• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

two moto chain tension question

N
Dec 12, 2011
Hi there I am new to the snowbike world. I just picked up a 2006 KTM 525EXC with a two moto kit on it. Hopefully this weekend will be my first ride ever on a snowbike. This winter I have been riding an M7 arctic scrap. Anyways my question is how do you tighten the tension on the primary chain(chain the runs from the motor to the hub sprocket) on the two moto? I figured out how to tension the secondary chain, tension the track, and align the track but I can not figure out the primary chain tension. I asked the guy that I bought it from but he did not know, I also did not see anything in the two moto service manual. I emailed two moto twice days ago bit they are not getting back to me. Any help would be appreciated.:face-icon-small-win

R
Feb 5, 2011
Priest Lake
No adjustment

If I remember right you could get thicker plastic chain pads that bolted to the frame and took up some slack but no chain adjustment system.
Have fun and welcome to the snowbike world.

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
make yourself an adjuster. Life will be much easier..
I used a roller type wheel on a slide with a few bolts into the swingarm..

N
Dec 12, 2011
Thanks for the responses. It looks like I will have to fab something up because that chain seems a bit sloppy to me.

Take care

E

eskimojoe77

Nov 30, 2011
No adjustment

There isn't an adjustment for the front chain, seems kind of hokey, but I've never had a problem with mine, and it looks loose. Don't worry about it. Just ride and if it gets really bad they say you can change the sprocket on the jackshaft to one with another tooth, but then your gearing is changed. Unless it is hitting something or jumping teeth, just ride.

K

kraut

Dec 6, 2009
TIGHTENER

I put a good quality oring chain on ,Had to use a chain tightener that I always took with me in the mtns to put the con link in,it wasnt tight by no means but I never had a problem for 2.5 yrs of hard riding.

M

more snow

Jan 8, 2008
Nampa, ID
You should be able to flip the plastic tensioner block over. One end is longer than the other to take up chain slack (as I recall).

Premium Features