• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking about buying a 1993 Polaris Indy 600 XLT

G
Jan 10, 2020
I want to give the sled an inspection before I test ride it, but I don't know what to look for. The pictures of the sled it's overall condition look good. It has 2500 kms and still with the original owner. So what I would like to know is, what to look for on the physical inspection of the machine, and what to look and feel for on the test drive. I do have some riding experience, owned an Arctic Cat back in the 90's. I appreciate all or any enlightenment offered, and thank you for your time.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
First of all if it is a 93 then it is a 580 as the 600 didn't come out until 1995. You could do a compression test to make sure all looks good. Other than usual checks like bearings in the skid, ski runners, hyfax wear etc there shouldn't be too much wrong with such low mileage. Where and how it was stored could be a problem. If it has been sitting on dirt for a long time track rot may be an issue. Hopefully it was stored inside in a dry building so condensation within the engine didn't cause any rust. Fire it up and take it for a run if possible before you pay for it. Good luck.

C
Nov 21, 2019
As far as the engine, the Fuji 579's last year was 94 and it is supposedly the most bulletproof triple Polaris ever made. In 95 they bumped it to 597 for the XLTs and that engine had crank issues, some not all. Compression test is a very good idea, should be around 120 psi and each cylinder should be within 5-10% reading of each other. Crawl under the front and see if the belly pan is all beat up. Check your chaincase oil level, if it's low like mine was, I found out that the PO had kinked the gasket putting it back together so when I filled it to where it should be it ran out everywhere. The oil condition will give you an idea of what kind of maintenance was done. Make sure both clutches 'shift' like they should. Look at the belt really close for anything chewed up that could indicate shifting problems. Check the track clips to see if they are rusted out. Hope any of this helps.

G
Jan 10, 2020
Thank you for your replies. I will certainly have a better idea of what to look for on inspection. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience, I will no longer be going in blind. And Gentlemen, Thank You for your time!

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Those are great sleds for what they are. Really, if they were valued based on how capable they are, they'd bring a much higher price; if it were based on durability, they'd bring more yet. Hopefully the low miles don't mean it's sat unattended for years at a time. Either way, unless you really trust that the owner kept it in riding shape, you'll want to dig through it and check/replace all the wear items. Takes some time, but not a lot of money unless something's broken. Definitely clean the carbs, verify the jetting, and make sure the oiling is working. Lean burn-downs and oiling issues take down more old motors than wear and tear...

G
Jan 10, 2020
T hank you for your reply. The exterior is mint, not a scratch anywhere, However the engine bay is filthy and oily. What is the best cleaner for the engine compartment? Thanks. Also how do I post pictures of my beautiful sled?

Last edited:
C
Nov 21, 2019
Start with a shop vac and a stiff bristled brush. Try to get everything out you can. Any degreaser will work. Fill up a bucket with hot soapy water, get a couple of scrub brushes, even a toilet cleaning brush and go at it. Use old towels or rags to wipe it down. I have seen people take them to a do it yourself carwash and go to town on them with a steam cleaner. The best way I have ever seen to have electrical problems that you didn't before. I don't recommend any high pressure water around any engine.

Premium Features