• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Understanding Skidoo XP/X Models - Help a guy get starte

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Also, Viper - Since you're from this region, what do you think of my gear selection? Proper for riding down to 0 degrees?

Klim Black Glacier Balaclava
In-Stock $59.99
https://www.denniskirk.com/black-glacier-balaclava.p3429652.prd/3429652.sku

FXR Racing Leather Mitts
In-Stock $82.49
https://www.denniskirk.com/leather-mitts.p3570397.prd/3570397L.sku

FXR Racing Black/Green Backshift Pro Jacket
In-Stock $239.99
https://www.denniskirk.com/black-green-backshift-pro-jacket.p3422337.prd/3422337L.sku

Spy Optic Black Whip SnowX Goggle w/Persimmon Dual Lens -
In-Stock $38.97
https://www.denniskirk.com/black-whip-snowx-goggle-w-persimmon-dual-lens.p376182.prd/376182.sku

FXR Racing Black Special Elevation Waist Pants
In-Stock $209.99
https://www.denniskirk.com/black-special-elevation-waist-pants.p3422330.prd/3422330LT.sku

HMK Black Team Boa Boots - HM915TBOAB
$322.99
https://www.denniskirk.com/black-team-boa-boots.p3416368.prd/341636815.sku

Sled models aside, youre kinda backwards on gear IMO. First, no need to spend that kind of $ on a budget.
Get a cheap baklava for the cold days. Not bulky or it wont fit under a proper fitting mx helmet. Ride down to -25 with a thin baklava.
Ditch the FXR gear especially if it's insulated. Get waterproof shells top n bottom and then layer up with whatever. Fleece, wool, long johns, a hoody. Overstock snowboard gear is your best bet on a budget like from The House online. Unless you can find the same deals on last year's sled gear. I got a pair of MF pants for $150 a colors ago at a dealer.
Don't need $300+ snowmobile boots. Snowboard boots for economical ankle support or Pac boots, insulated hunting boots, etc with wool socks.
I wear eithr my snowboard boots or Rockys hunting boots.
As far as the sled goes, it's your first sled, so any good running 800 will impress. Search more for low miles and well maintained over etec or X pkg etc.

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
Most of the 09 summits here in wa. are selling for around 6000.00 if there at a dealer they want 7500.00, so go from there?

S
Oct 17, 2010
arvada colorado
new to snowmobile

Buy the cheapest sled w most mods and then use all the clothing that u already have. I'm fairly new at riding and just started last year riding other sleds. For the first two years I had no clue the ddifferences between sleds or what my sled needed or where it sucked.(09 nytro) and it sucks horribly.just picked up an 08 xp for 3700 and I'm gonna ride it like I stole it until I plow it into a tree or rock.my friends tell me new sled will kick *** compared to my old so it's all a matter of perspective and if you have never ridden before then there is no perspective.Buy it ride it crashes it repeat .oh don't forget insuring it ,that ensures you ride next year . Have fun whatever you buy. SG

N
Nov 3, 2008
Mass
i would buy a bunch of cheapy clothing, leftover stuff from last year at a snowmobile show you can get VERY cheap.

instead of spending that much on gear, try to spedna little more on a sled and look for a 2011 800etec summit. That engine is far superior to the carbed 800r powertek engine. uses less fuel, less oil, and destroys less engine parts

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
I would skip the 2010-12s.either get cheap lightweight 09 or go 13 xm.it would suck to spend 5 or 6 and maybe get stuck with a worn out sled.jmo

B
Nov 11, 2014
Cheap 08/09 sounds good, but I think 08s had a problem eating belts (or ?). The thing is I keep thinking about to the new S-36" suspension and new DS skis, it's supposed to turn much, much better. Also from all I've read the etek isnt much better than ptek. Guys in the field cant tell a difference in the gas consumption. Suppoedly even some Skidoo R&D guys still preferr to p-tek and XP chassis. etec would be nice but those do cost a lot, lot more. I'm gonna see if I can score a ptek 11 for 5200-5500.. time will tell. An 08/09 for 3-4k does sound real sensible but I was reading how by 2010-2011 they really had the ptek motors dialed with zero problems. Plus the new skis and suspension, it was much improved handling. Etek motor would be sweet though with max hp at any alt cause its direct injected. Compromise is a b----.

That gear I picked out is last years models, $100 off jacket, $100 off pants, etc,etc. Getting waterproof stuff and having my own layers underneath does sound sensible though. I'll have to keep looking into more gear.

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Bucky, since you seem to be from Great Falls make a trip by our local Skidoo dealer. He has a rack of clothing that is 50% off and I know he has some good used sleds as he has my old 2012 Summit 154 E tech 800. It was a good running sled with e start. Save the money on cloths and get a little better sled.

