• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo 1200 Dyno run

J

johnny be bad

Nov 26, 2007
in the getto
and remember back a few years ago!!! they all said the yamaha was a pos, heavy and know one would want one!!! now every yamaha on the hill is boosted and killin a$$. and im sure the doo will be to.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
me thinks the doo boys should be thanking yammy for doing much of the leg work in getting turbos where thay are. comparing a day one turbo today versus when yammy hit the scene is the sillyest thing I've heard yet.

And NOBODY turbo'd the RX-1 motor (read stock R-1 motorcycle motor) ever before...nope NO info what so ever...just a brand new concept that "just happened" ...just one day a guy was luuking at his 'cummins and had an apifiny..."wonder if that terbo thingy would bolt onto my RX-1"??

THATS THE DUMBEST THING I EVER HEARD!!

I started a thread of in the Yamaha section..a little DOO support would be nice...BJ

TurboT

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2008
W...Y...O
You're right Nate, let the good times roll. This will get very interesting in the upcoming years. Oops sorry, I thought this was the Yami forum. I used to ride Doo. Wish you guys the best of luck. Things could get interesting in say about 3 or 4 years;-) LOL You guys obviously haven't heard?! New lineup in 2010. Even more ponies coming!

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
Ya, not wanting to pee on anyones parade but as far as turbo technology is concerned, sleds have had little to do with the development. 420 plus horsepower being built off of a stock motor is VERY impressive first day or hundreth day. How many actual 400 plus horse yammies are there prowling the hills?? Full race or not those are impressive numbers. If one was to lower the compression, prep the head and workout the turbo system well, I would think the Nytro turbo guys are in deep sh@t!! I might have to prove it for next year...

K
Nov 30, 2007
Those 1200 turbo Cats are impressive, seen one up close. Glenn's numbers are fast. I think he did it at route 66. The 1200 doober should be a fun platform for boost.

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
And NOBODY turbo'd the RX-1 motor (read stock R-1 motorcycle motor) ever before...nope NO info what so ever...just a brand new concept that "just happened" ...just one day a guy was luuking at his 'cummins and had an apifiny..."wonder if that terbo thingy would bolt onto my RX-1"??

THATS THE DUMBEST THING I EVER HEARD!!

I started a thread of in the Yamaha section..a little DOO support would be nice...BJ

good point.

We all the have streetbike guys to thank for the four stroke turbo revolution.

M

Mcx Nytro

Nov 26, 2007
Vernon BC
Kinda funny how Doo ran down the idea of a HEAVY 4 stroke and now have one. I guess late to the party is better than never showin up. I hope the rest of the system like the drivebelts will hold up.:eek: I think Bomber has some making up to do for there loyal customers puttin up with loads of headaches, As far as Yami riders being scared,,,,I'm not worried;) nice to have some comp FINALLY on the hills, instead of idleing up to where they have broken a belt:eek: or stuck in 4 ft of fluff :mad:and blowing by,,,,should be a fun season. Wonder what the weight of a T 1200 with a real track will be, anyone heard???????

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
i dont understand why they are only putting it in a trail sled, its obvious what mountain guys want, and its huge HP toys as well, so slap a longer track on there and see who buys

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
....nice to have some comp FINALLY on the hills after I spent an extra $15,000 on my sled so I wouldn't get beat by a Skandic....

Fixed it for ya.

:)

Just having some fun with ya man, don't take it the wrong way. I love the 4 stroke yammies, but let's wait to see what BRP has in store for us before too much speculation starts. Either way, someone will be eating crow......
:)

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
i dont understand why they are only putting it in a trail sled, its obvious what mountain guys want, and its huge HP toys as well, so slap a longer track on there and see who buys

I can build a long track Renegade Turbo 1200 for anyone who wants one...

My personal sled will be a 1200T Renegade X 146/15/1.25 + studs for MN. and a 146/16/2.25 for the mountains.-BJ

O
Nov 27, 2007
Western Wyoming
Lets not forget that turbo's have been around longer than most of us have been alive. :)

Back to the subject- 200 to 225 HP at 10 to 12# of boost on the Doo 4 banger should be just right without having to tear into the motor to bulk up for higher boost.

