• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

what sled would you buy used?

R
Apr 18, 2016
I rode the Doo this weekend, the thing worked perfect and I spent the better part of the day on it. I suck as expected, the snomobile was super fun in big bowls and I loved the power, I can't side hill it good and when ripping little gullies and stuff it throws me around like I am riding a quad, it kind of steers itself where it wants to go as much as I can. What a work out!!! Anyway I decided to think it over and rode my snobike the next day. My snobike was overheating a little which was annoying and I was wishing I had the HP of that snowmobile but man am I better at the snowbike and my ability to create lines in the snow and get creative with airs and lines is so much better. I was riding with a buddy on a sled so we were doing more bowl riding than I usually do on the bike, but we were still able to have a good time together even though I had heard the 2 don't hang out together. I think I was more fun to ride with on my bike than I was on the snowmobile.

Anyway between the mechanical problems I was having and my total and complete lack of snowmobile skills I decided not to get that sled or probably any sled. I am a motor head to the bone and as I get closer to retirement and stare around at all this stuff all I keep thinking is "dude your not Jay Leno, someone has to do the maintenance and that is you". between that thought path and just not being good on the sled I think I will just stick with the snobike and hopefully someone will make one with 200hp that weighs under 300lbs. I love the snomobile power and it was fun to hear that thing ripping, pull the skis off the ground and fly, but I can't make it go anywhere but straight....I suck.

I want to say thank you to everyone who commented on this topic, I wasn't trying to waste your time, I really thought I wanted one, but sometimes you just have to go with what you know.

Last edited:

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
before you give up try another brand!
the doo for me is just as you described and i have over 18years ridding. the cat and poo are a different ball of wax you just need to find the one that fits.

R
Apr 18, 2016
I will always throw a leg over anything anyone lets me throw a leg over and I am pretty good at instilling the confidence that I will not ruin a persons stuff, treat it with respect, and pay for anything that I break if for some reason something happens. It appears I might get a chance to ride a 2017 Axys 800 before this year is over. I realize this is more sled and more money than what I was originally considering. If I enjoy riding that a newer sled will be back on my list.

I have not given up, I am a motor head and I love the power of the sled and the sound gets me revved up like a 12 year looking at the bra section of a Sears catalog. If I found something that handled a little more dirtbike-ish with that big power....I'll pay whatever I need to come up with to get it.

A

AMAX

Dec 22, 2014
Almost everyone I know that comes from a background of dirt bikes and atvs has the same experience when starting on a sled. Watching a good rider makes it look like its similar to a dirt bike but when you get on it, it doesnt do anything you ask.

With some seat time, the confidence to throw your weight way over and get the sled to react starts to come. Then hitting its balance point and learning counter steer and throttle control starts to allow you to make it go where you want.

It was 70 degrees here in CO today. There should be some good deals popping up soon.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
That's basically what my buddy was saying is they have come a long way in the last few. I like the sound of a reliable motor.

You said you're big, so that automatically makes any sled handle better compared to small people.
IMO, Cat had the lock on best chassis until the Pro Rmk and Doo XM, for powder riding. Coincidentally Cats worst motor was also as good or better than the other 2 for reliability and the M7 and M8 are the most reliable, IMO.
Budget of 4K tops and best chassis/power/reliability is M8 or M1000 hands down. And M1000s are dirt cheap, partly for the weight and partly because they only last as long as the competitions 800s before needing rebuilt.
09-11 M sled , or a fixed/low mile Pro rmk would be my choice.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
You can get a 13-14 Pro for $5000 to $6000. We have had four of them. Only self inflicted problems. Trees and rocks seem to like them.

https://duluth.craigslist.org/snw/6009553204.html

How's that a deal? Especially end of the season.
yeah, it's a '14 Pro, but 2800 miles, unless it was just a trail sled, rode to church on Sunday, etc, is a lot of wear n tear.
I've got a '12 Pro with 1/4 the miles, like brand new, not a rock magnet. Did hang it in a tree once, but somehow not a scratch. Anyway, I'd be lucky to get $5500 for it, here where sleds are "more expensive."

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
How's that a deal? Especially end of the season.
yeah, it's a '14 Pro, but 2800 miles, unless it was just a trail sled, rode to church on Sunday, etc, is a lot of wear n tear.
I've got a '12 Pro with 1/4 the miles, like brand new, not a rock magnet. Did hang it in a tree once, but somehow not a scratch. Anyway, I'd be lucky to get $5500 for it, here where sleds are "more expensive."

Go through our craigslist ads, then look through ads in the Midwest and tell me our prices aren't inflated in the Northwest.

Its that way with everything here in the new California.

C

chevota84

Oct 5, 2008
I rode dirt bikes for a long time and then got into snowmobiling, I had a 2000 rmk, a king cat, an m7 and I just got a 14 proclimb. The proclimb is like a new world compared to the others, I haven't been on a sled in 5 or 6 years and I jumped on this and ride better than I ever have. I'm not going to tell you that cat is the best sled for you, it's just what I have and I love it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

R
Apr 18, 2016
Through a leg over a 2017 800 AXys Polaris last weekend and the thing was pretty fun and I was better on it, I then watched the owner go crazy on the thing and it looked really fun...then he flipped it and it looked like it was going to be expensive to fix. I'm not sure, our season is not that long, I wish my CR500 snowbike had about triple the power but I might just settle in and be happy. I have ridden a few times with snomobiles now. The guys who are really good I have a great time with because they want to play in the trees, the bike has zero problems there. I can tell when the sleds are ready to shoot something and I just bang a gear and start sidehilling, bank it back and end up in the same spot in near the same time. The guys who like to ride from bowl to bowl I have found a way to have fun with. On the way to the bowl I run in the trees next to the main trails, then when we get to the big bowl I find other ways to hit stuff like running sidehill to a lip and then fade it downhill...not as fun as in the trees for me but still fun. I think I have talked myself out of the need for a snomobile.

They look really fun when you are good on them, and I love the sound of their motors, but I think for now I am just going to settle in and be happy with what I have.

Premium Features