• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XM vs Pro vs PC

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
Here's what I love about opinions in threads like these. If a person has the same opinion as you he is a genius and is thanked for being so smart. If he has a different opinion than you he is a moron and should be flamed for being so stupid. :face-icon-small-ton

Its kinda like speed limits. Anyone driving faster than me is a psycho and anyone driving slower is a moron.

S

snowyo

Dec 11, 2007
BC
bottomless pow=pro
setupsnow=xm

So taking weather and snow into consideration the Pro(rmk) has the edge for about a month and half maybe two.The other three or four months the xm doo wins.Cool ill take the 4 months alex.:face-icon-small-hap

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I like my Doo. I love it.

Been riding doo since 1995 and I can honestly tell you I have absolutely no issue sidehilling my XP. And all I did was add the 36" wide front end from the 2012.

I thought the OP's post was valid. He admits to being a Cat guy and also admits that the other 2 riders aren't Doo guys. And yet they all like the XM better. I don't see the problem.

How a sled handles depends solely on how you set it up. My XP used to trench like a MOFO! I swapped out that stock Challenger Lite track and went to a Challenger Extreme. I changed to a 36" narrower front end and add Fox Zero Pros to the STOCK skid. I played with the spring tensions on the rear and center shock and finally got it to where it handled the best FOR ME.

When I demo the XM in March, before I even ride it I will change the spring tensions and bars to match my current setup.

You cannot take a sled that just came from a box and off the showroom floor, ride it and have it be the best setup. Not gonna happen. Does the dealer know how much weight you carry, does he know if you are a meadow muffin, tree basher or a steep and deep boondocker? No. You will get the baseline setup.

I have ridden a PRO. Personally, I hate it. the rider position is too narrow and I don't feel comfortable. From what I have seen, the motor is an unreliable time bomb and in order to make the thing as light as possible, they skimped on the durability of parts that need to be beefier. A-arms that are glued together?? The 2014 Pro will have none of these issues and most likely be heavier than the 2013. The belt drive will most likely end up having a 3rd wheel.

None of my friends I ride with regularly, ride a ProClimb so I have no idea about that.

Seems to me that whenever the XM gets a better review than the Pro, a lot of guys get their panties in a twist. Personally, I think folks should be happy that BRP stepped up and modified their chassis to answer Polaris's PRO chassis. They already had the motor, just needed to make a good move for the chassis.

The raised the bar with the REV and yet again with the REV XP. Cat already had a good chassis with the M series and Polaris was on the bubble. They created a chassis that the masses liked. in 2011 they raised the bar. Took 2 seasons for BRP to answer it. They have the fuel line issue but have a real fix. And the T-motion failures? Two. At least that have been made public on these forums. Be happy that the Big Three are trying to step up to the plate to keep the mt segment powerful and lightweight.

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
I can honestly tell you I have absolutely no issue sidehilling my XP.

Same Here....until I rode the XM and was blown away, it only took me a couple rides to forget how to ride/sidehill an XP, I guess I just got lazy at how easy it is on the XM and how much effort for the XP. Case and point just look at the front end of my wifes XP, I smashed the crap out of it in about 30 seconds of riding it, nailed a tree dead on!

When I demo the XM in March, before I even ride it I will change the spring tensions and bars to match my current setup[/SIZE]. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

You cannot take a sled that just came from a box and off the showroom floor, ride it and have it be the best setup. Not gonna happen.

You might just be surprised on this one, after owning every Doo chassis since the early 90's like you have this XM is a different animal...almost like an anomaly.

....maybe a bigbore:face-icon-small-hap

F
Dec 10, 2010
Whistler, BC
bottomless pow=pro
setupsnow=xm

So taking weather and snow into consideration the Pro(rmk) has the edge for about a month and half maybe two.The other three or four months the xm doo wins.Cool ill take the 4 months alex.:face-icon-small-hap

You live in the wrong part of town!

So maybe the "right in the middle" arctic cat is the happy medium?

Just to jump on the rode-it-once-know-everything-about-it-bandwagon, I got to try a 2012 cat the other day in what I can only describe as "variable conditions, firm powder" as in faceshots and sh!thooks, but you had to work for it. From what I could tell, the cat was a very easy adjustment from my 07 dragon. Handling was very similar, only when I got it on its' side in a flat sh!thook, if I stayed on the throttle that thing would not fall over. It found its' balance point and stayed there. Very, very fun.

I tipped an xp over, it kickflipped itself and the brake lever broke off :noidea:

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Same Here....until I rode the XM and was blown away, it only took me a couple rides to forget how to ride/sidehill an XP, I guess I just got lazy at how easy it is on the XM and how much effort for the XP. Case and point just look at the front end of my wifes XP, I smashed the crap out of it in about 30 seconds of riding it, nailed a tree dead on!

You seem to be good at that. I have a new XP pipe for cheap! :D It's an SPI.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
but but but, all the cool kids ride pros so if you dont ride a pro you'll never be one of the cool kids. theys kinda like the flat brimmed hats and skinny jeans of snowmobiles.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Nope

I'm confused by the title. Are the ski doo and cat fighting for 2nd place? Because everyone knows the pro is number 1 ;)

Now they do, here, but all the other village idiots need to hear it as your horse approaches, ride lone ranger!

To the trained eye it's a politically correct operating system comparison and all the Geeks are chiming in with what drives them.

I gave up after the ZX, didn't feel like going off the Edge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J73TLFheyAQ

H
Feb 16, 2009
Deep pow = pro domination

Up in revy a week ago , deep pow nothing came close to a 163 13 pro Wow !
Not even close ... Just what I seen did better than my well set up dragon
My dragon still rocks against any xp's or new xm's . I would say I still out climb them in those conditions we where in deep pow.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I got to try all 3 brands today.

I did not like the Cat, but the track was BAD ***.

I liked the Pro, the power seemed better than the 2011 I last tried.

But the XM was incredibly easy to move around, without having to throw your legs around. I liked the XM best for that, although I liked the riding position of the Pro better.

Tree guy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2013
In my opinion the best thing about having a Polaris is if someone steels it they they will always bring it back.

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
rode today with three die hard cat guys. Two of them spent about 10 min. each on my xm, and both of them said they are going to snowcheck a new XM this spring. They both said the XM was the nicest, easiest to ride, all out powder carving machine they have ever been on.

D

Dizzle

Nov 19, 2012
Oregon
What were the Cat guys coming off of?

*edit

DAMNIT SNOWHAWK could you SERIOUSLY post a bigger god damn picture!? How bout you keep you illegitimit posts in your pointless thread you made??:yell:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Let's just say all the sleds are dead equal riding in the snow and terrain of everyone who rides North America. From my personal experience and backed up over and over on this forum both Cat and Doo are much more owner friendly. They back up the dealers on warranty claims. Pro doesn't. In fact they fight warranty to the point of it being nearly criminal. When you get passed to the warranty company after the first year it gets worse. Hard to get more crooked but they do. And you only have to worry about pistons, cylinders, cranks, driveshafts, and the wonderful Quickfail belt. I am done with Poo after this year. They would have to make a sled that was LIGHTYEARS ahead of Cat or Doo for me to buy one. That's not going to happen.

Premium Features