• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Doo Cap... Any real world testing yet??????

Y

yankeeslover

Dec 11, 2014
I have read the past post on the $14.99 Doo Cap.... im just wondering now if anyone has been able to use it out on the trails yet? have we noticed an increase oil usage? I have not gone this route yet... Upstate NY..still not enough snow to ride yet, but hopefully by end of Jan we should be golden.... im debating this cap or the Paasso cap...have not decided yet until i know if anyone has been using the doo cap out in the real world yet...thanks

S

snopromod

Nov 30, 2008
wy
I am using one, sled still hasn't burnt up yet!
Videos in that thread were enough proof for me to put one on and it's cheap!

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Not sure what the riding is like in upstate NY, but if you ride trails and don't roll your sled....and you can hear the valve working in your factory cap, it's probably just fine. Pick up the cap and tilt it back forth and you should hear it opening/closing. Don't fill your oil tank right to the brim either.

I roll my sled all the time and am not jumping on this latest bandwagon. If the sled uses oil, and the valve opens/closes as intended....good enough for me.

Last edited:
D
I agree with Jay.... What I do is, run with the oil tank 1/2 full and then add oil only when the sled is cold. The next time I ride the air in the tank will be warming up and expanding which will pressurize the tank and help the oil flow to the pump. And since hearing about this oil cap venting paranoia I tend to crack the cap anytime I stop and have the side panel open just for added piece of mind when way back in no man's land!

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Real world here, 1.5 more turns on the pump and a doo cap sled went from 80:1 to 35:1 I leave black spots when I idle in the snow.

S

snopromod

Nov 30, 2008
wy
I'm not saying the polaris cap is junk, but when I sucked through both caps the ski doo cap drew in a ton more air, so simple bench test tells me it vents better and is a little piece of mind along with the video in that doo cap thread showing how much more oil drains in a minute time frame.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
"1.5 more turns on the pump"

How do you know this wasn't the reason it used more oil?

I don't think 1.5 turns will more than double your oil usage, but that is why I made sure to mention it as I didn't just simply do a cap swap. Every time I opened my cap after running the sled I could hear a whoosh of air come out. This was on a 15 RMK 800 LE.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I don't think 1.5 turns will more than double your oil usage, but that is why I made sure to mention it as I didn't just simply do a cap swap. Every time I opened my cap after running the sled I could hear a whoosh of air come out. This was on a 15 RMK 800 LE.

Common sense would tell you the air was rushing into the reservoir. Due to the Vacuum inside the reservoir from the pump trying to pump oil with inadequate venting.

If the air were indeed rushing out, there would be no need for the pump, as the pressure would force the oil into the engine. Air would only rush out of the reservoir as a result of pressure and the only realistic way to get that is thermal expansion.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Common sense would tell you the air was rushing into the reservoir. Due to the Vacuum inside the reservoir from the pump trying to pump oil with inadequate venting.

If the air were indeed rushing out, there would be no need for the pump, as the pressure would force the oil into the engine. Air would only rush out of the reservoir as a result of pressure and the only realistic way to get that is thermal expansion.

If it matters that much yes that would be true. The noise was there, that's all that mattered to me, and was enough to convince me to toss the stock cap in the garbage.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
If it matters that much yes that would be true. The noise was there, that's all that mattered to me, and was enough to convince me to toss the stock cap in the garbage.

I knew what you meant, but being a maintenance technician for a living, I like to be technical and start troubleshooting with factual information. It just makes finding the actual problem faster and more efficient, rather than chasing and proving I was misinformed by the operator.

I truly was not picking on you, sorry if you took it that way. Just clarifying for others.

Someone needs to do a snow dance or offering, whatever appeses the snow God, so we can ride instead of typing and Bitch'n. As Snowmobiler has that covered, even on a good snow year. Back to the discussion.

Oct 25, 2014
Creston BC
So I ran a Doo cap on my 2015 pro for a 3 day trip in Revy. My buddy ran a Poo cap on his 13 pro. We ran about the same miles each day. Both sleds used about the same amount of oil each day. I have now turned my pump up 1.5 turns and will try that and do some testing. Does the Doo cap make a difference? It did to my MasterCard !

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
So I ran a Doo cap on my 2015 pro for a 3 day trip in Revy. My buddy ran a Poo cap on his 13 pro. We ran about the same miles each day. Both sleds used about the same amount of oil each day. I have now turned my pump up 1.5 turns and will try that and do some testing. Does the Doo cap make a difference? It did to my MasterCard !

You bought a $13 item with a master card?

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Man who uses credit card wisely fly free and get free chit, interest free no monthly fee ya followin me? Must budget wisely

Men who complain about spending $13 on a item that will help protect a $11,000 machine don't usually pay attention to the small print! Obviously. Ya followin me?

A

Arctic Cowboy

Nov 10, 2014
Alaska
My buddy turned both of our oilers up just under two turns. We were runnin approximately 45:1 for several trips. We both went to the skidoo oil cap and I think he's running 30:1. I'm running 35:1 fairly consistently.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Men who complain about spending $13 on a item that will help protect a $11,000 machine don't usually pay attention to the small print! Obviously. Ya followin me?

Yah its crazy to me. Just take your stock cap off and blow threw it if you dont beleive anyone. At the angle it sits on the tank its plugged. Shake it around and blow threw it, it some times is open sometimes closed. Its a terrible design.

Last edited:
Premium Features