• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PSA: Looks like I've been disconnecting from my tether the wrong way this whole time!

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
Factory sled tether, when I bought it I put on a decent carabiner on its end to hook into my jackets D-ring. When I need to get off sled, I would disconnect carabiner from jacket and walk away. When helmet was on, it was sometime difficult to snap back onto jacket because limited visibility when looking down, just did it mostly by "feel".

Then, was watching a YouTube video and noticed the instructor and student were walking around with their tether hanging from their jacket. BIG LIGHT COMES ON! Of course, much easier to just leave that D-Ring alone and snap the other end of tether back into the SLED! Which you can see with helmet on.

Only took me the third season with a tether to figure out. ?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
You can wear a tether out by snapping it on and off the sled over and over. This is why some guys don't want to do it that way. Then again there are some guys that are lazy and don't want to play with the tether at all and they install a Phantom Teth-Air. It has roll over shutdown too which gets tested more than for the run-away sled scenario.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Another dude on you tube loops the end and wears as braclet . So use stock clip clip to self in loop place on your brake wrist. Works great super easy and no searching for clip on suit or jacket or whatever lol

C
Nov 29, 2008
I loop my tether back on its self and put around my wrist. Done it this way for over 30 yrs. never an issue and is easy to slide over your gloves
Yup ... biggest advantage is that it's in my hand when knocked over so you don't have to fumble to find it when you need to shut machine off in a hurry....when attached to your suit in some cases it can be hard to find

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Not a fan of the wear your tether method. Like mentioned, they do wear out or get gunk in them.
Seen a couple fail to reconnect and need bypassed on the hill.
Or there’s the guy that dangles his on the exhaust or closes it in his plastics and walks away.

TurboSportTSi

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2022
Lewistown, MT
I've tried this a few times and have had my sled try to cut out sometimes when the tether gets snow in it, which compacts when I reattach it - it doesn't seat all the way.

I wonder if the magnetic ones ice up... Dura-tether or whatever it's called.

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
Well damn, here I was thinking I had this figured out. Don't like the idea of it wearing out early and giving me issues later. Might have to try this tether around wrist thing, seems not right to me, like something could go wrong and hand slips out without killing motor.

Also wanted to clarify- it wasn't YouTube but on a thread here where I saw it. It was Burandt himself and dude with handlebar mustache who had tethers hanging off their jackets.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Can just un clip from jacket /suit too easy enough. I can say the wrist thing works and I’ve crashed a lot and pulled just like the other. I put it on and give it a quick cinch and it’s on. It ms like a lasso and gets tighter as you fling off lol.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I didn't know if it would be an issue or not so I printed a new tether end and installed a magnet in it. Resides in my dash for the one time it may be needed.

Attachments

• Tether.JPG
    Tether.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 16

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I am going to try a small dog collar strapped to my wrist.

These are very strong and have a D-ring.

Should be easy to connect and disconnect tether from wrist.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
our group puts a caribiner on our jacket and a caribiner on the tether so there is a larger attachment point on our jacket that you can feel better with gloves on.

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
Well damn, here I was thinking I had this figured out. Don't like the idea of it wearing out early and giving me issues later. Might have to try this tether around wrist thing, seems not right to me, like something could go wrong and hand slips out without killing motor.

Also wanted to clarify- it wasn't YouTube but on a thread here where I saw it. It was Burandt himself and dude with handlebar mustache who had tethers hanging off their jackets.
Give it a try around your wrist. I think you will find that it has very low probably of coming off. It tightens as it pulls. Works great.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
our group puts a caribiner on our jacket and a caribiner on the tether so there is a larger attachment point on our jacket that you can feel better with gloves on.
Pics please

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
About 20 years ago I was playing with different ideas. One I didn't take to completion was 2 strong permanent magnets that had 1/2 of a tether cord on each. Just bringing them close together they would connect automatically. They were strong enough that the tether switch would pull before the magnets would pull apart but when I wanted them apart I could just pull on each cord. It worked well only sucked when i got close to my truck door and that was why I abandoned the idea. Might work to have a super strong permanent magnet on the cuff of the jacket as you would have more control on what it got close to.

Premium Features