• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Very scary moment today, no tether!

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
T

Tenner

Nov 1, 2012
I have a friend who a few years ago lost his arm at his elbow for not having a tether. He was on a TM8 and the sled hit a soft spot after he caught some air coming out of a chute. Sled flipped over and he got caught up in the track while it was upside down wide open. Shredded all muscle and skin off his arm. He now wears a prosthetic while riding. Better believe he has tethers on that sled and his turbo pro.

S
Sep 22, 2005
Pocatello, Id
I have some friends i ride with on occasion, after Shawn lost his arm on top of the chute they bought tethers and put them on all of their machines. We were in the trailer getting dressed and i asked if everyone had their beacons on and were they working. The same guys who just added teathers (who also ride new machines), said we don't wear beacons because we don't ride in avalanche areas. I asked them why they added teathers to their sleds, they said they did it because Shawn lost his arm in his track when his sled did not shut off. So I then asked them, who has to die in an avalanche that you know before you buy a beacon. The next time we rode they all had beacons. I am still amazed at the number of people who ride sleds with teathers but do not wear themn, not to mention the number of people that do not wear beacons or even carry shovels and probes.

Last edited:

smwizzz

Lifetime Membership
May 6, 2008
Ft McMurray, AB
Yup!!

I used a pingle tether on my last 3 sleds without any problems. Some have said that they seen them freeze up but it hasn't happened to me yet.

I have had pingle freeze. The answer is to install the pull switch upside down or graded down so water doesn't run in the shaft. I also have a small bottle of lock de-icer which I used to carry when I ran a dual throttle which can also get water in the cable and freeze. A drop of lock de-icer gets rid of lots of sticky switches and can be used as a fire starter if it is an emergency and you no longer have a sled and fuel to light.

T
Dec 2, 2007
Coeur d' Alene ID
Started having friends daughter make rubberband bracelets. I had got one attached it to my tether slips easily over my wrist w glove on, strong and stretchy even in the coldest of weather. Easier than trying to snap it to my jacket, does not I interfere w hands while riding. Bottom line. Wearing it made simple !

image.jpg

Powderhound

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho
I have some friends i ride with on occasion, after Shawn lost his arm on top of the chute they bought tethers and put them on all of their machines. We were in the trailer getting dressed and i asked if everyone had their beacons on and were they working. The same guys who just added teathers (who also ride new machines), said we don't wear beacons because we don't ride in avalanche areas. I asked them why they added teathers to their sleds, they said they did it because Shawn lost his arm in his track when his sled did not shut off. So I then asked them, who has to die in an avalanche that you know before you buy a beacon. The next time we rode they all had beacons. I am still amazed at the number of people who ride sleds with teathers but do not wear themn, not to mention the number of people that do not wear beacons or even carry shovels and probes.

Lets clarify ...that there is only one numbnut who doesn't wear beacons ( and his Kids ) and we know who that is. I was there that day with Shawn and all of us except for the above mentioned ride with avy packs, shovels and beacons and have attended avy classes. Sometimes you can't fix stupid. On a side note I have not ridden with the above gentleman since the accident with Shawn. Not worth the risk to me or my friends.

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
Well, I retract my endorsement of Pro Armor tethers. Mine froze 2 weeks ago in a snow storm and I was not happy. I'm going to take it apart and see if I can improve on the design perhaps with a stronger spring, perhaps drilling out the holes that the wires run thru one size larger and then lubing them with silicon lubricant. I want a 100% reliable tether and not one that can freeze up. :-( I'll let everyone know what I discover. Worst case, my pro-armor's will be installed on my ATVs and I'll try something else on my sleds.

White brother's sells a tether that is identical and cheaper than a Pro Armor tether. I got mine for same price on Ebay 14.95 plus 6 bucks shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Broth...ors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58ada76145

Have installed 4 Pro Armor tethers this year (2 old sleds we just sold and 2 new sleds we purchased this year) and never had an issue with them.

Premium Features