• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

From Poo to Doo, first ride Revuu

Zad

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2017
Heh...ok, now i did know what sled you have because I did not read good enough,but now I found you said "na".
Yes, If you have a 2023 natural, then yes, clicker #3 and add a 1/2 a gram and that will get down to 8000 rpms.

Now that you taken a run, it does not matter what the elevation says on the setting sheet.
Let the tachometer tell you what to do.

IF you have X grams and see 8100 rpms, THEN add 0.5 grams [ish] or as close as you can, then it should go 8000 rpms. Change pivot bolt weight to the next-heavier gram.
Clicker 3 for strongest engine braking and most abrupt backshift and ski lift.
I just watched your part 1 installation video and now understand what you're suggesting, pretty straight forward. Thank you.

D
Dec 22, 2018
As far as the track, I know one thing: the Gen 5 full rod track is not as durable as the 163 3" Polaris track. I put 2400 km on the Polaris track and it looked new when I sold it today. The new-to-me skidoo track had 750 km on it when I bought it and it had 5 lugs with split tears down the paddle. From what I've read it's a two year track at best.

How the track performs is still a question for me to answer. I've been out on it for two rides, both in marginal snow so I stuck mostly to road riding. On roads in 60+ cm of snow it did well but it won't be until we get more snow and we're in the gnarly trees that I'll be able to compare it to the Polaris. I'll post back later in the season and share my thoughts.

People seem to have a hate on the Polaris 3" track but I liked it, tough as nails and it served me well. My buddy who went from a Polaris 850 163 3" to a 9R 165 2.75" preferred the 3"...both for durability and performance.

Doo Powdermax X-Light is far stronger than Polaris 3" tracks. But nothing will last if the rider is stupid and keeps pinning it against rocks and stumps.

Zad

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2017
Just hanging out with my wife and dog reminiscing about the great day in the mountains we had today. We have a very low snowpack but found a honey hole area that has great snow, setup perfectly for technical tree riding with lots of side hills and some open mountain slopes. What a day. And I got to put the new-to-me-doo through a few paces. We got into some gnarly gullies, trees and steep slopes. The Expert definitely initiates a turn off the flat easier than the Matryx, making open terrain powder turns a hoot. The Doo is, however, slightly harder, and slower, to get on edge. It's not a big difference but it's there. The rotational mass of the Doo track is greater too, making quick direction changes in the trees slightly slower and taking more rider input. These differences aren't huge, but noticeable. Today was my 3rd ride on the Doo and in the technical terrain it is taking me a bit to get myself dialed in to the sled.

Climbing, it's a beast. Several times today I hit a steep uphill transition with trees and direction change and throught I'd get stuck, but the 16" Doo track just chewed up the slope. Impressive.

The more I ride this sled the more I REALLY like SHOT. And the more Iike the adjustable limiter strap. Motor is just so smooth, and sips fuel. I'm glad I made the switch.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Imo the track hooks so well that it wants to push forward more on the doo than the Polaris. With the track spinning more I feel it’s easier to ride in technical terrain. Extra light doo track in a 2.6 version would be cool.

Zad

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2017
What did you end up setting your pin weight at after the first ride.
The sled was at 8100 rpm after the first ride so I ended up keeping the clickers at 3 and using the 30ml bolt with the 3mm weight. I rode today and it was at 7900-8000, ran great.

Zad

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2017
Any idea what you started out with for pin weight when the I backshift kit was installed? What are your thoughts on the skidoo track to you polaris track?

thank
I had a 163 3" on the Polaris and I like how the 165 3" Doo track moves the sled. It feels like it has more bite, climbs great and I'm sorting out my technical tree riding at speed on it...such a fricking fun sled. And, I just saw your PM and responded.

Last edited:

Zad

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2017
Ride update after 3 rides on the Doo: I spent the last two days riding excellent snow in a mountain zone with all sorts of steep and technical treed terrain and sloped open spaces. The more I ride this sled the more I like it. And, one thing I didn't even think about until I finally got into some tree riding is that on the Doo I can use the brake to help get me through trees at moderate speed. The Poo had the brake "fix" that limped the motor if the brake was engaged at x+ rpm for 3 seconds or something. With the Doo I'm able ride the brake to slightly steer the sled down slope while side hilling without having to let off the throttle, keeping the clutch engaged. This was impossible on the Polaris. Another tick in the like column for Doo. Such a sweet machine.

