• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Whos riding the "new" update??

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Thanks Ron,
I had a guy here tell me that they have seen that with some synthetic oils too. :eek: Crazy stuff. There was a Polaris tech on another thread that had originally mentioned this so it must be a somewhat common occurrence. These guys having multiple burn downs may want to look a little further into this.
I'm sure I was sucking some air. The air box was spotless inside, but my reeds have a lot of gunk on them. Belt dust mixed from some dust at haydays I imagine as it was on display there.

S

stmike

Dec 22, 2008
northern Ontario
since ethanol was introduced in fuel i have replaced more pluged fuel filters and defective electric fuel pumps in pickup trucks It is so bad at the met site were i work,i cut a hole in the box of trucks and put a door to get at the fuel pumps.Ethanol has cost way more than it is worth.

S
Nov 29, 2007
Kamloops, BC
I have been out 6 times now on my 09 Shift 800 since the update, Riding in steep and deep powder each time and I can say that I am impressed, no bogging, no mising, no hesitation. Hopefully she lasts the season without blowing up and I'll be happy

B

bradb1us

Dec 10, 2008
Salt Lake City
Got my two '09 D8's back and spent half a day getting the old crappy fuel cleaned out.

They ran great! I also had the dealer do a pipe/clutch install. Now they sound great, too!

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Just over 100 miles on my second 2010 updated engine and pistons look great this time! Runs 8200 rpm at the start of a ride, but it drops down to around 7900- 8050 after a while. Not exactly sure what caused it to go last time, as I think the 2010 updated motor is good. But somewhere in replacing the pipe, pipe senser, ECM, voltage reg, and reeds my dealer seems to have the problem fixed. Leaving for a two da trip to the mountains tomorrow, if it still runs when I'm back I'll be ordering a PC5 for it. (new fuel map SUCKS!!!!! in the mid range)

A

ak49er

Dec 10, 2008
Big Lake, AK
Got the update done on both 800 CFI Assaults @ approxiamtely 1400miles.

SLP Cans on both, sealed cowlings, sealed airboxes, with drains. Blue Injectors. New gapped plugs, new broke in belt, clean clutches.

Tech Rep asked if the sleds lived in a heated Garage, as the general engine condition was good considering the miles. It does. The cylinders were not replaced on either machine, and were untouched as I understand it. Pistons seemed to be in OK condition, were updated though, including the Reflash, and new head.

Ran the break in tank easy as recommended, a few sputters and farts. Garage inspection revealed the VES valves were gunked. I can't believe they would assemble a rebuild and send them both out the door without at least notifying the customer that his valves are loaded with "Clean Burning Polaris VES Gold Oil." (1600' ASL, 23*F)

Even worse, I can't believe I let them get that bad.:eek:

Still easing into it at second tank of dilute oil/gas. Factory Clean VES valve and system. Still Seems to stumble one pop, just when I really need it, rolling into the throttle, from mid range while trying to pop up off something, or when rolling off throttle and quickly rolling back on. (1600' ASL, 10*F)

Third tank of fuel, ripping it across swamps and rolling in and out of throttle while making high speed carves through swamps, serious stumble, with some backfire thrown in.

Trying to jump roads yesterday ,(175' ASL, 36*F) the machine let me down stumbling, popping, coughing and losing power when I needed it, tried to clear road bank and came up short smashing into the other side, elbow is jacked.

Is this thing really getting worse, with less oily fuel?

Wifes machine does not exhibit this, but she may be less aggressive with throttle variations.

So, is this maybe the TPS out of adjustment, the "Update" Mapping, Fuel Filter, or all three and more???

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
So, is this maybe the TPS out of adjustment, the "Update" Mapping, Fuel Filter, or all three and more???

Damn good question. I'm running well right now with a PCV. But if the problem is not mapping, then I'll be in the same boat as everyone else. I'd like to know if there is TPS or regulator issues after the update. I heard of so many regulator issues early last year and the update doesn't do anything to that. I'm sure Polaris' map is super rich.

B
Sep 16, 2008
AK49er,
Mine ran exactly as you describe. Fed up, I went for the PCV with Jim's recommended Stoutner autotune variation of his dyno map. So far has been amazing difference. Power is there when asked, unlike the stumbles before. While I hate the fact that we need to mod for our sleds to run right, I have been singing praise to the PCV/DTR map ever since I installed it.
Bugito,
Hope you're just proving the ssame. Happy riding.

