• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Kitty Kat chain tension?

M
Mar 13, 2022
Idaho
Working on friend's Kitty and put on new sprockets, next up is the new chain. Can't find anything owner's manual on how to do the chain. Do I just cut the new chain as close/tight as I can get it so it fits around both sprockets, and then just rely on the spring tensioner to do the rest?

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
yeah i did the same thing earlier this year i just had some half links to get it so i could wrap it around both sprockets and pull the two ends tight enough to put the connecter link together. it was pretty tight because with one more half link the chain jumped off. I believe there is a kit to put an adjustable tensioner on it that has a sprocket instead of the piece of plastic that is on it stock.

M
Mar 13, 2022
Idaho
I got it on, just had to hold the stock tensioner down to get enough slack for me to connect the ends. Seems to be fine.

Does this 1999 Kitty have an airbox or anything on it? The one I'm working on doesn't have anything type of airfilter or airbox and I don't know if it does or does not need one?

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
should be a little metal air box no filter though. the choke rod is supported by part of it too

Premium Features