I also would'nt even think of comparing Doo's 4 banger to Yammi's proven R1. Sorry Doo fans doo's 4 banger isn't in the same league.

OT

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Lets not forget that turbo's have been around longer than most of us have been alive. :)

Back to the subject- 200 to 225 HP at 10 to 12# of boost on the Doo 4 banger should be just right without having to tear into the motor to bulk up for higher boost.

I also would'nt even think of comparing Doo's 4 banger to Yammi's proven R1. Sorry Doo fans doo's 4 banger isn't in the same league.

OT

OT....I knew you couldnt read...and now you proved it again...

205 hp/135 tq @6.5 psi on 87 octane @ 8200-8400 rpm
230 hp/155 tq @ 7.5 psi on 92-94 octane @ 8200-8400 rpm
427 hp/275 tq @ 22 psi on 120 octane @ 8200-8400 rpm

bone stock motors..NO internal work done...see ya at the top...BJ

leisureexpress

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 27, 2008
OT....I knew you couldnt read...and now you proved it again...

205 hp/135 tq @6.5 psi on 87 octane @ 8200-8400 rpm
230 hp/155 tq @ 7.5 psi on 92-94 octane @ 8200-8400 rpm
427 hp/275 tq @ 22 psi on 120 octane @ 8200-8400 rpm

bone stock motors..NO internal work done...see ya at the top...BJ

Not to pick nits, but OT is closer to reality for altitude riding than it appears.

I have always had a problem with using boost to express hp when the baseline altitude changes. Aircraft, for instance use inches of mercury at the manifold pressure station, in short manifold pressure.

Sea level has 30" of manifold pressure or about 15 lbs of pressure outside.
Dynotech is at an altitude of ~ 1000' agl. There is 28" of manifold pressure there.
At 10,000 feet there is about 20" (10psi) of manifold pressure outside.

Now take the 230 hp power point at sea level /30" of MP add 7.5 lbs of boost / 15" of manifold pressure and at 45" of manifold pressure, it sounds like this motor makes about 230 hp.

Take that same motor up to 10,000 feet where there is a starting point of 10 psi or 20 inches of manifold pressure available, the motor needs to see a total of 45" to make its power, so the turbo needs to make 25" of manifold pressure or 12.5 lbs of boost to make that 230 hp.

Dunno if OT was doing his math this way or just shootin from the hip for the riding he does in the west/Wyoming. But technically he is right.

Like I said, I like the manifold pressure in inches method better, it brings everyone closer to speaking the same language. To bad everyone is stuck on the "Pounds of boost thing....."

D
Nov 26, 2007
Innisfail, Alberta
"Like I said, I like the manifold pressure in inches method better, it brings everyone closer to speaking the same language. To bad everyone is stuck on the "Pounds of boost thing....."

I'm not sure I understand. Pressure is pressure, .982 PsiG is the same as 2 In/HG. Aircraft/Industrial etc. use In/Hg because it is a finer measurment. The diffrence is if it is Gauge pressure (PsiG) or absolute pressure (PsiA). Absolute takes into consideration atmospheric pressure.

leisureexpress

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 27, 2008
"Like I said, I like the manifold pressure in inches method better, it brings everyone closer to speaking the same language. To bad everyone is stuck on the "Pounds of boost thing....."

I'm not sure I understand. Pressure is pressure, .982 PsiG is the same as 2 In/HG. Aircraft/Industrial etc. use In/Hg because it is a finer measurment. The diffrence is if it is Gauge pressure (PsiG) or absolute pressure (PsiA). Absolute takes into consideration atmospheric pressure.

Actually, I think you do understand, my explanation is probably not clear - or your point is better.....

In your terms, I think it would serve everone well to speak in terms of PsiA (regardless of unit of measure PSI, " of MP, BAR), unfortunately most guages sold are PsiG which does not take into account the varying baseline pressure of the atmospere that changes with altitude.

Last edited:
Premium Features