• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Teenage sons.Lets hear some stories

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
i raised my kids outside, hunting, camping, backpacking and motorsports....taught them about wilderness survival, being independent, honest, best effort always, integrity, stuff that matters....they grew up, became docs...one of the things i had always wanted to do, but never seemed to make time for, was to hike the wind river mountain range in wyoming from the south end to the north end....finally decided to get it done, laid out a system of trails of places i had always wanted to see...about 110 miles, several times across the continental divide, passes with no trails and no names....planned on doing it myself, solo, always tuff to get someone to commit to that kind of time and effort...and i was definitely doin' it....once my sons found out i wasn't kidding about it, they made the effort to schedule the time off from their practices....took us 10 days, about 11-13 hours a day hiking, and it wasn't easy stuff, anybody from wyoming knows the winds....an epic trip that will always be remembered, bonding thru overcoming the difficulties we faced, an experience that few have and i will likely never experience again....wouldn't trade it for anything in this world....so if you have kids, make it worthwhile, give them an example of somebody to be...they'll always love and respect you for it....163 d-8 coming next nov 15th

G
Nov 11, 2006
The best place in the world
i raised my kids outside, hunting, camping, backpacking and motorsports....taught them about wilderness survival, being independent, honest, best effort always, integrity, stuff that matters....they grew up, became docs...one of the things i had always wanted to do, but never seemed to make time for, was to hike the wind river mountain range in wyoming from the south end to the north end....finally decided to get it done, laid out a system of trails of places i had always wanted to see...about 110 miles, several times across the continental divide, passes with no trails and no names....planned on doing it myself, solo, always tuff to get someone to commit to that kind of time and effort...and i was definitely doin' it....once my sons found out i wasn't kidding about it, they made the effort to schedule the time off from their practices....took us 10 days, about 11-13 hours a day hiking, and it wasn't easy stuff, anybody from wyoming knows the winds....an epic trip that will always be remembered, bonding thru overcoming the difficulties we faced, an experience that few have and i will likely never experience again....wouldn't trade it for anything in this world....so if you have kids, make it worthwhile, give them an example of somebody to be...they'll always love and respect you for it....163 d-8 coming next nov 15th
Holy crap good job Dad .My goal for many yrs. has been to take each son when they turn 16 on a road trip to California in a hot rod ,and it sounds like it might come true this summer..:):)

N

NDflatlander

Nov 21, 2007
Jamestown, ND
I know my dad will likely never read this but this gives me a chance to thank him for everything. I grew up on a farm and we both spent a lot of time together working our butts off to get things done all summer long. I've learned many valuable lessons from working with my dad on the farm. I learned the rewards that a person will reap for hard work. I realized that life isn't always fair. I was fortunate enough to spend almost everyday during the summer working with my dad from the time I was old enough to see above the steering wheel until I graduated from college and moved onto my career path. I said that I would never turn into my dad, but the older I get I can see him in me more and more and now I'm proud that I'm able to use so much of the knowledge that he has taught me.

Premium Features