• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WSSA Lacking vision to continue program as it has been

W
May 2, 2012
I follow the I90 corridor grooming groups and also the recent discussion about increasing the tab fees to keep our snoparks and grooming program going.

There have been a few recent posts that got my attention and when I tried to post them on WSSA facebook and get more information they were instantly deleted.

I talked who wrote them and he gave me some great information and facts. It seems WSSA has their head buried in the sand and is just willing to let the program get cut and cut again. Almost 20% last year and another he predicts 20%+ this year. WSSA has not presented any numbers and even recanted on thier vote to increase registration which was supported by again another survey.

This old WSSA is going to let the program fail by their inability to be forward thinkers and keep the program sustainable. I really wish they would present a solution to keep the program whole. We have seen this issue here before and if you are a WSSA member or just a WA Sledder please write WSSA and ask for thier solution. Not talk but real numbers that support the program as it is and has been.

Washington Sledder

After is what I tried to post to WSSA Facebook that they prompty deleted;

As we look at this replacement of this snow park we should also be aware that non motorized is also very interested in expanding the areas they have to use. We might look at making it more of a shared snopark to help in the cost of keeping it open.

It seems the non motorized leadership has the vision to keep their areas open and improve others while motorized leadership (WSSA) lacks the vision to increase revenue to at least keep our program whole. Almost 20% decrease in grooming last year and a predicted 20% + decrease this year, 40%+ cut in two year WSSA still has not presented any plans to keep the system viable as it has been. NON MOTORIZED on the other hand has increased revenue and has been able to add trails, increase grooming and replacing aging equipment.

Please write WSSA and let them know you are willing to pay more to keep our program viable. Its a shame that they are letting the program they built into one of the greatest programs in the country fail because of lack vision and looking at the real numbers...

I hope it only snows for two months because that is all funding we will have this year for grooming. That is the real truth!!!! Not a scare tactic Matt Mead, look at the numbers and that is what we have and has been coming for years. WSSA has failed the program they built, failed us sledders. Glad they worked hard to keep the areas open just to lose them because they didn't want to raise fees.

Think WSSA, you built it and now you are taking it down..... its a real shame........

Disappointed in what my WSSA membership supports....
Nick

Heres the other I tried to post, obviously WSSA couldnt take it;

No worries Karen, the snowmobilers can't even help themselves.

WSSA used to be a great advocate for snowmobilers now it's a huge hindrance to even keeping what we have. Sad.

Again glad to see the non motorized setting a clear vision for the future and working to achieve it.

We should really look hard at working together and making Price Creek more non motorized. Non motorized folks have the vision to keep their program whole and build, while the motorized users are continually shot down by WSSA( who are supposed to support them).

How many surveys do we need WSSA?? please try and follow the example set by the non motorized. They did it, we can too. They even did it without a survey. They got some uneducated/uninformed users upset but stood their ground because it needed to be done and now after a couple years they are where they wanted to be.

Great job WRAC(non motorized) leadership!!!! WSSA needs to follow your example or continue to see the motorized program cut until there is no more grooming.

Think WSSA, THINK!!!

Nick

C
Aug 24, 2009
Redondo, WA
As for the statements from Nick, it IS time we (WSSA) make a final decision on what we are endorsing so we can start to garner support. Nick does have a point even though he may be berating WSSA in the process of bringing it to our attention. He does have a vested interest as he is one of the contracted groomers on I-90 for the winter program and I believe he is letting too much of that emotion into the conversation. NOW is time for an increase and it must happen in the next legislative session without fail. WSSA has voted in favor of a registration increase & We cannot keep solely chasing pennies on the dollar with the Fuel Tax increase, not saying we should give up on it but lets face it, it will not even come close to closing the gap in funding we need to keep the program alive. The motorized group does not have the ability to simply enact a fee increase, it MUST happen through the State Legislature and we will be rallying hard to get the legislation pushed through to insure the program is sustainable for years to come.

WSSA voted for (and has not backed off, nor recinded) the $40.00 registration increase at the last budget meeting. We are re-evaluating the actual dollar amount & I can assure you it is not on the back burner and is still very much the top issue facing us today. Our next official meeting is in August and this issue will be discussed and a final plan put in place to seek the change to the legislation in the next session. Details regarding that meeting can be found on www.wssa.us and you are welcome to send the board members your thoughts/comments/concerns, we are listening...

Have a great weekend, still some fantastic spring riding out there~

Casey Kuhlman
WSSA Membership Secretary
casey.kuhlman@wssa.us

B
May 5, 2012
Help WSSA help all of us

As a newer district rep in WSSA, I am just now beginning to wrap my brain around this complex issue (of grooming funds). Yes, the grooming fund is currently in a terrible state of affairs, and things will likely get worse before they can be made better. I appreciate the intensity of your voices, as snowmobiling means the world to me too. I too share your frustrations of what appears to be negligence (or failure) on WSSA's part. I'm here to help change that! I'd love constructive input.
It must be publicly understood that just because WSSA votes something doesn't make it pass into law. Our (motorized) program isn't like the non-motorized program; it would be nice if it were that simple. This is politics we're dealing with, folks. I wish it were as easy as voting on it and making it so; it isn't though.:face-icon-small-sad
There are a lot of good ideas to "fix" the program. I recognize the validity in most of them. We need to work together toward a solution. I understand our job as WSSA board members to do as the members of the organization wish us to do. Problem is- I haven't heard one single solution that is supported by what we'd call a "majority". The recent survey shows us that a registration increase would be supported. The amount of the increase of course comes into question. I personally don't see a "hail Mary" working for the program long term. I'm more in favor of consistent team action, and using a variety of plays in the book. I welcome the public's ideas for a long term well rounded approach.
Let's come up with a variety of positive options, rather than challenging an already exhausted WSSA board to "just fix it". I invite you to join WSSA. Become involved in the organization. You can help make it what you want it to be. (What we all need it to be) There are a number of long-time leaders in WSSA that are ready to hand the baton off to new members with passion for the sport and drive to make the right things happen. Let one of them be you:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features