• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What Typically Breaks When Riding and What Parts and Tools Are Needed to Repair Them?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I am loading up the tool box (Powdermadd Box) on my snowbike.

Not being an avid dirt biker or snowbiker, I realized very quickly that I don't know what extra parts or tools to load into the box.

I have an extra shifter and wrench to change it out just in case it gets bent into a pretzel.

I am thinking a mini chain breaker and a master link might be a good idea?

Maybe the proper size wrenches to release chain tension to be able to reinstall the chain if it happens to fall off.

My ideas drop off very quickly from here.

What things break the most while riding and what parts and tools (including wrench sizes) should one have to be able to make repairs in the backcountry?

kevinhoglund

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Stanwood, Wa
Tools and parts

I carry all the tools to take 90% of the bike apart.
It only needs 4 wenches. KTM.

I would carry two extra chains with mater links & the tools to change them.
Tie wire, duck tape, tow rope.

When you work on your bike and kit keep track of what tools you use and have a extra set on the bike or in a tool box in the truck.

The saying is if you have the part to fix something it will never breakdown.:face-icon-small-coo

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
I carry a small metric socket set and a crescent wrench. A set of allen wrenches and what ^ he said.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
9/16 wrench and socket will do 90% of the TS kit components. combo end screwdriver covers all your little stuff like doing a chain. crescent wrench and vice grips are always on hand for me to cover what you forgot.

also, dirtbike is 8/10/12mm wrenches and sockets and and extension, your ready to rock pretty good!

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I may need a bigger tool box :face-icon-small-sho

Two extra chains... hum.. I will have to look and see what size and how many links mine is on a 2010 KTM 530XC-W.

T

torkd

Oct 9, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I may need a bigger tool box :face-icon-small-sho

Two extra chains... hum.. I will have to look and see what size and how many links mine is on a 2010 KTM 530XC-W.

I don't think the entire chains are necessary, that seems like a lot of weight. two or three master links is all a guy should need. Vice grips are my best friend summer and winter. I've busted many chains in the bush and all of them have been able to get me back out with an extra master link on hand.

S

supersmith

Dec 2, 2007
Always have the lightest guy carry the most tools and gas. That's the only way to even the playing field for us "big boned" fellas!

I leave a box in the truck with major repair parts/tools/fluids. That way when it really hits the fan, you can send someone back to the truck to get what you need instead of pack it around all year. I don't like to carry a bunch of stuff that will likely rust or get beat up from packing it with you.

I have a tow rope, spare master link, wire, duck tape, KTM tool kit, and the tools I used to install the kit.

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
I carry all kinds of tools needed to repair a bike or kit, just the standard stuff u need to work on the bike. but there are a couple of extra things I feel are a good idea.

A hose coupling and short piece of hose in case a hose or thermostat blows or cracks. and clamps

a small o ring chain sideplate install tool (sideplate press). On o ring chain the master link sideplate is pressed on, vise grips can work but the press is small and makes life easy.

Master links (2)

Extra short chain and a piece of chain the right length to make the long one out of the short one using two master links.

Nov 6, 2012
Get a few replacement bolts and nuts for the TS kit and a small bolt kit for your bike. This year I've broken a strut rod bolt and a bolt supporting the track driver. Without spares the bike would have been pretty much unrideable. Also carry some zip ties, safety wire, hose clamps, duct tape, and electrical tape. Amazing what you can Macgyver together with these items.

For tools, you don't need much. 6, 8, 10, 12mm (+13mm if you have a KTM), 9/16, 5/8 sockets or wrenches. If you have a buddy you ride with have one of you bring sockets and the other wrenches. It's real nice to have both. A few Allen keys (4, 5, 5.5, 6mm). The 5.5mm works on the TS chaincase cover. And some pliers.

Lastly, you don't need to bring it with you but perhaps the most used tool amongst my friends and I. A rock, preferably around 2lbs with a somewhat flat edge.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I also carry a spare chain tensioner gear, the crappy plastic one, we just changed one out in the mountains 2 weeks ago and it's not the first time one has blown up. It doesn't weigh much and it will save your a$$ at some point. I also carry a small set of vice grips which have proven handy in years gone by. The chain case cover allen key is actually a 7/32 but 5.5mm is really close, I also carry one of those.

M5

Last edited:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
You guys are so helpful. I am building my list.

I do have a question about this.

"Get a few replacement bolts and nuts for the TS kit and a small bolt kit for your bike. This year I've broken a strut rod bolt and a bolt supporting the track driver. Without spares the bike would have been pretty much unrideable".

What size, length and grade bolts are need for the ski bolt and strut rod bolts?

Should I order the bolts directly from Timbersled or buy them at a hardware store?

I suppose I need to order the plastic chain adjuster from Timbersled?

M
Jan 14, 2004
Virtually every bolt on the TS kit is a 3/8" grade 8 zinc plated or stainless, you can buy them anywhere that sells decent bolts. Buy a bunch of Nylocks as well then you wont need to pack Loctite or lock washers which IMO are a crappy way to secure a bolt.

M5

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Never had it leave me stranded. My only issues have been tuning related on not the kits fault.

Keep an eye on it in between rides and a guy should be fine.
-bearings only last so long
-make sure the master links look good
-blue loctite every bolt, and make sure none are walking out
-the back tunnel assy isn't very strong. As soon as it starts moving you're in trouble. The fuel can on there doesn't help anything that's for sure.
-i got a slider for the chain tensioner. Pretty slick vs that gear and brg.

Premium Features