• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What's In your pack

S
Nov 26, 2007
Shovel,emergency blanket,fire starter,foil wrapped wet ones,duct tape,snack bars ,lots o water,gatorede powder in old 35 mm film cans.Tin cup,spare sox ,goggles,gloves.Ride the U.P. so dont need probes or beacon.

T

Twisted Boost

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Apple Capitol, Wa
Insurance. Like Chris Rock says "in case $hit happens." Hey Twisted Boost I might know those guys your talking about. I'll see ya this winter and buy ya a cold one from one of their sleds. God know's they have a spare, or 8. LOL

boxboy

BB you know so there rule of thumb is to the parking lot with no less than 24:eek: We will have some fun with them:D See you this winter:cool:

K

Koby

Nov 26, 2007
Saddle Hills
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had some of the basics, but was really not as prepared as I thought I was, after reading thru this thread. Fixed that. Valhalla Pure Outfitters is an excellent source for alot of this stuff.

Thanks Guys

Koby

One thing I didn't see mentioned.

I have one of those "crank-up" LED flashlights with built in radio.....never have to worry about batteries. And it also has an adapter that can be used to charge your cell phone, but I fixed it so it will also power my GPS if needed.

And.......more people need to carry TP. I get tired of dishing mine out for somebody's glasses, then I have none left when I am really needing it for it's intented purpose!

I have......
extra gloves
extra googles
flint/matches
space blanket
couple zip-locks
garbage bag
first aid kit
granola bars, nutri-grain bars, etc...
flashlight/headlamp
tools in sled
leatherman
2 knives
and of course, trusty old Para-ordinance P16 40 S&W with 2 clips, heavy, but worth it!

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
I don't believe anyone mentioned a TARP.

AB_Summit spent the night out on the side of a steep slope with a broken leg. He said that if he didn't have his small tarp to protect himself from the elements, he would have been a goner.

I got mine from a camping store, it is the size of a magazine folded up. it has eylets, and foil on one side, red on the other. 5' x 7'

N
Nov 27, 2007
Kapowsin, WA
Pretty much the same as everybody else but... A warm hat is a must. If you're in trouble it's hard to hear with your skid lid on & you don't want to loose body heat. A whistle should be in your pocket, much better than yelling. A multi-tool is another must. Most of the stuff listed isn't needed if your close to the truck and riding a main/heavy traveled trail. However, we will go 20-30 miles from the parking lot and not see people for long periods. One more item I through in the tunnel bag is a tie down strap from the trailer. You can use it to tow or if somebody breaks an A-arm or something it can hold together a damaged sled to get back to the trucks. Sometimes a few extra gallons of gas needs to go along.

Of course the most important item is the killer breakfast burritos my wife makes for the hotpots.

G
in The Pack

2 Liters Water
3 Road Flares
Shovel
Probe
Food For The Day Plus A Few Extra Energy Bars For ER.
Hand Warmers
Beinie
Socks
Space Blanket
Head Lamp
Small First Aid Kit

in/on The Sled

2 Road Flares
Dry Gloves
Extra Googles
Wire
Rope
Chute Chord
Sno Bungee
Plugs
Tools
sled jack "got jack?"

in My Coat/under My Coat
Gps Rino/530
Beacon
Xd 40sw, much louder Than A Stinking Whistle, And Can Be Used To Fend Off Wildlife And Is Just A Bit More Effective Than tossing Your Brain Bucket @ Them
Insur Card
Sled Registration
Ccw Permit

N
Nov 27, 2007
Kapowsin, WA
Gunni - The Xd is definately a great choice but hear me out on this. First off let me say that I am a firm believer that most of life's problems can be solved if you apply the propper amount of gunpowder. However, for signaling, firearms are not that good of a choice. Three of us were out riding. One sled got stuck. I was helping with that sled and the third got stuck over the ridge only about 200 yards away. He emptied his mag and we never even heard one shot (low clouds with a slight wind going away). Ammo is limited but most sledders I know have a limitless supply of hot air for a whistle. But I have to be honest, I'd rather get a new Xd for Christmas than a new whistle:rolleyes:

C
Nov 26, 2007
Dexter, Or
This is a great thread. Alot of good info for a guy just getting into the sport. This info might just be thing that gets someone out of the woods under there owen power and not in a bag. Thanks

A

AkSummit

Nov 28, 2007
ALASKA
----

Probe
Shovel
Tow strap
beacon (wear)
X-goggles
X-socks
flash light
1ST Aid Kit
X-Fire starting sticks
Tin Can
Hand warmers
1 package of cold/flu meds + vitamins
2 way radios
MRE's
Survival Kit with flares, heat blanket, wistle, compase,ect
X-waterproof matches
Protein bars
flask
camera
zip ties
leatherman
X-Gloves
X-aa batteries
Toliet Paper
Beanie

Then whatever crap I buy at the store on the way to go ride ;)

All my buddies talk crap but you never know how bad you need it until your in that situation. I just like the feeling of being prepared.

Last edited:
Y

yardfarmer

Jul 30, 2004
Sw Iowa
Went thru mine last night, I have some things in it that I may not need. But I have a hard time taking stuff out (thinking I might just might need it). The only other thing I have that might not have been mentioned is

first aid kit
latex gloves
Hunter Orange Beaning
small backcountry first aid hand book (I use to be an EMT but if I am hurt, my buddies or I could read and apply)
Bright yellow poncho

Its heavier than I want it to be!

C
Nov 29, 2007
Minnesota/Wisconsin
In my pack:
-a nalgene bottle survival kit which contains three sources of fire, some firt aid supplies, signal mirror, whistle, space blanket, a granola bar, a small knife, compass and some lint (to start a fire).
-some extra dry layers and socks incase I get wet
-cell phone
-wallet
-GPS
-lunch
-water
-shovel
-drive belt
-tow strap
-duct tape (duh)

V
Nov 27, 2007
denver area
For the tarp, I pack an emergency blanket. I also pack an emergency bivy (sp?) sac for me. I've been told to be careful of condensation on these, though. Experts may have better advice.

The emergency hand book is good because it gives you something to read if you are stranded instead of just sitting around thinking how cold you are.

Premium Features