• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

sway bar. run it or remove it.

flying frenchman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Ditch it. You know Chris Burandt ? I can throw my sled around pretty good like him. After you set it up right, the sled does what I think. I love my Pro's handling. Doo-it. Lol

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I installed one on my assault and I like it better. I now run less preload on my shocks it handles better all around

nottyn8

Premium Member
Sep 15, 2013
Reno, Nevaduh
Took mine off to try it and liked it a lot. I'm 260 pounds with all my gear, and did nothing to my suspension, just took the bar out. Still rides great, and makes an already awesome mountain sled, better. I definitely recommend giving it a try.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
Just leave it in.

If you can't sidehill a Pro with the SB in....you either need a different suspension setup or a different weekend activity....

What he said. I have a buddy that took his out and swears by it; but he also had to crank his springs all the way down...which is causing no travel left to deal with and I'm guessing could lead to a potential problem.

i'd say take it out, if you need it in you should retire and maybe take up knitting;)

So m8sandman...do you own a pro and if so tell us your actual experience with taking it out, meaning ...how did it perform b4 and after (both trail and mountain) and what adjustment did you do to your shocks.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
I made the switch to a 2012 Polaris RMK 800 this year and this is my first sled with a sway bar i've rode Arctic Cat M sleds since i started riding so I've never had to deal with sway bars. All my buddies who ride Ski-Doo and Dragons have taken they're sway bars off but i'm curious as to what everyone riding the pros are doing with the sway bar. I ride tight technical trees for the most part not much of anything else any input would help thanks.

What year of m you coming off of? I had an 08 then went to an 11 (both 153 tracks) and you can't tell the sway bar is on.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
The Pro is very easy to test w/ it disconnected. Do it and then decide.

I tried a ride or 2 w/ it disconnected, and with the stock shocks/springs it didn't feel 'better' to me.
Every sled prior to the Pro I removed the sway bar..

Maybe with shocks setup for no sway bar it'd be OK, but w/ stock shocks there was too much body roll and it felt too 'wrong' on off camber situations, specially in setup/spring snow.

But, this is just another personal pref thing IMO. Setup your sled the way that 'feels good' to you.

R

Rev Kev

Nov 27, 2007
Lapeer Michigan
Ran mine for 2 years with the sway bar in, this season, I removed the SB, and had the stock WE shocks revalved, and running Raptor Triple Rate Springs, and I love it.

D
Nov 16, 2011
My thoughts are that when upgrading shocks, it's a worthwhile thing to do because your new shocks are valved/sprung correctly.

Stock shocks/springs are valved for what, 160? So a 220# rider would have to crank them way up as to not bottom out. With the sway bar in place that gives a much tougher response on a side hill or on edge and stiffer on the rebound.

To really benefit from not running it, your shocks need to be set to your weight.

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
If your going to spend a sheet load of $$$ on new shocks, remove it. if you are leaving it stock keep it in.

flying frenchman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
Alberta, Canada
You don't need to spend a sheet load on shocks, just get the Assault RMK Springs. They work super, soft when you need it but will not bottom out. Easy fix.

R
Jan 8, 2019
Nome, AK
Pro-RMK Sway bar or not?

I have a 2013 Pro-RMK 155 and have really been considering unhooking the sway bar. Looking for input before I do away with it completely. I really don't care much about trail manners and thanks to the awesome glued A-arms the front end has been replaced with Timbersled 39" arms completely and kashima fox air shocks. Just curious what other people are doing with the sway bar. Thanks!

I have a rush 660 with wide arms and fox qs3r air shocks, still no snow, but curious how having no sway bar worked for you?

Premium Features