• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What’s Next?

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Carls 900 only adds 2g weight according to burandt post a while ago, 2g added = 10hp. Not much hp for the money.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Carls is silly though. They have zero support. Where do you go when you need pistons in a few years? I know 2 buddies who have big bore sleds parked in a shed with no pistons.
That sucks. I assume they called carls? Suprising they cant get the pistons

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

C
Dec 14, 2020
That sucks. I assume they called carls? Suprising they cant get the pistons

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

They're older. Carls only supports stuff until they run out of parts and then done.

There have been group buys here to get wiseco to make runs of pistons. Problem is nobody really wants to spend the $ to get 12+ sets ran through and then deal with reselling a bunch of them.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
I’m pretty sure Carl’s uses Polaris pistons from a different Polaris motor I’ve been told it’s all Polaris parts.
I have one the real value is waking up the sluggish 850 bottom end It makes the bottom end and mid range just like the old 800 while adding a little more power to the stock 850 on top.
Sled is much better for back country riding in technical terrain then a turbo. You can really see the difference when you ride them back to back.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I’m pretty sure Carl’s uses Polaris pistons from a different Polaris motor I’ve been told it’s all Polaris parts.
I have one the real value is waking up the sluggish 850 bottom end It makes the bottom end and mid range just like the old 800 while adding a little more power to the stock 850 on top.
Sled is much better for back country riding in technical terrain then a turbo. You can really see the difference when you ride them back to back.
Off topic. What do you run for a fuel controller and exhaust with the 900 kit?

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
It's disappointing to hear that Carl's doesn't stock pistons once they sell out. Cutting off the oddballs and/or poor sellers is understandable, but for the rest, the inventory will sell eventually, and at a pretty good markup. Even if it's not a money maker, the goodwill gesture would help future sales. For the more in-demand pistons, there could be an opportunity for someone willing to front the cost of a few runs of pistons.

A big bore has some advantages over a turbo, but it's pretty clear there are durability/longevity concerns keeping us from seeing any big jump in displacement from the OEs. They could build significantly bigger, but NVH and durability issues far outweigh the sales potential. Just consider that everyone had an 800 twin around five years after the mountain segment took off, but it took around fifteen years to come up with something bigger (and marginally so: +40/50cc) that was much good. I'm guessing we'll see tweaks to the 850s in the coming years and eventually another modest bump in displacement whenever the all-new Patriot replacement comes out.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
Off topic. What do you run for a fuel controller and exhaust with the 900 kit?
Exhaust pipe is stock, diamond s titanium can, I don’t believe they run a fuel controller unless they’re reflashing the stock computer I didn’t get a controller with mine like I did with the stage 4 800 but double check on that.
Anyone that wants the 900 do yourself a favor and let Indy dan do the clutching with his heavy clutch cover it’s amazing trust me. In my opinion these lightweight covers are one of the biggest performance hoaxes that have came along in a long time.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
How many seasons or miles on the 900? I really want to try one but ive had some bad big bore experiences. I've talked to burandt about this and he said the Carl's o00 is different. That is the win of the turbo. Factory parts. There is just something about naturally aspirated that is more fun in certain conditions. When snow is really deep, there is no replacement for a turbo.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
It can be done by the OEMs but won't be. Cat's M1000 was a tough, durable, proven stock monster with a goofy airbox. Couldn't meet EPA - which is likely reason 1-b that OEMs won't go down that path again. Blows up the fleet average. The doo 1000sdi was an oddball.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Getting closer to march i would think there would be some more buzz about whats coming from Polaris. Hell ski doo is selling 2022 already.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
It can be done by the OEMs but won't be. Cat's M1000 was a tough, durable, proven stock monster with a goofy airbox. Couldn't meet EPA - which is likely reason 1-b that OEMs won't go down that path again. Blows up the fleet average. The doo 1000sdi was an oddball.
Weren’t we just hearing the exact same thing about factory turbos a couple years ago? If the oems think there is a market for it they will find a a way to do it regardless of what it is.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Cat 1000 was a joke imo. Beat a few in my day. Had a doo 1000. Biggest pos i ever owned. 8 pounds lighter than a apex. Just as well have a boosted 4 if you want something that nose heavy. At least they're reliable. That ship has sailed.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
1040cc 195HP (at sea level)
1240cc 225 HP (at sea level)

factory produced, twin cylinder NA engines based on 840 design. Not aftermarket big bores.

Same price to manufacture as 840cc.
Same amount of moving parts.
Easily serviced by anyone.
No major chassis redesign needed.
Quiet exhaust.
Easily add turbo in aftermarket for high elevation.

Why copy skidoo? Pretty soon we’ll just have one MFGR with expensive broken parts to replace.

then no MFGRs due to climate change regulation lock downs...

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
PSI, Union Bay, Cutlers, Hot Seat, Hooper all made big displacement 900cc + NA 200 hp engines 20 years ago..

The engine power was way ahead of the chassis design though. Scary to ride that stuff back then.

Last edited:
Premium Features