• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What would you like to see for future improvement in the Ski-Doo mountain lineup?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I'd leave it on your sled that way nobody has to look at your storage apartment
Just talking off the cuff here.
But what might be "Interesting" was a Semi-Rigid Cloth unit that "Snapped" on and Off??
Easy On, Easy Off, just a nice temporary Wind Deflector for those COLD Early morning rides up the mountain on the trail before we dive off into the play zone.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Just talking off the cuff here.
But what might be "Interesting" was a Semi-Rigid Cloth unit that "Snapped" on and Off??
Easy On, Easy Off, just a nice temporary Wind Deflector for those COLD Early morning rides up the mountain on the trail before we dive off into the play zone.
Do people get cold without windshields? My hands used to get cold but the rest of my body has never been an issue no matter how cold it is. Got the Grizzly Cub gauntlets from Burandt this year and I can even wear my light gloves most of the time, until it gets REALLY cold. They're just held on by velcro so you can take them off easily, but I have been leaving them on all day and they don't seem to get in the way.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Do people get cold without windshields? My hands used to get cold but the rest of my body has never been an issue no matter how cold it is. Got the Grizzly Cub gauntlets from Burandt this year and I can even wear my light gloves most of the time, until it gets REALLY cold. They're just held on by velcro so you can take them off easily, but I have been leaving them on all day and they don't seem to get in the way.
I would like to try those myself.
On those days when its Negative temps, it can get chilly on a long ride in.

M
Dec 4, 2007
Red Deer, Alberta
Now with the Gen5 we have seen a lot of improvements over the Gen4 chassis, and the Gen5 have been an awesome powder slayer this Winter.
I really like where Ski-doo is going with it's model program making different models for different riders and riding styles. The X, Expert and Freeride models, It is something i hope they will develop even further and even more specific and special towards each riding style.

So over to my wishes for the style and riding i do, the Expert is the sled made for tight trees and technical riding and that is what i like to do. I rode the Expert 154 TurboR 3" this season and its far better then the Gen4 Expert for technical and precise maneuvers. The more i ride the better i like the sled and more capable it gets.
I still see a lot that could be done to make it even more specific to that kind of riding.

This is my wish list and its the things i find could be improved towards my riding style and snow pack in our area.

A new 900-950 cc engine with quicker response, more torque and power. Compared to a turbo its a lot of weight savings
15" track: lighter weight, less rotating mass, quicker response, better side hill performance in an every day snow pack and set up snow.
Narrow tunnel: less drag in the snow with narrower track, more clearing by the running boards towards the snow on a side hill
Narrower running boards: I could see the running boards go even narrower on some specific models made for technical riding, 6-8mm.
Shorter tunnel: i have found that the tunnel is still a bit to long and wide at the back when doing re-entries, bow-ties etc. In set up snow it has held me back a few times.
Shorter cooler, i also would like to see a shorter cooler that reduces or takes away the snow and ice build up at the tunnel.
Belt drive: This would shed weight and rotating mass making an even quicker response.

With all this improvements i could see a lot of weight savings, maybe as much as 15 pounds?
It also has the potential of going as much as 4cm narrower, making it the narrowest and slimest snowmobile on the market.
And of course a bigger quicker spooling engine is always the way to go for tight technical riding.

That's my wishes for the future Ski-Doo mountain program! What are you guys hoping to see?
I see a big problem with going bigger cc in a twin.
A new 900-950 cc engine with quicker response, more torque and power
The bigger the bore or the longer the stroke, equals more weight, which equals slower responding!
i would love to see a smaller cc/smaller motor with boost! would be lighter, quicker and still powerful

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Exactly, Doo hit a home run with the G5 expert. The engine is the most responsive Turbo to date and the whole package flat out works for a first year sled. I dont know if guys will pay 35 to 40k for a sled if someone looks that far into the future to try and predict where the sled will be.
I can say one thing about the G5 chassis, after getting off mine and hoping on a boost, I could actually ride the boost with confidence, without overriding it, I felt very comfortable on the boost actually. Thats how far the G5 expert package as come, I stoked to see where the refinement will take in the next chassis change, if there is one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A lot of gen 5 riders say this…the issue is when a matryx rider jumps on a gen 5. That’s when you realize just how wonky the gen 5 still is.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
A lot of gen 5 riders say this…the issue is when a matryx rider jumps on a gen 5. That’s when you realize just how wonky the gen 5 still is.

