• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What suspension mods (if any) for '08 XP

M
Dec 7, 2007
I've owned this sled for a few years, its the x package and mostly stock except for a HPS can and Polaris P85/team secondary.

I can ride this sled pretty much anywhere but would like it to do one thing better.

When sidehilling in firmer snow, letting off the gas seems to make the sled nosedive downhill. Also, initiating downhill turns in firm snow can take a bit of effort/commitment in firmer snow. I love the way the sled handles when its deep.

I'm planning on upgrading in 2-3 seasons, and am struggling with how much I should put into this sled to make it handle better.

The things that I've heard I can do:
  • Rear Suspension mod (Xtreme air vents longer center shock)
  • Relocate bracket for center shock (can I still use the stock shock or would I need a longer shock? Is this essentially the same as the above?
  • S36
  • T-Motion (would have to be combined with rear suspension mod?)

Which of these would make the biggest difference? Anything else I could do? OR.... Should I save the money and ride it as is and try to upgrade in 1-2 seasons?

Thanks ahead of time for any advice!

801_FuNk_801

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 6, 2008
Ogden, Ut
S-36, C3 post forward, Rear scissor relocate. The S-36 will give you a narrower front end and a upgrade on your front shocks. The C3 post forward will put you over the front of the sled more and eliminates the arc in your steering. The rear scissor relocate will get you on top of the snow better and help keep your skis planted, No longer shock needed.

A
Oct 31, 2011
Coeur d Alene Idaho
You need to do everything listed......First start with the front end. then do everything you just said to the rear. update the shock when doing the relocate brackets. It will be longer and help the geometry of the sled.

Always war

Lifetime Membership
Nov 9, 2012
Utah
I did the xtreme air vents rear suspension upgrade, and it did wonders for my 08. Also did the scissor relocate, but didn't like how much it made the a$$ end squat.

M
Dec 7, 2007
I did the xtreme air vents rear suspension upgrade, and it did wonders for my 08. Also did the scissor relocate, but didn't like how much it made the a$$ end squat.

Am kind of leaning toward this being the first thing I do... Did you do both shocks or just the longer center shock?

Thanks!

Always war

Lifetime Membership
Nov 9, 2012
Utah
Am kind of leaning toward this being the first thing I do... Did you do both shocks or just the longer center shock?

Thanks!

I only did the front shock. Sled layed on its side alot easier, and was easier to keep it there. I think doing both shock would be even better.

R

rhino

Nov 26, 2007
Greenwater WA
Looks like any stock shock 2010 or newer will work with the T-motion kit, right? Just need the relocate bracket.Thx

Last edited:
M
Dec 7, 2007
Keep in mind, the 2008-2009 center shock has a single shorter spring, whereas the 2010 center shock has two springs.

Xtreme Air Vents says you can reuse the stock spring... are you saying replacing that as well is necessary/makes a difference? If so can I get a P/N?

Thanks.

Y
Apr 22, 2008
Keep in mind, the 2008-2009 center shock has a single shorter spring, whereas the 2010 center shock has two springs.

I think you got that backwards! My 2008x have one short helper spring and one main. If I remember right the upgraded 2010 got just one spring.

J
Nov 29, 2012
Bellingham
I just installed a 10' rear suspension mod I put together myself . It was cheaper than the Xtreme AirVents kit.

-Toms CL bracket
-Fox Zero Pro center shock (14 3/8" ctc) + Fox Zero Pro rear track shock (17 1/4" ctc) new on Ebay. Much better than stock.
-10' Limiter Strap
-10' Center shock spring (still 2 spring setup, I reused the small spring from my 08')

Use http://www.skidoopartsnation.com/ to get the part numbers for the 10' limiter strap and spring. They were inexpensive.

T

T.O.T.

Dec 26, 2012
I just installed a 10' rear suspension mod I put together myself . It was cheaper than the Xtreme AirVents kit.

-Toms CL bracket
-Fox Zero Pro center shock (14 3/8" ctc) + Fox Zero Pro rear track shock (17 1/4" ctc) new on Ebay. Much better than stock.
-10' Limiter Strap
-10' Center shock spring (still 2 spring setup, I reused the small spring from my 08')

Use http://www.skidoopartsnation.com/ to get the part numbers for the 10' limiter strap and spring. They were inexpensive.

So why the 10' center shock spring. I have my relocation kit and shocks just haven't put them on yet. Do I need the 10' spring on an 08?

07SummitX800R

Dec 2, 2007
Stansbury Park, Utah
Xtreme Air Vents explains it best:

"The rear Center shock was lengthened and moved back 1" on the rail. This change makes the XP summit roll over and side hill MUCH easier. You will notice substantially less ski pressure and the ability to pull the sled over much easier. This upgrade helps transfer spring pressure from the front shock to the back shock to help the sled jump up on top of the snow much quicker. This also helps remove the "sag" in the rear end that many doo owners have complained about since the '08 came out. With the center (track) shock being longer, the front arm is forced up, which forces the back of the sled up through the pivot and transfer rods. Contrary to popular belief the longer front shock does not make the XP wheelie uncontrollably; in fact it does the opposite. Because the front track shock is now carrying some of the load under power, the rear does not collapse as easily."

J
Nov 29, 2012
Bellingham
So why the 10' center shock spring. I have my relocation kit and shocks just haven't put them on yet. Do I need the 10' spring on an 08?

The big spring on the 10' center shock has more coil's than the 08'. I believe it is slightly longer as well, I don't quite remember when I installed it. The small spring is the same on the 10' and 08'.

photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg

T

T.O.T.

Dec 26, 2012
The big spring on the 10' center shock has more coil's than the 08'. I believe it is slightly longer as well, I don't quite remember when I installed it. The small spring is the same on the 10' and 08'.

Thanks! So I need to order a longer spring then. No one had mentioned this when I talked to the guys as Tom's

Premium Features