• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Klim Atlas 26 vs Aspect 16

titus_4

Doo It Big
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 27, 2019
Indiana
Looking for reviews on both. Can't decide which one. I don't plan to have much in the pack so storage isn't a big concern. Main thing I'm between is the front straps vs chest plate. Seems like from what I've read the chest plate helps carry the load a little bit, but my concern is being able to get inside my onesie suit. Seems like it would make it hard to get at the inside pockets, or to get to my beacon, should I need it.

Anyone have experience with both? Is the size that noticeable on your back? For reference, I'm 5'10" 190 lbs.

The Atlas has the side pockets on the belt, could the beacon be carried in there?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Im a fan of not having anything but bare essentials on back. That is shovel, probe and a radio. I see people loading a pack. Why not let sled pack it. If it weren't for avalanche safety, i wouldn't wear one. I have the 16 and no need to try 26. The chest plate is awesome. Takes the weight off your shoulders. I have shoulder woes. As far as access, its 1 zipper difference than 26 and is easy. One buckle, short zipper and waist belt. Best pack out there imo and I've tried most of them. Get the 16. The new one is a half pound lighter than mine which pisses me off. That's a big deal on your back all day.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I have had both the last few seasons and absolutely hated the chest plate on the Aspect 16. I'm a bigger guy and that plate always sat funny and was uncomfortable for long days. Were the Atlas 26 was just like wearing any other backpack and was easier to get into your jacket. Granted it is bigger but if you didn't load it down heavy the size was not very noticeable to me. I ended up getting rid of the 16.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I have the 16 and it's perfect, I like the chestplate, and there is enough adjustment in upper and lower straps to get it positioned comfortably. I only keep a probe, shovel, radio, and one or 2 pairs of gloves in mine, everything else is on the sled. I wouldn't want anything bigger.

The only thing I don't like about it, is that you have to open it up all the way and unzip the case for the blower to turn it on or off, or to deflate it. Also, deflating requires holding the valve open manually while you try to squeeze all of the air out. I believe this year's version addressed both of those concerns though.

titus_4

Doo It Big
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 27, 2019
Indiana
I appreciate the replies. I ended up ordering the 16. I've been trying to find a used one but I really wanted the new features of the E2 so I went with a new one.

Looking forward to getting it so I can get comfortable with it before we head west in February.

Thanks again for everyones input.

Premium Features