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
recall on 08 D8

My 08 D8 has 905miles on it and had the pistons, head, and mapping done with the recall. Had it once out during an early snow for about 15 minutes, seemed to run great. A week later, we got about 10" new snow. Went out to do some playing and breaking-in. Had the oil in the gas premix, and I was careful to monitor rpm's and engine temp. I never took it above 8000 rpm and temp was never over 124degrees. Every once in awhile though, I noticed the check engine light would come on for just a second or two. Was running okay, so didn't think anything of it. Stopped for lunch, sled cooled down. Went out again for about 1/2 hour and was just coming across field and that light came on again, then again, then it started blinking.:eek: The engine did seem to loose some power, so I limped back to the trailer. Temp was still okay. Pulled plugs, they looked okay, too. Does the check engine light mean that detonation was occurring? What does it mean when it flashes continuously? I'm calling the dealer tomorrow. I have a trip to the mountains in about 5 weeks. Anybody else experience these symptoms?
Any help/info will be appreciated.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I took my 08 D-8 163 out for the first time today with the 10 update(its been installed for a while but sled was apart getting other mods...)no oil in the gas, unloaded at the lot brought up to 130 and shut off for 20 minutes..rewarmed to 120 and up a rough 8 mile trail to play area...(constant on off throttle from 1/4 to full all the way up the trail).. this sled just had curts(fastrax motorsports drop and roll installed along with the 2.5-163- 2.86 pitch camo extreme ..everything else performance wise is the same from last season(drivers, clutching, slp single,gears)motor turned 8100 rpm at 44 mph track speed...by the end of the day motor turns a solid 8350 at 47 mph track speed, motor has a very very slight stumble when you get back on the gas when under 2000 ft elevation..above 2000ft it runs perfectly..I am surprised by both the rpm and track speed considering how big of a traction difference there is between the extreme and the stock track..I climbed stuff today with no effort that I wouldnt have attempted last year with the stock track..my feeling is the motor is making more power both in the midrange and up top....we will see what it does over the next few weeks....

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I agree, AKSNOWRIDER'S sled ran great all day. I got around as good or better than it looks:D Thanks for a great ride today Mike. I sure hope that thing keeps running for you like that all season. Troy and doug are both going to be needing new tracks...........

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
flashing check engine light

I just read on another post here that the EGT sensor is probably bad. These other 2 guys said they replaced theirs. Going to dealer on Wednesday to hook to computer to read codes. Hopefully, it's something minor.;) Hopefully, it's covered by waranty.

snowswat

Premium Member
Mar 4, 2008
Brighton, CO
I now have three days riding with the update. The sled performed great and pulled hard all the way from the bottom to the top with peak RPMs at 8250.

O
Jan 3, 2010
My d8 runs good turning 8300 with 3rd ride.

My buddys not so good melt down on Sunday mag side his has always been a dog.

H
Nov 26, 2007
havre, montana
my 08 d8 and ridin buds 08 d8 are clutched the same and each have 3 rides on since 10 update, mine turns 8000 with 33 mph track speed, his turns 8250 with 30 mph track speed, both have carls clutch kits, mines 19-42 gearing, his ? gonna find out

A

ak49er

Dec 10, 2008
Big Lake, AK
Just heard, Poo got another re-flash coming down the pipe, no release date, said to fix mid-rpm bog for riding below 3000' ASL.

Anyone got a good lead on where to pick up a Power Commander EFI control box, to use till then?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
my 08 d8 and ridin buds 08 d8 are clutched the same and each have 3 rides on since 10 update, mine turns 8000 with 33 mph track speed, his turns 8250 with 30 mph track speed, both have carls clutch kits, mines 19-42 gearing, his ? gonna find out

hilinerider, how high of elevation are you riding at? those track speeds seem really low...mine at 3500 ft the last 2 weekends is turning 8350 at 47 mph pretty consistently....mines a mix of carls and slps clutching with 19/42 for gears on a camo x 2.5 163 track....

H
Nov 26, 2007
havre, montana
hilinerider, how high of elevation are you riding at? those track speeds seem really low...mine at 3500 ft the last 2 weekends is turning 8350 at 47 mph pretty consistently....mines a mix of carls and slps clutching with 19/42 for gears on a camo x 2.5 163 track....

6-10k, carls clutch kit, 200 miles on update, stock pipe, slp & hps can, 19-42 gearing on mine, 91 pump gas no ethanol, wires plugged in

Premium Features