B
Nov 11, 2014
Good idea, I'll have to head up there. I'm just imaging how cold it will be, and I believe in good gear after being through the ringer many-a-time on my dirt bike. Especially have a lifeflight heli-ride 2 summers ago (that accident was semi-bad luck; still never broken a bone). Is market rate for an 08-09 summit sp/xp $4500, give or take 300? Does that make this 2011 summit 800 sp ptek /w 1700 miles for $5800 about average market price?

B
Nov 11, 2014
Viper I went in and looked around, tried some boots on, etc. I liked the MotorFirst boots quite a bit. I asked about the 2012, he had a yellow 2012 etec something like 2400 miles with T-motion installed. Is that your old one? He said $8500 and no less, cause he paid the guy $8000 for it and hes gotta make some money. Yeah right, like I believe that. Does that sound like yours?

My boss today tells me that if I ride the p-tec motor at Kings Hill, it will be good, but if we go somewhere else - I forget the name - Around 8000ft, it will run so bad I'll have to change jets. He said his buddies was bogging real bad, but that likely was another sled. The salesman at the powersports store was telling me that SkiDoo have a carb compensation system or something, so they dont suffer as bad. Can you elaborate? Cause I can ride my KTM 200 or 380, jetted perfectly for Great Falls elevation @ 3200', all the way to the top of big baldy, just fine, without changing jets. Ofcourse at the top of big baldy it's 10 or 11k ft high, and its a ton weaker up there, but I can still get by just fine up huge rocky hills to the top of the mtn,etc.

Last edited:
W
Oct 30, 2014
My bro and i have been racing Doos for over 10 years the clutching calibrations are much better on the XM vs XP out of the box. Ride ability is close lots of peeps like the T-Motion we prefer the rigged rear suspension which we just feel is more precises with the rigid.

www.KSL.com out of Utah has a bunch of good used sleds

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
My old sled had about 1300 miles with t motiom suspension. It was black with yellow trim, has med height windshield. Sled didn't have a scratch on it. Had electric start. It's an excellant sled. Send me a PM and we can discuss elsewhere.

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
My boss today tells me that if I ride the p-tec motor at Kings Hill, it will be good, but if we go somewhere else - I forget the name - Around 8000ft, it will run so bad I'll have to change jets. He said his buddies was bogging real bad, but that likely was another sled. The salesman at the powersports store was telling me that SkiDoo have a carb compensation system or something, so they dont suffer as bad. Can you elaborate? Cause I can ride my KTM 200 or 380, jetted perfectly for Great Falls elevation @ 3200', all the way to the top of big baldy, just fine, without changing jets. Ofcourse at the top of big baldy it's 10 or 11k ft high, and its a ton weaker up there, but I can still get by just fine up huge rocky hills to the top of the mtn,etc.

Your boss is not correct on this , however for once the salesman was telling the truth.

Skido uses a system they call DPM ( digital performance managment ) ... there is a pressure sensor in you ECU that controls a pressure manifold to change the internal pressure of your carbs.

In short it compesates for your altitude. One of the reasons your bikes have less power is because they are way too rich at higher altitude ( less air but the same fuel ). The DPM can reduce the amount of fuel as your elevaton increase.

It works very well and once you base line jettng is set there is no need to adjust the jetting based on the altitude

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Meridian, ID
Summit Sport - Carb'd models, basic entry level mountain sled.

Summit SP - In season model, meaning it's the same sled as an X model with slightly downgraded suspension and different color packages.

Summit X - Upgraded Suspension/Color choices, available by spring order only from the factory. There are other differences, like handle bars and ski's as well.

I bought an XM this year, so this will be my first year on a Ski Doo. I have ridden Polaris all my life, so I can't speak to handling or engine characteristics.

travydog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Tulare south dakota
I have a 2010 summit x 146, a 2011 everest etech154 , 2013 sport 154 and a 2014 sport 154. to me the 154 handles better than the 146. The etech is the best on gas and oil I love that part about it and to me it has more power. if you want to go new go with the sport it has tmotion and rides like a dream. there all good sleds and I would never go away from them. The sports are ptechs, but the price is good on them at 8900 I think. I ride ditches at home here and ride the black hills and the big horns and they all have done me good in all the conditions i have been in. The big difference in the x package compared to the other is manly the shocks and gauges. I am a big guy 300 lb and the stock shocks do me just fine just get them set for you and it is good. myslef i dont need the altimeter and digital gauges how often do you look down at the gauges. thats just my opinion. The only mods i have done to all of them are diff cans and estart other than that stock and i get along fine the 2010 has about 2000 miles on it and the etech has about 1500. never had any trouble on any of them.

Last edited:
Premium Features