• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

what do you bring with you on your sled

S
Nov 30, 2011
After riding for over 40 plus years ( 1969 ) the wife and I both would never leave home without gear to spend the night in the snow, we never had to but we were prepared to do so............worked search and rescue for many years and did spend the night outside several times

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
Y would u have to stay out for 2 days?
Everywhere i ride, u can't get 10miles away from a trail.
Shouldn't take more than a few hrs to get to a trail?
I always ride with partners, we all have radios. We should be able to get at least one sled rideable and ride as many people as possible to the truck to get help or gas and parts to get the other people and sleds.

GS6

WOW ....You need to get out more. Some of us ride 20+ miles into the backcountry. In some places outside Wa. the snow is hip to chest deep(I sink 6 - 8" walking in my yard). Been in snow so deep you could not walk, you rolled over the snow to help a bud get unstuck. Best to be prepared for worst case scenario.

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
WOW ....You need to get out more. Some of us ride 20+ miles into the backcountry. In some places outside Wa. the snow is hip to chest deep(I sink 6 - 8" walking in my yard). Been in snow so deep you could not walk, you rolled over the snow to help a bud get unstuck. Best to be prepared for worst case scenario.
If i was 10miles from a trail, i would be in wilderness, i don't ride in the wilderness, it's illegal.
I guess i am lucky enough that we have hundreds of miles of trails in the mountains. It's actually hard to get more than a couple miles away from any trail in any direction before ur crossing another trail. If trails are 3 miles apart, the furthest u can be from a trail is half that distance or 1.5 miles! So... if you are 20 miles from a trail, that means ur trails are no less than 40miles apart from each other, that is hard to believe?

Another great feature we have here, the whole family can ride, the trail riders can stay on the trail and meet with the off trail riders every few miles up the trail or at the top of the mountain.
I bet we have another feature u don't have , restrooms, yup we even have one just a mile or two from the top of the mountain. Don't forget about the warming huts every 5-10 miles.

So sir, i believe i am lucky enough that i do not have to ride 20miles in to the backcountry to get to good snow. I can put 50-100 miles on my sled on any given day and never be more than 15 miles away from my truck. To me,That doesn't sound like i need to get out more, that sounds like i live in a great place. Did i mention that my drive is only 30miles from my house to where i unload and traffic is not a concern.

This is not Colorado or Utah but i see plenty of snow that is nut deep and more. The 6-8in statement was referring to how much we sank on the packed trail which is alot for a trail.

Yeah i have snow at my house too and i have some acerage, kids and grand kids can spend hrs riding the sleds on my property.

GS6

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
So... if you are 20 miles from a trail, that means ur trails are no less than 40miles apart from each other, that is hard to believe?

GS6

What trails.....theres not a groomed trail with in 60 miles from were I ride. Truly not trying to be a dick but too some the area you ride in sounds like driving through the city. If you have fun there great. I myself like it as remote as I can get. No other tracks but mine, but you better be prepared to stay out multiple nights.

N
Jan 1, 2012
Eastern Oregon
One thing I carry in every vehicle I have are these as well....you'd be surprised how handy they are. They're cheap, smallish, easy to use, and against a winter landscape, easy to see. ESPECIALLY if S&R gets to a point that they've got a bird in the air, it'd be an almost foolproof way to get them to see you. Better than a signal mirror IMO in tight trees where you can't get the angle of the sun to hit the chopper.

http://www.ansgear.com/Enola_Gaye_EG18X_Military_Smoke_Grenade_Red_p/enolasmokegrenadeeg18xred.htm

Edit: A video of the above in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtKjmTTjlv0

Last edited:

Team Pigeon

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2006
Pass Creek, BC.
c1fb2345f32e7d7b906412b799af54e5.jpg
2ba598e474baa15e050d4360d9eba63e.jpg
5f42c3d55988b61cf9d4f7bc409cdb18.jpg

That's all packed on my sled. Powder keg is by far the best trunk out there.
I store the red pouch under the seat. Nice spot of foam you can carve out under there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
Next time you have some repair work to do on your sled try to do it with the tools you normally pack with you. I do this with my sleds and mx bikes. You'll be surprised what simple tools you may want to add to your tool kit, getting towed out because of a missing simple tool sucks.

Last edited:
Premium Features