• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

THUNDER MOUNTAIN LODGE RETIRING

Status
Not open for further replies.

CANNONMAN

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Colorado/Wisconsin
www.thundermountainlodge.net
Well gentlemen, after a lot of thought and planning I have decided that Thunder Mountain Lodge will NOT be open this winter. We will reopen May 15, 2014.

Now, before all the rumors start, we are only closing this winter because I am involved in a number of other business ventures, and one of those, due to very unforeseen circumstances will require nearly all my time this winter. Given that and the fact I am ready to retire it is time to scale back. Also as most of you know the Lodge only burned in April and has not been replaced as of yet. I had planned on rebuilding but now am leaning towards selling the cabins and letting the new owners decide what they may want in a lodge. If I were to build a new one sure as hell it would be in the wrong place, to big, to small, blah blah blah, you get the picture. So, we will let the new owners decide what they want.

From the beginning I have not devoted the time, energy, or expertise needed to this endeavor. I bought the lodge on a whim one day due to the poor service we had received when our group stayed there. I thought I have never had a lodge, and believed I could do a much better job. It has been a great 4 years and am very grateful and would really like to thank all the people that have stayed with us. It really has been a blast and I have enjoyed all the people I have met with many of them becoming good friends from all over the country. I thought about naming all of them but the list is huge and I was afraid of unintentionally leaving someone out. The people we have enjoyed know who they are and I really do appreciate their support.

Now, the lodge is for sale and there are a number of people who are trying to secure financing. One is very close and if a deal is put together they may open this winter. As of now though nothing is done and it is first come first served. The lodge is quite profitable and would make a perfect business for someone. The potential is endless on the Mesa and you cannot ask for a better living area or quality of life. If anyone is interested please give me a call. We can be reached at 970-856-6240 or 720-357-3541. Thanks again everyone. Mark

P.S. I do plan on riding quite a bit more this winter, a lot with people I met at from lodge. So just to ruffle a few feathers, I ride CAT (very similar to how Ryan Smith rides, just you know, different) (that kids the real deal by the way) so for those of you on those other inferior brands, if you can make it to the top, I'll see you up there. It's just a joke guys, get the sand out of your vagina if that pisses you off!
Peace out!

M

M1000Mod162

Nov 23, 2009
Colorado
Thanks Mark, It was always a great place to be around TML! Most everyone loved it. I know it will be truly missed up there and I think you did a Hell of a job running that Lodge! 2nd to none! I know how much time you put into it!

btw cant wait to rip it up with ya this winter, I need to learn some new tricks:face-icon-small-ton

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Ive only stayed there once for a couple of days last winter, and mark was nothing but kinda helpful in many ways. Enjoyed the SW snow updates for the mesa from mark as well. Nothing but good things to say about TML...

T

terror

Jan 26, 2010
So sorry to hear this mark. The best service up there came from you and it was the best. Going to the lodge made us feel at home. I don't know if you can be replaced, you will be greatly missed from me and my family. We wish you all the best and hope the new owner lives up to the standard you set. Thanks Mark

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I can't wait to get out and ride with you instead of just staying with you. Thanks again for all you did for The Crew.

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
Thanks for everything in the past. You were a stellar host. TML set a very high standard. Gonna miss that parking and great after ride food.

Thanks again
Don't be a stranger, lets ride
Sam

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Thanks Mark for all the great memories. You set a very high standard. You put Grand Mesa back on the map in a wonderful way over the last 4 years and I look forward to the future of Thunder Mountain Lodge continuing your wonderful service and example.

Glad you are going to be able to ride more this season.

Best to you and your family and of course, Hunter!

Good times are on CAT! :face-icon-small-win

Quinton

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Best of luck Mark. Although I only had the pleasure of staying with you the one time it was a very memorable trip. TML set the bar very high.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Good luck Mark! I did talk to you at Haydays, 2012. I Had hope to make it to TML, but it didn't happen, my loss.:face-icon-small-fro
Oh, I hope to retire soon too! Maybe someday we can race to the top. Me with my RMK, and you with your Cat. No sand!:face-icon-small-hap

B
Apr 22, 2009
Mark, enjoyed staying at Thunder Mountain last year. Best of luck to you and your future, also thanks for making our stay incredible!
Hope your cat makes it through the season! LOL

Dave " Black Betty Crew"

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
Rode at TML last winter in February, Mark was a nice guy and was truly interested in finding out if we had everything we needed and having fun. Hopefully the new owners will do the same great job running the place.

J

johnleu

Dec 11, 2008
Montrose, Colorado
Hope everything works out for you!! You where an exceptional host and we loved riding out of your lodge. All lodge owners future and present could learn a lot from your costumer service and incredible day to day attitude. You are by far the best lodge owner I have ever had the pleasure to know and you will be missed. With that said lets do some riding this winter!!

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
Mark -

The thing I will miss the most is the sweater puppies running around that place:face-icon-small-sho

Just kidding, will miss your hospitality as well:face-icon-small-coo

bushy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
Glacier View, CO
Had a great time at your lodge and riding with you last winter. Can't believe your "retiring". Enjoy your next adventure!

H
Feb 28, 2012
I PM'd you in August without response...

I hope you honor our "motorhome agreement." Thanks Mark!

So disappointing. That place rocked so much, can't believe the cabins will not be operable nor available this winter. Had several trips planned, I guess this new trails west trailer I just bought will have to become my mobile cabin.

PS Your PM box is full!

Last edited:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Mark, thanks for the donations you provided our club for our member drives and parties. Good luck with your other ventures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features