• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Understanding Skidoo XP/X Models - Help a guy get starte

B
Nov 11, 2014
Im thinking about buying my first snowmobile, but the problem is I dont even know the first place to start. My personal drill is read, read, read! I have read a lot of reviews, primarily on the snowmobile I'm thinking of buying: a 2011 Skidoo XP 154. I am an avid KTM dirt bike rider; I know & live bikes. I have a KTM 200 & 380, both two strokes.
Here are my victims, selected for their fine price:
http://kalispell.craigslist.org/snw/4697486865.html
http://butte.craigslist.org/snw/4708163680.html

obv. I want the 154. Handling is a priority. I am located in Montana where I will be riding in the mountains.

Questions:
I have read reviews on Snowmobile.com talking about how 2011 is the first year they really revised the Summit XP. The review makes it sound like in 2011, the Summit models were the sport, SP, and X. So why are all these craigslist ads calling it an XP? Isnt the XP the older model? Here's the review I'm speaking of:
http://www.snowmobile.com/manufacturers/ski-doo/2011-skidoo-800-summit-review-1233.html

So my questions are, are these models in the craigslist ads the new X models with ETEC motors, refined handling, aluminum HPG Plus shocks & Pilot DS skis? Sometimes I've heard the X's called XPs, so I cant quite workout what's going on here. Really I should research for many more months, but the winter season just fell upon us, so I'm really itching. Please help & thanks!

Also are there any major problems with the 2011? Given that it's the first year. I have read some threads on here and one guy claimed the 2012 was much improved. It looks to me like I can get these 2011s for the price of a steal, would anyone agree?

Last edited:

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
the xp is a chassy build , all the 2008-12 and even some todays models are built on that chassy, they come with non etec motors, the Xm is the chassy the new etec come in, the x is a package of accessories a model comes with, sp is a package, mxz,is a packge and so on and depeding on the package depends on engine, track lug height, colors,shocks , electric start is on spring check orders and add ons

B
Nov 11, 2014
I'd like to spend 5-6k, if the sled is right. I thought the XP goes up to current models. Your saying xm is new from 13 to currrent? Also some of the XP's come with the etec motor, in 2011 the motor debuted, in the x & everest packages for example.

Do you guys think $5500 or $5800 is a steal or a regular mediocre deal on the two craigslist ads I put up? $5800 is the 154 Summit XP, $5500 for a 163 Summit XP, both 2011. The 154 is around 1700 miles.

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
So if you have an XP, the engine is carbed, while the XM is direct fuel injected?

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
Im thinking about buying my first snowmobile, but the problem is I dont even know the first place to start. My personal drill is read, read, read! I have read a lot of reviews, primarily on the snowmobile I'm thinking of buying: a 2011 Skidoo XP 154. I am an avid KTM dirt bike rider; I know & live bikes. I have a KTM 200 & 380, both two strokes.
Here are my victims, selected for their fine price:
http://kalispell.craigslist.org/snw/4697486865.html
http://butte.craigslist.org/snw/4708163680.html

obv. I want the 154. Handling is a priority. I am located in Montana where I will be riding in the mountains.

Questions:
I have read reviews on Snowmobile.com talking about how 2011 is the first year they really revised the Summit XP. The review makes it sound like in 2011, the Summit models were the sport, SP, and X. So why are all these craigslist ads calling it an XP? Isnt the XP the older model? Here's the review I'm speaking of:
http://www.snowmobile.com/manufacturers/ski-doo/2011-skidoo-800-summit-review-1233.html

So my questions are, are these models in the craigslist ads the new X models with ETEC motors, refined handling, aluminum HPG Plus shocks & Pilot DS skis? Sometimes I've heard the X's called XPs, so I cant quite workout what's going on here. Really I should research for many more months, but the winter season just fell upon us, so I'm really itching. Please help & thanks!

Also are there any major problems with the 2011? Given that it's the first year. I have read some threads on here and one guy claimed the 2012 was much improved. It looks to me like I can get these 2011s for the price of a steal, would anyone agree?

I think both are good buys ,as long as you look them over real good, just in case there trying to hide damage!!

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
I'd like to spend 5-6k, if the sled is right. I thought the XP goes up to current models. Your saying xm is new from 13 to currrent? Also some of the XP's come with the etec motor, in 2011 the motor debuted, in the x & everest packages for example.

