• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summit Stumbling Engine; Still in Break-in Mode.

W

WestCoast

Jan 1, 2014
North Cascades
Hey everyone! Just coming off a 2012 RMK to this 2018, 850 Summit 165 with a 3" track.

HUGE step up. Totally stoked on the single ride I did last week, except for one thing...

The concern I have is that I experienced a few "stumbles" in the engine. My first shakedown ride on Saturday, we rode a closed mtn hwy that varied from 18" to over the hood powder for a 60 mile break-in (75% left after we finished). On the way in, we stopped plenty and let the engines and belts cool. The snow started out shallower then got deeper as we gained an elevation of 5,500'. I experienced a slight hesitation while the RPM's were around 6-7K on some broken up pow going around 35-45 MPH on the way in. On the way back, going much faster (55-60 MPH) in snow that was more broken up but plenty soft and deep, I experienced the same thing but it was pretty consistent until I slowed it back down to 40's MPH. It felt like I was running out of gas ( I DID have <1 bar of fuel on the gauge). I would pin it and get track and ground speed to match and I felt like it would sort of cut out then back in. I was over revving at 4K on clicker 3 to around 8100/8200 occasionally (Max over rev read 8350). I have since gone to clicker 2, but have not gone out to test it yet. (Looking at a clutch kit to remedy this, possibly).

So, my real question is: was this a function of the ECG in break in mode and designed to protect the engine? Has anyone else experienced this/ is this normal for break in? Was I just running out of gas? I would say yes, but it did it on the way in. Was it the rev limiter?

The guy who sold me the sled is a mutual friend of my riding buddies and he said that it happened to one guy and went away after break in, but to keep an eye on it. I might be reading into it but he looked like he was a little concerned.I also talked to my dealer (owner) and he says it's normal and should go away. Don't really know him yet, so I thought I'd ask you guys for an uninvested opinion. I think I'm just being paranoid after reading some of the nightmare stories of belts and the brother's cousin's roommate of so and so blowing up their third engine.

Thanks in advance! I really appreciate the shared knowledge on the forum. I've learned a lot about Doo's (perhaps more than I should know-it seems to invoke a certain level of paranoia with these 850's…).

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I experienced a slight hesitation while the RPM's were around 6-7K on some broken up pow going around 35-45 MPH on the way in.

On the way back, going much faster (55-60 MPH) in snow that was more broken up but plenty soft and deep, I experienced the same thing but it was pretty consistent until I slowed it back down to 40's MPH.

It felt like I was running out of gas
( I DID have <1 bar of fuel on the gauge).

I would pin it and get track and ground speed to match and I felt like it would sort of cut out then back in.

Does kinda sound like a fuel delivery issues doesn't it.
Fuel Filter?
Bad Fuel?
Water in the fuel?

Did you notice that it did the same thing when the tank was FULL or was it just noticable as you got down to the last bar on the gauge?

On my 4th 850 now and have NEVER experienced this yet.

D
Mar 13, 2014
Mine did this to me one time this year trying to go up a steep deep hill. I looked at the belt etc and everything looked fine. Not sure it nay have even been in my head. It was a really deep day.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Can almost guarantee it's clutching...needs to be loaded harder to avoid the "rate of rpm" increase. It's a protective feature that helps prevent overrev if a belt blows or is suddenly unloaded.
Add weight or go with heavier flyweights/less primary spring for our lower elevation. Also much better on belts and performs better.

W

WestCoast

Jan 1, 2014
North Cascades
Does kinda sound like a fuel delivery issues doesn't it.
Fuel Filter?
Bad Fuel?
Water in the fuel?

Did you notice that it did the same thing when the tank was FULL or was it just noticable as you got down to the last bar on the gauge?

On my 4th 850 now and have NEVER experienced this yet.

I thought I felt something on the way up with nearly half a tank. Was a brief weird feeling. Could have been snow in he tunnel.
On the way down it was definitely there and reproduceable. I had one bar of fuel. It’s good nonethanol fuel that I’ve always used in my sleds. I’m going with the over rate RPM as I was maxing 8100 on pulls and over rev tach read 8350 when I got home. I was definitely grabbing a handful when it happened each time and going near max speed. No codes. Clickered down to two. Just going to send it and see if it happens again.
Also ordered a DJ kit. Hopefully this helps with a multitude of clutching issues that seem to plague this otherwise amazing machine.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I’m going with the over rate RPM as I was maxing 8100 on pulls and over rev tach read 8350 when I got home. I was definitely grabbing a handful when it happened each time and going near max speed. No codes. Clickered down to two. Just going to send it and see if it happens again.

Hopefully its just that simple then!!

Best of luck!

Premium Features