• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Conditions 2

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
2-3 inches new snow since the weekend in the Trailshead area, Less as you go North or East. Last nights snow favored more to the South but I have not heard any reports South of Trailshead. I expect the snow to hold through this weekend except for the Eastern side and close into Lead and Deadwood. I would expect some problems keeping cool in the mornings like last weekend. Right now with the little new snow we had the trails are in great shape through the core of the system. I rode East on trail 5 today not quite to Recreation Springs and had very good conditions. Temps up high are predicted in the mid to upper 40's. 50's in Lead and Deadwood. Low 40's for daytime highs are not unusual for us in February.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Really hope it holds up but this is pretty warm for early February.

The temperatures on your smart phone screen match more closely to temps predicted for Spearfish. Some of the weather forecasts do not do a good job of forecasting for a specific location which is extremely important for looking at predicted weather in the Black Hills. The only forecast service I rely on and has been the most accurate is the National Weather Service. I can get a more realistic forecast for Lead, SD and can pinpoint other locations such as Trailshead and Hardy Camp. There usually a noticable difference in temps between Lead and the Trailshead area and the NWS forecast reflects that difference.
Lead:
Fri - 57
Sat - 55
Sun - 50
Mon - 50

Hardy Camp / Trailshead:
Fri - 51
Sat - 50
Sun - 44
Mon - 47

Today when I left Hardy Camp at 3:30 it was overcast and 40 degrees. I rode South around Mallow Camp, Beaver Creek, Black Fox and back. Trails were in great shape. The only bare spot I saw was near Junction of 1 and 8 where an Arctic Cat burned to the ground on the trail. No sign of snow pack deterioration today.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Hey, I need a honest opinion on how the trails are going hold up this Sat-Monday with this warm up predicted. I have 8 guys traveling 15hrs and some are getting cold feet about going. They are mostly trail riders and with the weather predicted sounds like its not going to be nice. Should we go or should we shoot for the Up of MI?
UP just got a foot

jeffxc700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
SUX
Was snowmobiling in the Hills Last weekend, got to see the 68 machine win no.100.. No,the conditions were not as they were a few weeks back, but I would drive 1000 miles round trip to do it all over again in a heartbeat. I dont ride as much as I use too, but in the 27 years of traveling to the best trail system in North America, I have never been skunked.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Not looking too promising for president's weekend. What are the odds the trails will hold up to the point of being able to ride outta spearfish canyon lodge?

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Snow did survive the day. Rode into Rec Springs on 5, had snow all the way. 5A just past Rec Springs and 7A just before Dumont had some bare spots. Trail 2K from Trail 7 to Blackfox had good snow cover. Rode 1 North to 3A then cut cross country to 4 where it crosses Tinton and had good snow. Today was suppose to be the warmest day. 46 degrees at Hardy Camp at 2:30pm.

stumpjumper007

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
Eastern SD
the snow did take quite a beating though. It's starting to rain outside and the wind picked up to about 30 miles an hour. might as well be a Chinook wind....not looking good for Presidents Day weekend. if your coming any distance you might want to reconsider what trails that will still be rideable, will be packed with snowmobiles....

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Did not seem as warm today as yesterday. Also cloudy most of the day. The wind was starting to pick up when I left at around 6pm. Also was sprinkling a little. Trails I was on today were still holding up. I have to cut some hours so I will not be up tomorrow. I will be back up on Wednesday to see what is left.

stumpjumper007

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
Eastern SD
unfortunately it's sunny out today and the winds blowing about 20 miles an hour. will head out tomorrow and see how the trails are holding up. last night's rain didn't amount to much. wind went down after dark.

O
Jan 30, 2011
Black Hills
What I know

Five of us rode out of Trailshead Saturday, trailering up snow was really thin in Spearfish Canyon until we got past Cheyenne Crossing. Parking lot at Trailshead was not muddy yet (surprisingly) but with the temps and the wind I can't imagine it will last. We rode south but jumped off the trail into meadows as soon as possible, we jumped from meadow to meadow occasionally crossing the trail until we were about 20 miles south of Trailshead, where the snow was getting noticeably thinner. The snow in the meadows was adequate but it was set up hard and rough with about 2-3 inches of fresh on top which was quickly turning to slush. The biggest concern will be if it turns cold it will all be solid ice but if the temps stay above freezing you could still ride. If you are trail riding it will probably be mid morning before there is any lubrication available on trail before that they will be mostly ice. We did not ride north but I heard that Rifle Pit Canyon was the best riding which it usually is because quite a bit of it is protected from sun and wind, hope this helps with any decisions you need make.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
What trails did you take yesterday.

I rode 1 North to Riflepit, cut cross country to trail 4, North on 4 to Tinton Rd (FS134), rode through the trees along Tinton rd back to trail 6 where it crossed Hwy85. Rode 6 to 2 and back to Hardy Camp. Hardy to Trail 2 to trail 5 trail 7 to Dumont, back to 2K through Blackfox and to 8, across 8 to Boles Canyon Rd (FS117)at Junction of 1 and 8. rode Boles Canyon North back to 2 to Trailshead. Rode trail 4 North to Tinton road and back on 4. Found very few bare spots, some thin and icy spots, some snirt, rest was in good shape. The boundary's holding the best snow are Dumont to the East, Cement Ridge and Trail 4A to the North, Flag Mountain and Trail 9 to the South.

Premium Features