• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Viper MTX Weight Loss???

Keith517

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Looking into a new project. Have not done a Yamaha since the Apex. What kind of weight can be lost on a Viper MTX?

Been looking but can't find any numbers, does anyone know the dry weight of a Viper MTX? Somebody has to have weighted one.

Thanks!

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
There are lots of threads going around.. here and on totallyamaha.

Couple easy ones are a headlight delete/light weight hood.. good for 10-14 lbs. And a lithium battery, good for 10 lbs.

Depending if you go with a turbo or leave it N/A.. you could put a header and muffler on it, save another 10-15 lbs.

The most important part is that you don't eat a lot of :pizza: this summer, because you need to be in good shape to throw these things around all day. :face-icon-small-ton

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I went nuts on my old Nytro on the weight loss, but after replacing the pathetic front skid shock spring on the Viper the sled tosses around so easy I have not bothered with weight loss. Then later I went turbo and I am going to get flamed for this but I really cant feel the extra weight (maybe skis in the air most of the time negates heavy feel?)

T
Looking into a new , does anyone know the dry weight of a Viper MTX? Somebody has to have weighted one.

Thanks!

I stole these pics from another forum Basically A stock Viper weighs 614 completely stock and full of fuel and a Viper with MPI Turbo with light muffler weighs 624 full of fuel

Photo Credit goes to HyFLYR and 907Pow on BCR

2015 completely stock
0D652582-3C64-43A8-A6B3-CFCD7FA49E80_zpsnncckrch.jpg

2015 with MPI Turbo
6FB6EFF4-98D9-4F9D-A956-1181E65B5CE5_zpstybmbqeg.jpg

2016 MPI Turbo missing 3gal of fuel
attachment_zps9eh7rrab.jpg

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
No one is going to believe this.. but I'm down to about 417 dry.. Last year I added a POS MCX turbo kit which took a lot of time to tunew in safely I might add... I added ice age bomber rails... then this year I bought a 2016 Polaris SKS. I think the weight savings are gonna make me a very happy rider this year. I can't wait to try it out. Hopefully I don't over ride it too badly.

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
Stingray, I'm giving up on trying to convince people. Weight is important but grossly overrated. One story of many: Last season I was riding with a group of sledders and three of them just got into the sport. They were on 3 proclimbs. After riding for about 4 hours we all were eating lunch and they couldn't believe what I could do on my heavy sled and how easy I rode it. The first question they ask me was how much does my sled weigh. I told them 800 lbs and that I'm looking to add 50 more. I don't understand why I can ride a heavy sled just as easy as a light one. I'm also not worn out at the end of the day like people say you will be. They didn't ask me any question on how to ride. Their minds could only focus on the weight of my sled so I got on their's and gave them a little lesson on riding. Your front spring suggestion work great. I'm looking for a great season this year. Hope, the snow falls soon.

I went nuts on my old Nytro on the weight loss, but after replacing the pathetic front skid shock spring on the Viper the sled tosses around so easy I have not bothered with weight loss. Then later I went turbo and I am going to get flamed for this but I really cant feel the extra weight (maybe skis in the air most of the time negates heavy feel?)

Last edited:
C
Nov 29, 2008
Stingray, I'm giving up on trying to convince people. Weight is important but grossly overrated. One story of many: Last season I was riding with a group of sledders and three of them just got into the sport. They were on 3 proclimbs. After riding for about 4 hours we all were eating lunch and they couldn't believe what I could do on my heavy sled and how easy I rode it. The first question they ask me was how much does my sled weigh. I told them 800 lbs and that I'm looking to add 50 more. I don't understand why I can ride a heavy sled just as easy as a light one. I'm also not worn out at the end of the day like people say you will be. They didn't ask me any question on how to ride. Their minds could only focus on the weight of my sled so I got on their's and gave them a little lesson on riding. Your front spring suggestion work great. I'm looking for a great season this year. Hope, the snow falls soon.

Would love to know what your "on"!

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
So let me get this straight... Weight is overrated? So what is important??.. I realize you're the best rider in the world but what can a mortal such as myself do to handle a fat assed Yamaha as easily as you. I was beat to a snot at the end of a day on mine..

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
So let me get this straight... Weight is overrated? So what is important??.. I realize you're the best rider in the world but what can a mortal such as myself do to handle a fat assed Yamaha as easily as you. I was beat to a snot at the end of a day on mine..

You were told how to make it float by changing the front skid shock spring and putting non aggressive skis on. If you didn't do that not my fault. My girlfriend rides a Viper also and can ride all day as I can, Not sure what you did wrong but our Vipers are a joy to ride.

Happy to see you moved on to another brand though as the bashing was getting old.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
You were told how to make it float by changing the front skid shock spring and putting non aggressive skis on. If you didn't do that not my fault. My girlfriend rides a Viper also and can ride all day as I can, Not sure what you did wrong but our Vipers are a joy to ride.

Happy to see you moved on to another brand though as the bashing was getting old.

I did all of that bud.. it made little difference. I haven't really moved on either because I'm stuck with two heavy Vipers that no body wants. I will probably be forced to trade them in for bottom dollar.

I'd love to see what type of riding you are into. As I'm sure if you were to try and follow me you'd need a few breaks along the way.

I'm not trying to bash, I just give my honest opinion about my sleds. Not my problem if you can't handle it. It can't only be me that feels this way, why else would the 4 stroke mountain sled be the worst selling off them all??

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Although my Viper is far from stock, I have to agree with Motorbreath, they are heavy. Better than the Apex and Nytro by miles, but still wear on you through the day more than a 2 stroke. Well setup suspension is key to these machines, as well as boost, and drop a few pounds in the good department and they're a pretty good sled. Fat chicks need loving too.

Now, back on topic. The hood on the vipers is HEAVY. Headlight deletes get you maybe 2 pounds. Most of the weight comes from the gauge cluster. Rear suspension is another place to start with some weight loss. The new conquer 280 is for a good 10 pound loss as well (compared to the 3" pc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
I'd love to see what type of riding you are into. As I'm sure if you were to try and follow me you'd need a few breaks along the way.[/QUOTE]

You told me that I was the world greatest snowmachiner.

K
May 9, 2013
This topic really gets old fast. But i really like our Vipers we defiantly had to spend a lot of time fine tuning the suspension. The factory shocks are pretty weak. Also we did the Barcode 365 front end kit. Damn made the sled a dream to ride.

Premium Features