Last edited:

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
Ride update after 3 rides on the Doo: I spent the last two days riding excellent snow in a mountain zone with all sorts of steep and technical treed terrain. The more I ride this sled the more I like it. And, one thing I didn't even think about until I finally got into some difficult riding is that on the Doo I can use the brake to help get me through technical terrain at speed. The Poo had the brake "fix" that limped the motor if the brake was engaged at x+ rpm for 3 seconds or something. No such fix on the Doo and I like it. With the Doo I'm able use the brake to slightly "steer" the sled down slope while side hilling without having to let off the throttle, keeping the clutch engaged. It's so nice to be able to do this and it was impossible on the Polaris. Another tick in the like column for Doo. Such a sweet machine.
someone is OD on there own line of BS. 😂

R
Dec 28, 2010
Basin WY
I used to ride skidoo xm's a few years back,, loved em,,, and the way they handled,, (motor is pretty noisy though compared to new sleds), decided we would try the new polaris matryx chassis ( skidoo gen5) had not been released yet when i bought the 22 matryx,, the steering is probably the hardest thing to get used to ,, have taken the sleds in for there like 5th recall now and brake reflash last year on one kicked the check engine light on,, now replaced ev cable and recalibrate hopefully fixed and new clutches as per recall done now,, but very low snow conditions here in wyoming, still waiting to go out,, in the mean time i have purchased a 23 skidoo gen 5 expert turbo with a deposit payment waiting to meet in a week or so,, got a smoking deal i think with low miles,, hoping I love it as ive never rode gen 5 and never ever a turbo,, and super excited about the shot system,, was kinda wondering about taking off the 3 inch track and going back to a 2.5 figuring the durability would be better and quicker track speed and easier going down the trail ,, anybody done this ?? And also haven't done any research but will the 2.5 gen 5 track go right on with no driver change or anything ?? or is there a good aftermarket that will just got right on ?? its a 154 inch track,, machine also has the big screen so pretty excited about that,, if anybody has idea's on what i should look at when picking up the sled ?? already has the chaincase recall done with new gears and chain,, thinking about getting the TKI fix also anybody have experience with that ??? thanks sounds like everybody loves there gen 5 , hoping i will to,, as my matryx might just set in the trailer or get sold , not sure yet

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I used to ride skidoo xm's a few years back,, loved em,,, and the way they handled,, (motor is pretty noisy though compared to new sleds), decided we would try the new polaris matryx chassis ( skidoo gen5) had not been released yet when i bought the 22 matryx,, the steering is probably the hardest thing to get used to ,, have taken the sleds in for there like 5th recall now and brake reflash last year on one kicked the check engine light on,, now replaced ev cable and recalibrate hopefully fixed and new clutches as per recall done now,, but very low snow conditions here in wyoming, still waiting to go out,, in the mean time i have purchased a 23 skidoo gen 5 expert turbo with a deposit payment waiting to meet in a week or so,, got a smoking deal i think with low miles,, hoping I love it as ive never rode gen 5 and never ever a turbo,, and super excited about the shot system,, was kinda wondering about taking off the 3 inch track and going back to a 2.5 figuring the durability would be better and quicker track speed and easier going down the trail ,, anybody done this ?? And also haven't done any research but will the 2.5 gen 5 track go right on with no driver change or anything ?? or is there a good aftermarket that will just got right on ?? its a 154 inch track,, machine also has the big screen so pretty excited about that,, if anybody has idea's on what i should look at when picking up the sled ?? already has the chaincase recall done with new gears and chain,, thinking about getting the TKI fix also anybody have experience with that ??? thanks sounds like everybody loves there gen 5 , hoping i will to,, as my matryx might just set in the trailer or get sold , not sure yet
I just installed the TKI kit on my 24. I haven’t rode it yet since the install, but won’t notice anything different anyway. Hopefully if the two piece driveshaft is a problem it will be the fix.

D
Dec 22, 2018
Ride update after 3 rides on the Doo: I spent the last two days riding excellent snow in a mountain zone with all sorts of steep and technical treed terrain and sloped open spaces. The more I ride this sled the more I like it. And, one thing I didn't even think about until I finally got into some tree riding is that on the Doo I can use the brake to help get me through trees at moderate speed. The Poo had the brake "fix" that limped the motor if the brake was engaged at x+ rpm for 3 seconds or something. With the Doo I'm able ride the brake to slightly steer the sled down slope while side hilling without having to let off the throttle, keeping the clutch engaged. This was impossible on the Polaris. Another tick in the like column for Doo. Such a sweet machine.

This 100%.

I use brake a lot to control the momentum. Cant understand how Polaris riders can ride with this "fix", maybe you can bypass it somehove

Zad

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2017
This 100%.

I use brake a lot to control the momentum. Cant understand how Polaris riders can ride with this "fix", maybe you can bypass it somehove
Removing the brake light fuse eliminates the so-called fix. I chose not to do this for safety reasons. It’s a safety issue both ways though, before I trained myself to be completely off the brake until I absolutely needed it I limped the motor several times on steep slopes. And a friend who tried my sled from his cat who uses the brake a lot limped it right away.

Last edited:
Premium Features