• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summit X 850 Expert package Reviews

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
My wife hated the expert and she loves the gen4. I actually wasn't in love either. Runs awesome. Rides awesome. Just felt planted or front heavy to me. Softened rear spring , boosted fts, fixed adjustable limiter strap so it works in long position and narrowed ski stance. Take it out and see this weekend.

So this post has been lingering in my mind because yesterday I got to ride a friends 2021 expert turbo 165 and had the same initial impression you mention above and in other posts. Planted and heavy.

I have a ‘19 165sp and quite like how it rides and handles with limiter strap full long, lockout, dampeners, torsion bushings and the suspension stiffened up quite a bit. Very playful and planted on edge.

So my buddy and i switched back and forth a bunch, he was blown away by the difference in the two machines, much preferring my sled aside from power, which at 6500 feet didnt matter a whole lot.

We started playing with adjustments on his sled and eventually figured out that the front/center limiter strap was full short/tight. So we let that out all the way. Then we noticed that the cam lever on the adjustable limiter strap was broken. After some figuring, we just removed that limiter strap (which was on the shorter of the two settings) all together. The front area of the track dropped/extended approximately 3 inches until the front limiter caught it.

He took it for a rip and it was an entirely new machine as i thought it would be. Light and playful front end, he was giddy riding the rest of the day in modest snow with the new found rideability in his sled after 1400 miles of the front track area locked down tight. He still needs to sort out the rest of his shock settings now, but it’s a completely different ride.

We looked at everything comparing to my sled and i dont think there’s any issue with running it without the adjustable limiter strap. In the back of my head there’s a little bird saying keep an eye on things though, are we missing anything?

Just some food for thought.

Last edited:
Premium Features