• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Periodic stalling at idle, inconsistent bogging on right side WOT

S
Dec 7, 2016
NW Washington
Issue started towards the end of last season where I started getting minor and inconsistent bogging when carving on right hand side and rolling onto throttle. It was easily overcome by brapping throttle. Sled would sputter a bit and then no problem.
Dealer was not able to help because issue could not be reproduced on dry land but suggested changing TSS and kill switch, which was done and no change (I used TSS bypass device and when that did not result in any change I re-installed my existing TSS).
Dealer suggested DuraPro magetic tether maybe faililng so I tried running without it connected at the wire harness and no change. Re-installed tether.
Dealer suggested fuel filter may be distended and letting in air but I have not yet tried replacing the filter as this occurs on a 3/4 full tank of gas. I'm not sure if it occurrs on a full tank. It does seem possible the issue correlates to a less than full fuel level but does not explain this:
First ride of the year started with a 7 mile road ride and 2 hours of technical climbing into a riding zone (lots of careful route finding, minimal WOT, lots of starting/stopping engine). Issue did not occurr the entire time until we arrived in the riding zone and first right hand carve into WOT the issue started.
More noticeable this time was stalling at idle that seems to accompany the bog. Bogging starts, and the sled will inconsistently sputter and eventually stall at idle. Sometimes it will idle smoothly.
MOST interesting was this (which occurred once last year and I'd forgotten):
  • Sled is stopped, leaning slightly downhill and to the right, handlebars turned fully to the right
  • Sled stalls
  • Withouth changing anything, able to start (e-start) and idle sled normally
  • Sled stalls immediately on applying throttle (no increase in RPMs achieved from idle)
  • Able to re-start and idle normally
  • Change nothing else at all except straighten handle bars without changing the position of the sled
  • No stalling, throttle behaves normally
Perhaps unrelated I am fowling a lot of plugs, which is not totally unusual but for example I fowled a brand new set after this ride alone. Feels like an increase in fowling plugs correlates to this problem but could be coincidental. Neither Mag or PTO is worse than the other - consistent deposits on both.
Tested compression this year and both sides are ~148. A little over 2300 miles on the sled.
Left to my own devices I'm going to trace all throttle and ignition-related wires and check for faults.
Will again try riding with TSS bypass and tether disconnected to ensure those variables are eliminated.
Will replace fuel filter.
Appreciate any insight or suggestions anyone has to offer.
✌️

D

Daner1978

Nov 26, 2022
Cottonwood Heights Utah
Issue started towards the end of last season where I started getting minor and inconsistent bogging when carving on right hand side and rolling onto throttle. It was easily overcome by brapping throttle. Sled would sputter a bit and then no problem.
Dealer was not able to help because issue could not be reproduced on dry land but suggested changing TSS and kill switch, which was done and no change (I used TSS bypass device and when that did not result in any change I re-installed my existing TSS).
Dealer suggested DuraPro magetic tether maybe faililng so I tried running without it connected at the wire harness and no change. Re-installed tether.
Dealer suggested fuel filter may be distended and letting in air but I have not yet tried replacing the filter as this occurs on a 3/4 full tank of gas. I'm not sure if it occurrs on a full tank. It does seem possible the issue correlates to a less than full fuel level but does not explain this:
First ride of the year started with a 7 mile road ride and 2 hours of technical climbing into a riding zone (lots of careful route finding, minimal WOT, lots of starting/stopping engine). Issue did not occurr the entire time until we arrived in the riding zone and first right hand carve into WOT the issue started.
More noticeable this time was stalling at idle that seems to accompany the bog. Bogging starts, and the sled will inconsistently sputter and eventually stall at idle. Sometimes it will idle smoothly.
MOST interesting was this (which occurred once last year and I'd forgotten):
  • Sled is stopped, leaning slightly downhill and to the right, handlebars turned fully to the right
  • Sled stalls
  • Withouth changing anything, able to start (e-start) and idle sled normally
  • Sled stalls immediately on applying throttle (no increase in RPMs achieved from idle)
  • Able to re-start and idle normally
  • Change nothing else at all except straighten handle bars without changing the position of the sled
  • No stalling, throttle behaves normally
Perhaps unrelated I am fowling a lot of plugs, which is not totally unusual but for example I fowled a brand new set after this ride alone. Feels like an increase in fowling plugs correlates to this problem but could be coincidental. Neither Mag or PTO is worse than the other - consistent deposits on both.
Tested compression this year and both sides are ~148. A little over 2300 miles on the sled.
Left to my own devices I'm going to trace all throttle and ignition-related wires and check for faults.
Will again try riding with TSS bypass and tether disconnected to ensure those variables are eliminated.
Will replace fuel filter.
Appreciate any insight or suggestions anyone has to offer.
✌️
The bogging is caused by the exhaust, suffocating under the snow. That’s why it only happens on the right side. Polaris did not create enough back pressure to blow out the deep powder when submerged just buy a Skidoo and you won’t have that problem.😝

S
Dec 7, 2016
NW Washington
The bogging is caused by the exhaust, suffocating under the snow. That’s why it only happens on the right side. Polaris did not create enough back pressure to blow out the deep powder when submerged just buy a Skidoo and you won’t have that problem.😝
I could accept that if it always occurred! But 2 full seasons and the majority of the 3rd on this sled riding deep snow and no similar issue 🤷‍♂️

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
As TRS mentioned above....Have you tried disconnecting the kill switch ? Or checked the wiring from switch down to the plug ?
I have fixed issues before of frayed KS wires along the bars from rubbing trees/branches etc where the wiring was grounding out on the bars when turning.

