• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

T3 SHR 860 with Aerocharger Build

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
Fuelling idea makes sense, might increase fuel a bit on wot...I ussally run around the 12.8 to 13 on a/f on wot looking back at a few vids

Second look As for Ramps I still have in toms alum ramps. Very similar to the 414/441 and run the 1mm over size rollers... The Lower Start force on primary spring ussally dictates more belt squeeze does it not?

Run the standard shockwave helix at about 4.5 turns out, did try the reverse cut ramps but thought it was spongy, not sure if your spring is aftermarket but mine is the stock, might have to try the stock reeds double up

Is your gearing taking into effect driver size? And seven tooth drivers

yes

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
After breaking connecting rod last spring and builder seeing same thing happen on another dozen boosted etecs, decided to go with aftermarket rods on theses builds

My rod snaped after a second or two of wot, so it seams that we could be exceeding the strength of the rod on spool up.. It also makes a lot of damage when a rod goes out

We are going with snow x rods on both builds but would like to try titanuim rods if I could find some, know of a few others that run them very successfully

image.jpg

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
rod

ouch!!! "knock on wood" but my boosted etecs have been mechanically bulletproof.

After breaking connecting rod last spring and builder seeing same thing happen on another dozen boosted etecs, decided to go with aftermarket rods on theses builds

My rod snaped after a second or two of wot, so it seams that we could be exceeding the strength of the rod on spool up.. It also makes a lot of damage when a rod goes out

We are going with snow x rods on both builds but would like to try titanuim rods if I could find some, know of a few others that run them very successfully

T

Turbopower

Apr 6, 2008
If you had a better fuel management system, you would not be having problems with rods. All the impulse turbo last year ran great with no rod or piston failures.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Lol, this is no fueling issue, lots of guys have the same issue with rods breaking, ask around, I had no problems in three years than it happened..

My engine builder got me thinking, he has seen and heard over a dozen, and the bb turbo would only push the limit even quicker

Lot of tq put on rods on spool-up

S
Jan 16, 2008
Lincoln MT
Rod failures RARELY fail in a properly running system. You most likely had detonation or WAY to high of cylinder pressures.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
I thought of that as well. Happened right after turning boost to 8lbs...

No det codes or signs on the piston of det..

hope it does not happen agin with the aftermarket rods installed... Time will tell

M

Mountain_Man

Apr 17, 2014
Western Montana
I notice the rod appears to be locked to the piston. It may have happened after it broke, but maybe not.......

It's very possible the rod broke because of a piston pin issue that locked them together and didn't allow free rotation. If pins seize because of oiling or clearance issues you are apt to have problems, and if the pin is not strong enough it can bend and or distort into an oval shape which also locks the piston and rod together. Pin bores on the piston or rod can become distorted for various reasons which will make them tight on the pin.

That could be the reason the skirts are broken too. I don't have any experience with Ski-Doo engines and parts per se, but with drag race V-8's. So I don't know what parts you need to keep from breaking, but in many other engines it's pin problems that cause the rods to break.

If the rod broke because of a pin issue, replacing the rod with a stronger (presumably) one may not be enough to fix your problem, you may need to address some other issues as well.

T

Turbopower

Apr 6, 2008
I don't need to ask around about other turbo kits with rod failures lol. I know what is working. 25 Impulse turbo's xm on snow last year and not one rod failure. You should be asking why Impulse can run a lot more boost than your set up and not lose rods.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Pin and piston are free

not sure on the impulse setup, but on the aero and tss we have seen a few, maybe because they sell Ten times more...might also say something to impulse hp, but I bet it's just volume of kits in the field.. Time will tell

Here are a few I reported in last few weeks of running thread

http://www.snowandmud.com/ski-doo-turbo-464/con-rods-breaking-turbo-motors-95664.html

I don't need to ask around about other turbo kits with rod failures lol. I know what is working. 25 Impulse turbo's xm on snow last year and not one rod failure. You should be asking why Impulse can run a lot more boost than your set up and not lose rods.

Premium Features