• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track ratcheting?

P
Dec 15, 2018
I’ve never experienced it before but think it’s happening to my 21 hardcore. Does it make a noticeable vibration also besides a kinda grinding noise? I just don’t have the experience to know but it didn’t do it going slow but did going faster or with an acceleration. I looked but saw no visible thing that jumped out and track didn’t seem excessively loose but what so I know lol. Just wondering what it sounds and feels like . I’ll obviously re adjust it before I ride again. What tool or techniques can you use to tighten an alpha track with out a scale in the woods?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Track ratcheting is a loud vibration/rapid thudding sound directly below you and the fuel tank. Usually happens under a heavy load (unless it's super loose). Like full throttle climbing a hill and deep snow. On my Kmod alpha it will ratchet even with the track tight if the limiter strap is too far out. When tightening a track in the field I just tighten it a few turns on the adjuster bolt(s) until the track is noticeably a little tighter than it was before, test, and re-adjust if necessary. Worry about re-adjusting properly back at the shop.
I you think yours is ratcheting under speed but steady acceleration and your track seems tight you might have a chain case issue or a paddle torn loose that's hanging on the track and hitting as it comes around.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
in my experience its a loud ish THUD vibration, it should only occur under acceleration. People who have broken fiberglass rods which is common with the track, (4 wheel kit helps prevent it) seem to get the ratcheting as the track becomes more flexible.
If you have a Grinding metallic noise then its likely in the chain case. the auto tensioners suck, it doesn't adjust aggressively enough to me anyways, it let my chain start to grind the case it went so loose, every year I pop it off and push it in so it has just a little bit of flex, put 5k km on the chain and it was still good, swapped it out just because.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Ok thanks! Must be ratcheting ecause it was under acceleration up hill was the worst and it was just as you described a loud vibration under foot while engine did a reving kinda thing but I slowed physically down. I’ll look in the chain case too. I did the chain case oil this fall and inspected but same problem as before I don’t really know what iam looking at. Thanks I’ll buy a fish scale and do the track as directed in manual? Thanks

A
Dec 21, 2018
in my experience its a loud ish THUD vibration, it should only occur under acceleration. People who have broken fiberglass rods which is common with the track, (4 wheel kit helps prevent it) seem to get the ratcheting as the track becomes more flexible.
If you have a Grinding metallic noise then its likely in the chain case. the auto tensioners suck, it doesn't adjust aggressively enough to me anyways, it let my chain start to grind the case it went so loose, every year I pop it off and push it in so it has just a little bit of flex, put 5k km on the chain and it was still good, swapped it out just because.
I've broken two fiberglas rods and my track has started ratcheting when climbing and lots of snow resistance.. still riding the with the track but know i should swap it out..

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I’ve had good luck on tensioning my alpha track by just setting it to where the top of the track nubs are at or just below the bottom of the hyfax when free hanging. Never used a scale or weights.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Ok thanks! Must be ratcheting ecause it was under acceleration up hill was the worst and it was just as you described a loud vibration under foot while engine did a reving kinda thing but I slowed physically down. I’ll look in the chain case too. I did the chain case oil this fall and inspected but same problem as before I don’t really know what iam looking at. Thanks I’ll buy a fish scale and do the track as directed in manual? Thanks
I do 1-3/4 ish or 1-7/8" at 20#, a bit tighter than the manual says. i believe the manual is 2" at 20#.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I’ve had good luck on tensioning my alpha track by just setting it to where the top of the track nubs are at or just below the bottom of the hyfax when free hanging. Never used a scale or weights.
That's how the directions for my Kmod skinny say to do it too.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
I have used a scale and found that is about where the nubs end up good advice for a quick check if your having problems.

P
Dec 15, 2018
I just heard that alpha tracks can be destroyed fast if they come loose and everything snowmobile is new to me. Iam actually riding mine and I crash alot so I better learn some maintenance lol

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I know my alpha track stretched quite a bit the first few hundred miles so if you’ve never adjusted it, there’s a good possibility it’s loose.

Premium Features