• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tree Riders Best Friend...

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I've only seen lower arms damaged this year. BDX had this set up at Haydays last fall. Kind a cool. As I rode this year I really tried to watch my a-arms and how they reacted with the snow sidehilling. From a weight loss perspective I can see this has some benefit. From a function standpoint, I can see a lot of other things I would spend money on first.

TJ427

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2012
Bismarck, ND
I had to laugh at High Time's post... The stock skis on the AC crossover and mountain sleds are truly brutal in deep snow. I have been carving a nice 180 degree turn and all of a sudden abruptly stopped with me flying forward over the machine ... This has happened 4 or 5 times this season... Each time the machine was sitting in the snow at a bout 45 degrees tipped to the side just as I was carving with the inside ski typically sitting vertical and buried, hence the reason for the abrupt stop from nice turn. Of course this means the sled is also buried and when it happens to be an 1100 turbo, you really find out who is a real friend!!

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
That design will transfer more force into the upper mount in any side load condition simply because the lever arm distance is reduced.

As for bending more lower arms than upper ones is probably due to the fact that that hits more often get taken from the outside of the ski thus putting the lower arm in compression which is usually the weaker mode for triangulated structures than tension.

The longer spindle? I think there has been too much concern than fact about that. There's already this big hunk of plastic chomping up the snow in front of it, and if the ski goes below the crust and the spindle is now breaking the crust you're already screwed. And if the full height of the spindle is breaking snow you're already well past the stage where an earlier design upper arm would be breaking trail anyways.

Besides the other a arm designs just look old school in a bad way Lol. I gotta ride chitty trail to the alpine. And cat front ends kick butt on the trail.:rockon:

Nov 29, 2007
wasifulus alaska
Shhhh... no need to yell:face-icon-small-win

Has anyone yet broken an upper A arm? We destroyed the lower, but didn't even come close to the upper being damaged.

As to the upper design, I've been running these:

398540_2450015811832_1295088056_32040452_620408364_n.jpg

For years & have had less issues than I did with stockers... I'm not too scared of the design, but I do understand that it's not as strong, I just don't think the upper is as big an issue on the PC.

I'm not trying to champion this particular design, I just like that someone is doing some work to make it the best sled it can be.
sorry about the cap lock.never took typing in school,wasent required when i was there.i like the design also and like the fact we are all sharing ways to loose wieght.dont like being towed out or worse yet helo ride.so i think ill be looking else where to drop pounds.maybe the wonderfull fuel tank,lol

Premium Features