Do you guys think $5500 or $5800 is a steal or a regular mediocre deal on the two craigslist ads I put up? $5800 is the 154 Summit XP, $5500 for a 163 Summit XP, both 2011. The 154 is around 1700 miles.

they might have been a snow check to get the fuel injected?

W

wakeska813

Nov 5, 2011
The Etec came in the XP chassis 2011+ any summit from 2011+ will have in my opinion the best of the best. Narrow front end (S-36) better skis better intake for fresh air etc. defently want to buy an Etec for the carbed motors (Ptec) the throttle tension is real stiff and takes a built thumb to ride all day. Been working on upgrading to all the new stuff on my 2010 summit with 800 Ptec. Got S-36 with the newest DS skis, T3 spindles, SLP intake, toms powder wedges, lower bars with freeride setup, tmotion and a SLP can. Can't go wrong with a doo plus the new XM chassis takes all the fun out of riding!!

B
Nov 11, 2014
A snow check? The review shows the X & everest models coming with E-TEK engine, new for 2011, which is fuel injected. 15% less gas used, 50% less oil used than the 800R Power TEK motor.

From the article:
The new E-TEC 800R motor, according to BRP uses 15% less fuel and 50% less oil than its 800R PowerT.E.K motor; it exhausts little two-stroke smoke and smell. The air intake area increased by 63% and was moved to both sides of the tank console area for easier breathing, and less chance of restriction in deep snow.

The direct injected 799.5cc Twin uses voice-coil injectors, which control fuel delivery using an electrical current through a wire coil that acts as an electromagnet to pressurize and release fuel at controlled rates. The exhaust valves rely on 3-D mapping in the computerized control module to effectively let the new twin react one way at low revs and perform at a higher level in mid and high rev ranges. Because the engine’s control module generates excess heat as it makes upwards of 8,000 calculations per second to control engine functions, Ski-Doo engineers devised a special liquid-cooling loop to keep the device from overheating.

This motor is torque-happy, quiet and does not emit much foul smoke and smell, as BRP declares. It is a 150+ horsepower motor and propels the Summit X, Summit Everest and Freeride with unquestioned authority. We are highly pleased with the E-TEC’s effortless throttle pull as the Power T.E.K. 800 knocked the wind out of our right arm in a hurry.

On another note: What's the difference between the MXZ, Renegade & Summit. I know it's suspension, components - bars, etc. But what are the intended purposes of each? Which has best handling for which situations/configurations/places, etc?

T
Feb 24, 2011
HILLS OF SOUTHWEST MONTANA
Bucky,

Like others have stated we don't know what your budget is? If you don't have one on a used sled I would look into a low mile Ski doo XM, you wont be disappointed. If you are set on an XP there is one for sale in Billings that I saw on craigslist (FYI guys I have no ties to this sled nor do I know the guy that has it for sale, just the description he put down says a lot to me) I attached the link so I would take a look at it if you are looking for a nice sled.

http://billings.craigslist.org/snw/4726250285.html

That is my .02 cents, good luck on whatever you decide to do.

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Bucky, I don't want to but in here but what I think is you need to take a deep breath and let's think this through. If you live in Montana you probably want a Summit, 154, 163 or even a 146 could be fun. The 800 E tech came out in 2011 and from my understanding had a few problems the 2012 is supposed to have everything squared away. There is a sport model out there, these were carborated not fuel injected. I think there was a Sport, SP and the X was the spring order model.

If you are on a budget, that's one thing but I checked the sled in Billings Craig List and it is worth a second look more money but looks good to me.

In 2013 they discontinued the Summit XP and came out with the new model, Summit XM. It's a different animal all together and will most likely command more money on resale. Some say it's worth it, I'll find out this winter. Any way what looks good might not be the best for you, you have till the first of December before you can ride anyway so be choosie.

B
Nov 11, 2014
I am on a budget; $5800 is definitely the max for me. This is because I also maintain and keep up two dirt bikes, and I'm still on an airman's budget (E-4). Not rolling in the dollars quite yet.

Viper - I didnt quite cop what you meant about the sled in billings. It looks good but the price is a bit high?? He said he would take $5800.

Also the sled in billings is an SP. What's the difference between the Summit X, SP, and Everest? Besides the Everest & the X having the E-TEC motor. Looking at the tech specs/fact sheet on Ski-Doo.com I cant really tell the difference.

