• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Worn Clutch

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
2004 RMK 800, full engine rebuild @ 2300 now at 2900. SLP twins.

Had my clutch gone through by Indy Specialties this fall, great work (machined sheave faces, balanced, set belt clearance, replaced a couple bushings). I've put about 600 miles on it now and recently noticed I'm only pulling 7700 RPM on climbs that I would normally pull 8000 RPM (I know thats a little low, been meaning to grind my weights a little).

Looking at my weights today I noticed they were a bit crooked and the moveable sheave was grooved where the sides of the weights touch it. Looks like the groove that the weights made is keeping the weights from fully shifting out.

Did I mess up when I put the weights in? Is there some sort of washer or shim that goes on each side of the weight to prevent this? What is the remedy, a new moveable? I haven't done any dissassembly to check on anything yet...

Thanks.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Nope, Polaris big blocks eat weight pin bushings. Pull the weights out, press in new weight pin bushings and put it back together. If the spider isn't chewed too much you are probably ok. If you are worried that it is chewed very much you might want to just have IndyDan recheck the balance.

Also check the rollers, if the weights are cocked off sideways it can wear the rollers.

sled_guy

Premium Features