• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sway bar or no sway bar on Khaos Matryx?

Dec 13, 2015
I was wondering the pros and cons of taking the sway bar off of my Matryx Khaos. I took it off my 17 Pro RMK and I thought it helped make it easier to initiate with but that was the wider front end. I’m leaning towards taking it off this one too but wondering if there’s any benefit in keeping it on. Thanks

C
Dec 14, 2020
It'll roll hard in the corners if you ride any trail to get to the powder.

Need to get the shocks revalved or they'll bottom easier and knock you off edge.

Not that it's wrong, but it'll take some suspension work to get the stability back.

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
I was wondering the pros and cons of taking the sway bar off of my Matryx Khaos. I took it off my 17 Pro RMK and I thought it helped make it easier to initiate with but that was the wider front end. I’m leaning towards taking it off this one too but wondering if there’s any benefit in keeping it on. Thanks
Give it a rip with it unhooked. You will find out soon if it's for your type of riding or not.
My experience is pre Axys chassis was a good move to take it out. Axys chassis was sketchy without it on stock shocks, I am sure the Matryx is the same / worse

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
There's nothing wrong with trying it, but keep in mind that the front end is set up with that sway bar in mind. So if you're without it, the downward side will be compressed more and more likely to bottom out. There are pros and cons to running without it, but to get the best of a setup without the sway bar, you'd ideally be tweaking shock valving and spring rates. I pulled the sway bar on my old EDGE and switched to dual-rate springs; it's just a rough step in the right direction, but those old sleds need all the help they can get to get on edge. I've never rode without it on my Pro because it's still a challenge to adjust and hold it on edge when I hit a bump as-is; you're not necessarily going to bottom out all the time without it, but you're a lot more likely to, and get thrown off edge. The way I see it, the sway bar is extra weight and expense. If getting rid of it made things better for technical riding, you'd see at least some sleds coming without one.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
It's a win. Way better off trail and you can live with in on trail. To do it right probably need revalve or resprung or both. One big win is it gets rid of unwanted feedback through the bars when hitting rutted stuff. If shocks were set up better they would be really good but not as good as swaybar. Most people just unhook them and then it really sucks.

Last edited:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I ran without one on my Axys, I thought it ruined the handling on and off trail. Terrible roll on the trail, and pretty much the same thing off trail. Once it started going one direction it made it significantly harder to change direction.... I would say the balance of the sled WITH felt similar to riding a ball, and without it was like trying to ride an upside down triangle, if that makes sense.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Try it and see what you think. Stiffen you the front Shock spring when you do. I have two 22’ matryx 850’s. Disconnected the sway bar on one, honestly didn’t notice much difference between the two. How deep the snow is will also affect it. If you want it to lay over completely effortlessly, get a 34” front end.

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
That was that first thing I removed from my Khaos 165 NA last year. I just picked up a '23 Boost Pro and it's the first thing I removed off of that one as well. You notice it on the trail but the sacrafice there is way worth the gain in the back country for me.

alorenzanthony

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 27, 2011
Bottineau ND
I have a 2022 khaos 165 aftermarket turbo I always have had my sway bar hooked up until this year. I put a new a arm on and must have forgot to tighten the nut for sway bar. I love it with out its a little harder on the trail but worth it.

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
Sway bar is always the answer.
If sway bar isn't the answer.....then you have asked the wrong question lol.

Off trail riding is fine w/o bar on stock shocks. Fast connecting trails is where I found it to be very twitchy in the corners with bar removed.

KootenayD

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 25, 2022
Kootenays
Late to the party I know. I have found the WE shocks will handle the front end 'ok' without the sway-bar. If you install good aftermarket shocks, like the Fox QS3 Evols, you can really dial that front end in without the sway-bar. Don't even try it if you have the monotubes!

Premium Features