I will continue the research and be choosy indeed. Considering my budget, I'm thinking of going with the p-tek motor; albeit its carbed! Viper, do you think carbed is make or break up here? obv. injected would rock, but given I'll drop $1k in riding gear, then need to spend gas driving to Kings Hill, I really cant get be any more spendy on the sled.

B
Nov 11, 2014
Also, Viper - Since you're from this region, what do you think of my gear selection? Proper for riding down to 0 degrees?

Klim Black Glacier Balaclava
In-Stock $59.99
https://www.denniskirk.com/black-glacier-balaclava.p3429652.prd/3429652.sku

FXR Racing Leather Mitts
In-Stock $82.49
https://www.denniskirk.com/leather-mitts.p3570397.prd/3570397L.sku

FXR Racing Black/Green Backshift Pro Jacket
In-Stock $239.99
https://www.denniskirk.com/black-green-backshift-pro-jacket.p3422337.prd/3422337L.sku

Spy Optic Black Whip SnowX Goggle w/Persimmon Dual Lens -
In-Stock $38.97
https://www.denniskirk.com/black-whip-snowx-goggle-w-persimmon-dual-lens.p376182.prd/376182.sku

FXR Racing Black Special Elevation Waist Pants
In-Stock $209.99
https://www.denniskirk.com/black-special-elevation-waist-pants.p3422330.prd/3422330LT.sku

HMK Black Team Boa Boots - HM915TBOAB
$322.99
https://www.denniskirk.com/black-team-boa-boots.p3416368.prd/341636815.sku

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
Wow , few mixed up facts in this thread ...

The Etec came out for model year 2011 in the XP chassis.

Again in 12 the XP was available with an Etec.

In 11 and 12 there were etec and carbed models available, I believe the X package and the Everest were etec , where the SP and Sport were carbed 800R.

in 12 the "Everest" was droped (as well as the 600 summit ) and the X and SP had the etec , while the Sport remained carbed.

In 13 the XM came out but the XP was still available with a carbed 800 known as a summit sport.

They had them pretty dialed in by then and the XP with the etec can be made to handle as well as an XM for little effort.

There was an early piston recall but other than that the Etecs are pretty solid, even then your sled needed 1,200 or something miles on them before BRP would perform the recall work.

The x package is pretty much just a pre order that comes with slightly better shocks ( rebuildable and can be revalved vs throw away gas charge ) ... and a few other odd's and ends.

T
Feb 24, 2011
HILLS OF SOUTHWEST MONTANA
Viper - I didnt quite cop what you meant about the sled in billings. It looks good but the price is a bit high?? He said he would take $5800.

Also the sled in billings is an SP. What's the difference between the Summit X, SP, and Everest?
Bucky

I am confused here by what you are saying

The sled in Billings that I posted the link to is an XP with the X package and you can only get that if you snowcheck the sled the reason I am saying it is the X package is because it has the upgraded shocks and the upgraded gauges from what I can see. The XP that is posted on Buttes Craigslist is either an SP or an Everest and I am saying that because of the holes in the plastic with the rubber grommets for a taller windshield with the side extensions......correct me if I am wrong here guys.

Like i said above I am a little confused by your responce to Viper. Are you referring the the XP in Butte saying he will go $5800 or the XP in Billings? Because if the guy in Billings said he will go $5800 on that sled then you better jump all over it. If that is in your budget you would be crazy not to buy it!!! That sled has some serious add ons that are worth some money and it has low miles. You won't be disappointed with it at all.

Last edited:
B
Nov 11, 2014
Turbo, I'm sorry I dont know how I oversaw your post! The sled you posted looks real nice but the 7k range is definitely over my budget. For $5800 I was talking about the one in my initial opening post, this one:
http://butte.craigslist.org/snw/4708163680.html - It's an SP.
In Butte, not billings. I always get them mixed up xD Sorry; Blonde moment.

My budget is 5-6k, definitely veering towards low 5's! Because I still have to drop 1k on gear after that. It's really about whats smart and reasonable, what the best deal is I can get. It looks to me like getting an '11 with all of the improvements that came in 11 with S-26" suspension/and new DS Skis, etc; it makes the 11 p-tek is great bang for buck in the mid 5k range. But even still that is my upper budget no doubt.

Last edited:
Premium Features