S
Dec 7, 2016
NW Washington
You may have a grounding issue. If by turning the bars fixes it. Start following the wires on the bars on down.
Thanks will check!
@HECKS definitely a possibility but I replaced the KS last season in attempts to troubleshoot and I was still experiencing the issue, but still definitely worth checking (and all the other handlebar wires too).

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
Tough senerio, so many things it could be lol. And will end up being something small/stupid. You would think electrical, as only happens when diving/turning right.
I don't recall stator plug issues on the 850's unlike the Axys had/have.

Last edited:

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Is your throttle cable adjusted correctly? If it is too tight, I have seen this happen and the tell tale is the bars being turned. You should have a couple of mm play in the flipper before it pulls the cable.

S
Dec 7, 2016
NW Washington
Is your throttle cable adjusted correctly? If it is too tight, I have seen this happen and the tell tale is the bars being turned. You should have a couple of mm play in the flipper before it pulls the cable.
I was wondering about the throttle cable but have never messed with it (intentionally lol). So it will cause stalling/bogging like mine?

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
Too tight it would rev up turning left....to loose just a floppy flipper an won't achieve full throttle

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
The throttle block might be so worn that the pin that holds the thumb throttle on, has too much hole play that then causes the engine to kill by just moving the thumb throttle around.

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
What I have seen is that If the throttle cable is too tight (no play in the flipper) and you turn the bars and it stretches the cable enough to open the throttle body (even a very small amount), the TPS sensor value will be greater than the TSS sensor value. That will cause the ECU to go into the TSS limp/limit mode.

S
Dec 7, 2016
NW Washington
Thanks everyone for your help with this. After thoroughly inspecting all wires and the throttle cable and unsuccessfully attempting to recreate the issue in my garage/driveway (including all sorts of shenanigans to simulate a downhill facing right side carve) it occurred to me that this issue might be related to moisture (since it does not start to occur until after some time riding). A friend mentioned that the wire harness bag until the hood (pto side) is known to accumulate moisture unless a hole is cut in the bottom, which I had not done. So I inspected all the connectors there and found a small amount of corrosion on the TSS connector. Installed a fresh TSS and went on a moderate ride (since we have not had **** for snow here in the PNW) and the issue did not occur at all. So I'm hoping a faulty TSS is the culprit but time and deeper wetter conditions will tell. I'll update here again if I figure something else out.
FWIW, our crew carry spare TSSs because they have failed on us before (more than once) and left sleds stranded. I forgot that I had put on a bypass last year when attempting to troubleshoot so not only had my original TSS failed, but the bypass failed too! Seems to be an issue with the connector in the harness bag getting moisture. I cut a hole for water to drain in my harness bag and hopefully that will help. Meanwhile I'm going to buy some resistors and build a couple TSS bypasses to have in my kit.

D

Daner1978

Nov 26, 2022
Cottonwood Heights Utah
Thanks everyone for your help with this. After thoroughly inspecting all wires and the throttle cable and unsuccessfully attempting to recreate the issue in my garage/driveway (including all sorts of shenanigans to simulate a downhill facing right side carve) it occurred to me that this issue might be related to moisture (since it does not start to occur until after some time riding). A friend mentioned that the wire harness bag until the hood (pto side) is known to accumulate moisture unless a hole is cut in the bottom, which I had not done. So I inspected all the connectors there and found a small amount of corrosion on the TSS connector. Installed a fresh TSS and went on a moderate ride (since we have not had **** for snow here in the PNW) and the issue did not occur at all. So I'm hoping a faulty TSS is the culprit but time and deeper wetter conditions will tell. I'll update here again if I figure something else out.
FWIW, our crew carry spare TSSs because they have failed on us before (more than once) and left sleds stranded. I forgot that I had put on a bypass last year when attempting to troubleshoot so not only had my original TSS failed, but the bypass failed too! Seems to be an issue with the connector in the harness bag getting moisture. I cut a hole for water to drain in my harness bag and hopefully that will help. Meanwhile I'm going to buy some resistors and build a couple TSS bypasses to have in my kit.
Wouldn’t it be a lot easier to just buy a skidoo? 🤣🤣🤣 not saying that they don’t have problems too! But they have a lot less problems than Polaris these days. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
If your bypass came from me, send me a pm and we can test it real quick over the phone. If there is an issue and its mine, Ill send you a new one, no charge. If your bypass failed and it is mine, yours would be the first and I want to get it back and figure out what happened. Ill pay to get it shipped back and for your trouble to get it in the mail.

Premium Features