• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What's In your pack

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Headlamp
gloves
goggles and spare lenses
Shovel and saw
matches or lighter
compass
1st aid
spare jets
snack bars
propel
multi-tool
batteries
gps (if I go somewhere that I don't know like the back of my hand)
radio
cell-phone
dry socks

Its heavy, but better safe than sorry!

B
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City, SD
In addition to most of the things mentioned above I keep a tin cup in the pack. If i do have to spend a night I will be able to heat some water up over the fire (started with a tampon of course) and have something warm to drink.

G

GADGETMONKEY

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 27, 2007
GRANITE FALLS
I love the tampon you had me going, I'm thinking for plugging a leak or for stopping the bleeding from some horrific accident but no give it to the whiner....BRILLIANT!!
A few things I carry anytime I'm in the woods is two space blanket you can make a decent shelter with two duct tape 3 different fire starters and the holy grail also known as mountain money sealed in a ziplock bag can't leave home without the TP I hate having to use a shirt pocket.:eek:

G

GADGETMONKEY

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 27, 2007
GRANITE FALLS
At G.I. joe's sporting goods they have these cool little survivor kits loaded into a water bottle. it;s a great start to any "get me back pack"

A

Abominable

Dec 30, 2003
Evel Knievel jump site, ID
snowest.com
Great info guys, I already carry most of the stuff but there are some good ideas I am going to add. One thing I haven't seen yet that I carry in mine is a goggles strap. Once my quickstrap attachment came off my helmet and no amount of duct tape would make it stay so I reattached the goggle strap and finished out the day without snow in my eyes. Of course you NMFH wearers can disregard that.

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
Spare Socks
Spare Gloves
First Aid Kit
Shovel
Probe
Folding Saw
50' Rope
Space Blanket
Bright Orange Poncho
Two way radio
Extra Batteries
Flash light
Water Matches
Flares
Metal pan (Melting Snow)
Noodle soup packets
Hot Cocoa
Beanie
Bailing Tyine
Tampoons
Water
Lunch
I am sure I am missing somethings but this is most of it.

Total Weight 45#'s Heavy yes but can take it off and loose 45 pounds when needed.

O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I carry most of the basics that everyone else has mentioned, but I also have a couple of light sticks - the kind that you crack to light. You can use your muff pot/hotdogger as your metal container for melting snow.

In addition to my Rhino 120, which is mounted to my sled, I also carry a spare radio in my backpack....just in case.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Kettle Falls WA
I'm all about dual use, multi purpose items. These items are in my pack:

1) Aluminum shovel (serves as a pot to melt snow, etc)
2) Probe (also serves as tent poles, splints, many many survival uses)
3) non-folding saw (more durable, same weight)
4) 10-15 foot extreme duct tape (taped around my shovel handle, prevents it from slipping out the pack, can be easly unwound off the handle for other uses)
5) flint/magnesium combo bar (start fire no matter temp)
6) butane lighter (easier than flint, won't work in extreme cold but if you wear it inside your jacket it'll warm enough to use)
7) 2 nine hour survival candles
8) flare gun with high altitude flares (weight is very little)
9) space blanket (two small foil ones, would like to upgrade to real ones)
10) hand warmers, big 18 hour ones
11) gloves in ziplock baggie w air sucked out
12) 100 feet of 550 paracord (better than regular rope for survival applications)
13) plastic survival whistle
14) gerber multi tool
15) small bottle of anti fog wrapped in shop towels (towels great for crappin in the woods, bleeding wounds etc and soft enuff to wipe goggles)
16) L.E.D headlamp with long life digitial batteries
Don't see any reason to carry a tampon, I can use other things to dip in my tank. A maxi pad would work better for first aid applications.

you could also carry cotton balls soaked in antiseptic vasoline (bag balm). Good for chapped lips, first aid, and you could pull a peice of the cotton ball out like a candle wick and light it, burns like a candle for a long time.

there is other stuff too I forget about right now, this stuff doesn't weigh much though. Small lightweight stuff that compacts and serves dual functions is key to my setup. I stay away from heavy items that serve a single function.

In my jacket I carry some power bars, butane lighter, extra batteries.

On my person I carry beacon.

In my seat I carry a nice tow strap that BRP put out, says XP all over it :p but it looks like a nice one. Also carry tools, lunch, non essential gear that isn't important should it become lost.

Last edited:
C
Nov 26, 2007
Hailey, ID
extra contact lenses
high calorie snacks
multi-purpose tool with very sharp knife
Emergen-C and Rescue Remedy

plus all the aforementioned essentials...if I need to spend the night I can do so. I also evaluate and restock at the beginning of each season.

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
45 lbs do you keep that on your survival sled trailer?

Nope. But I use to ride with a guy that would pull a 3'x3' ski trailer that had tools and cluch springs, weights, helix, rivets, case gears, and any thing else he could think that he mite need. He would pull it up the trail behind his sled to the big race hills and sit there tinkering and tunning his sled all day long.

I only weigh 145lbs. It is nice to have that extra weight up high for carving a 500lbs sled. I should not have to tell you how much of a differance 45lbs make when you can loose it for a high mark. I have used every thing in my back pack at one time or another. Will not ride with out any of it.

Last edited:

alrevedup

Lifetime Membership
May 12, 2007
New Mexico
This is great stuff, and in some cases ......... alot of stuff!

Some of the things I never thought of:

tampons - multi use
bailing wire - rather than zip ties
siphon hose - for our 4 stroke turbos
headlamp- instead of flashlight
magnesium flint - better than my zippo

And I still think a Rino 530 (the battery on this thing lasts for two week 24/7).
OhYea, a flask FULL of Rumplemintz

Last edited:
S

Samurai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
CALGARY
Blow up Doll and a 40 of Goose................in case I have to spend the night out there

Premium Features