Describe wonky?

Well the matyrx rider that rode mine said the same, so I dont know. The handlebars on a Polaris are extremely wonky to me.

My point was I felt more comfortable getting on a Polaris now than I did before the G5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
Last year I had 5 Polaris guys ride my g5 expert 3 matryx boost and 2 axys turbos. One of the matryx guys and both the axys guys had G5’s the next weekend. The other two loved the sled as well. I feel far more comfortable going from my doo to a Polaris now but poos are just so planted and just not as fun to ride for me personally.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Polaris has never been as fun or playful as doo. Kind-of like my buddy's 22 pro boost 165. I would say it gets it done in the trees but not necessarily fun. 24 155 kaos boost is fun.

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
Back to the string starting topic updated to the 2025 release: the 2025 shows Doo did not fix two shortcomings. Still got the stupid short riser that doesn'tfit my height or style- I am not Rasmussen. . Of course that generates aftermarket sales for the proper riser, and some buyers might even buy the Skidoo part.
Second, Still can't get a high altitude Summit X or Xpert without the three inch paddles. Nice on the 10 percent of days it's needed, pain in the ass the other 90 percent of the days.

As to some other ideas thrown out above, I really like my Gen 5. The big "different" dimension is the 16 inch track, which marginally affects chassis width. I think the 16 inch track is a major positive, especially with the new approach angle.
Another. I will swear the Doo 850 (Gen4 and 5) grabs RPM faster and the clutching gets it to the track quicker than the competition. It has saved me more than once from creeks and holes.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Back to the string starting topic updated to the 2025 release: the 2025 shows Doo did not fix two shortcomings. Still got the stupid short riser that doesn'tfit my height or style- I am not Rasmussen. . Of course that generates aftermarket sales for the proper riser, and some buyers might even buy the Skidoo part.
Second, Still can't get a high altitude Summit X or Xpert without the three inch paddles. Nice on the 10 percent of days it's needed, pain in the ass the other 90 percent of the days.

As to some other ideas thrown out above, I really like my Gen 5. The big "different" dimension is the 16 inch track, which marginally affects chassis width. I think the 16 inch track is a major positive, especially with the new approach angle.
Another. I will swear the Doo 850 (Gen4 and 5) grabs RPM faster and the clutching gets it to the track quicker than the competition. It has saved me more than once from creeks and holes.
The last two years I have measured our Doo 16 inch tracks at 15.75 actual width.

I need to measure my buddy’s 15 inch Poo track.

The point is, there may not be a big difference between a “true” 15 inch track and Doo’s actual 15.75 track. That works out to only .375 inches wider on each side.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN

Your 1st 2 issues are resolved easily. There's no single riser size that will work for everyone, so buy a $50 riser to fit you. Buy the 2.5 track you want and change the clutching to high elevation, that's less expense than a track.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Your 1st 2 issues are resolved easily. There's no single riser size that will work for everyone, so buy a $50 riser to fit you. Buy the 2.5 track you want and change the clutching to high elevation, that's less expense than a track.
MOD THAT SLED!!!!!!!

G
Feb 9, 2014
Shuswap
I'd love to see the pointy tip on the door panel changed. They never sit flush and my pants are always getting snagged as I move my feet around.
Heat the panel with a heat gun and bend it in slightly. Cool it while holding and it will stay in the new shape.
I've had really good success fixing damage or reshaping panels to make them fit better over the years. A torch will work if you're careful.
You can also bend the metal tab behind the latch slightly to make the panel fit tighter.

Premium Features