer you some on site coaching. (Boise, SLC, Puyallup, Spokane, Denver, Jackson)
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Yep it will be there,

("BETTER" spot this year)
I can't remember our booth number for Denver but we are right down the center isle, as you enter, middle of the pack. Giant Better Boards Factory Display tent that shouldn't be hard to find! See you all there.

I

IDAHO HOT SHOT

Jan 21, 2009
South of Bellevue...way south
Hats off to Rob. I took what I believe was the sled in the photo for a spin at demo days in Cascade last spring. The sled as a DREAM to ride. By all means, if you have the cash, you can make it as "DREAMY" as you want.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
B sadly we are not! As much fun as we have at Hay Days the 48 hour haul just isn't worth it. I guess I'm just getting old! There was a day when cost and benefits didn't factor into the decision because you can't put a price on fun! BoooooOOOOoooooo...oh ya and sponsors used to pay for that trip.

Now if you miss me that much you should come out west for a ride with me like many of your other midwestern cohorts have done! Good times FOO SHO:D:D

S

Super B

Dec 26, 2002
Monticello, MN
www.rooost.ca
B sadly we are not! As much fun as we have at Hay Days the 48 hour haul just isn't worth it. I guess I'm just getting old! There was a day when cost and benefits didn't factor into the decision because you can't put a price on fun! BoooooOOOOoooooo...oh ya and sponsors used to pay for that trip.

Now if you miss me that much you should come out west for a ride with me like many of your other midwestern cohorts have done! Good times FOO SHO:D:D

That is a bummer! I was hoping that you and Tammy would make the huge trek out here this year.

I have been trying to talk Jonce into flying out to Boise this winter to do some riding. I will keep you posted on my progress!

S
Aug 17, 2009
Palmer, AK
why dont any of you guys in the aftermarket world ever make it out to ak? that would be ill, but that aside im deffinitly gettin them better boards on my d8. There a for sure upgrade if your in the pow n there nice looking.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
why dont any of you guys in the aftermarket world ever make it out to ak? that would be ill, but that aside im deffinitly gettin them better boards on my d8. There a for sure upgrade if your in the pow n there nice looking.

best mod you can do to a sled!

IDPOLARIS

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2008
Blackfoot Idaho
F bomb I live in Blackfoot. And i bought the sled in ashton @ pms . I was looking at doing exhaust and reed's, side vent's air horn,hand guard's skid plate, Anyother suggestion,s if you are in boise i'am only about 3 hour's away from you. Let me know what about slp y pipe and single with hps can on it .:D

P
Aug 24, 2009
British Columbia
if you pipe it like that youll have to change out your flash ? that is one recall that i had on my 09 assault. if i were you i would switch to twin slp pipes and do your re-flash. or get it port an polished after a few miles are on. them things fly up the hills with all stock just throw a can on maker sound mean and your good to go. lol

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
if you pipe it like that youll have to change out your flash ? that is one recall that i had on my 09 assault. if i were you i would switch to twin slp pipes and do your re-flash. or get it port an polished after a few miles are on. them things fly up the hills with all stock just throw a can on maker sound mean and your good to go. lol

slp twin pipes will not work with the 2010 updated head, if you are wanting to go that route you must purcahse slp's billet head which pretty much gets it back to the 09 stock head

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
B, you and Jonce come out to Id-ee-ho and I'll drag you around to a few cool spots. We are working on European Customer Appreciation Days Part Duece and we can tie in Midwestern Customer Appreciation Days into one big happy hard drinking non English speaking fiasco. Your life span will be shortened but it is SO totally worth it. The last one was epic and we didn't even hit the ultimate riding as the snow was actually TOO DEEP! :eek: Made some awesome friendships and can't wait to see my buddies again. Join us you guys will fit in like a glove.:beer; The basic plan is to tear up the west and finish at Jackson for hillclimb. Not prime riding time but a nice combo of conditions and fun. A detour through Vegas is not entirely out of the question either. I''ve made worse decisions.

IDPOLARIS,
Yep our factory is in Meridian right outside of Boise. We spend most of our time around McCall or outside of my girlfriend's family ranch in Eastern Oregon. Also ride all over the west with customers and friends so I'm lucky to see lots of stuff run of every variety. You being right in the heart of SLP country can't go wrong following some of their leads. Obviously stay away from the running board inserts that they sell as they aren't Better Boards:D! You can trust their pipes single or twin but you'll really need a good clutch kit to get the most of the exhaust. I'm not sold on reeds for this application. Did not have good experience and went back to stock and couldn't see a sacrefice. I strongly believe they are a frog hair performance mod that if you have all the money in the world might be a small bonus but it's one of the last things I'd do on this application. I've been around a ton of Carl's setup 800s with SLP single and they are really solid. Once again vents, proper setup suspension, and a good clutch kit makes these sleds universally good runners. You get a lot more from twins but you will have to apply some race gas and that limits some guys. I run em and they are worth the hassle for me. As far as the SLP single with the HPS can my experience was with a non efi setup so I'm hesitant to lead you that way. If you had a fuel controller and egt's plus were willing to test then I'd say go for it. Otherwise I'd stick with the known setup for exhaust. I found huge gains trimming and installing inset screws in the stocker 155 5.1 track. It was free and easy performance with no sacrefice in any snow conditions that I found. Not to say the powder claw or camo extreme isn't as good or even better but so far nobody has SHOWN me a better track for my application. Going to get more time around the PC tracks this year so maybe that will change. I'll let everyone know when I find out with certainty. So once again...buy Better Boards..selective venting as previously posted..and you are fine with the rest of your plan. Call Carl's for clutching or exhaust combos and you'll have a very solid high performance sled. Remember you get all of the updates and the 2010 demo (clutched by Carl's with Better Boards) I rode was really strong stock and that is what you'll have sort of.
whew.....

Alaska guy Snowgod you can't imagine how badly I want to come up there and ride...well more so I want to come fishing but riding would work as well. My buddy from Carl's Performance got to go with a great customer last year and said it was spectacular. We sell a bunch of boards up in AK so a biz trip is not that far of a fetch! Hopefully someday soon. I can pack a bag in under fifteen minutes if the right situation shows itself:D!

Jeremy your sled is coming along nicely! I lost alot of skin today and if I don't bleed out I should finish up tomorrow. We modified your rear block off plates but I didn't get them cut out in time and Dummy shut down the oven prior to coating them. He is missing half his A$$ now but is doing them first run in the morning. The boards are going to work great with your CR Racing accessories. Big improvement in the looks department and it should be much stronger along with way "Better" traction. Your motor parts looks wicked as well...I'm anxious to see it all come together. I have to call you in the morning about your rear suspension bracket plans. Don't want to drill holes in the boards if you are installing different mounting brackets so the looks stays perfect with just one mounting point. I built them so you'd have lots of room to work. I think it's going to be a very very nice custom job when all of the smoke clears.

Thanks again gang for the great compliments on our products...this is how I eat so it's critical that you guys love our parts and continue helping the unknowing get in the KNOW! Appreciated greatly!

Premium Features